What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earth Hour

I will have my powetr out... hmm my plants can take a 1 huor naopi guess from 8-9 tommorow :-))

I always turn off lights that I don't use, but I'll be re-doubling efforts to turn off everything that doesn't need to be on.

Aaaaand I'm gonna take this opportunity to break out my telescope. And if my neighbors don't turn their lights on, I'll ... politely knock on their doors. :)

Meh.

More environmental empty gestures. I think I'll use extra electricity today on purpose!

I agree with the empty gesture comment, but saying you'll use extra electricity on purpose makes you seem almost, ummm, American.

hehe......

Yeah, only Americans use power and consume resources. We're pigs I tells ya! PIGS!!

Didn't you know that Alexis??

I agree with the empty gesture comment, but saying you'll use extra electricity on purpose makes you seem almost, ummm, American.

Heh. I've never heard of this; pretty under publicized, I'd say. The telescope idea is a good one, if everyone were actually to do it.

xvart.

Which you know not every one will, cause they need that hour of light. I can understand if its an emergency, but seriously.

Ooops . . . I forgot to turn off the lights. Does that make me bad, or do I get a pass because I was working on biostats project? As for me saying Alexis seemed almost American, that was because of "I think I'll use extra electricity today on purpose!" But we do consume energy and other resources at an amazing rate.

i forgot to too, but every thing at my house was turnned off I was having fun at a friends house. haha

I'm keeping my flourescents on for my plants.
I do however have my computer set to turn off instead of using a screensaver and I turn lights off when I'm not using them. My mom calls me the light police.

I never turn on my tv in the day or let it on in the night. It's only on 1-2 hour for 24 hours.

I wasn't home and forgot to turn all my lights off before I left. :( I feel so guilty...

I did it (mainly just to have an excuse to use the telescope :p) I upgraded the software on the telescope... Went outside about 10 mins prior, got all set up and calibrated and waited for all the park lights to turn off (you know, the big tall ones for the baseball and football fields)7 came and went 7:30 came and went 8:00 came and went 8:30 came and went... all this time, no one using the fields yet about 5 fields worth of lights blaring (plus the neighbor's back yard flood light that seems to aim right into my parents back yard) so it kinda sucked... I did manage to see the rings of Saturn, the nebula of Orion some random globular/open clusters... I attempted 2 galaxies that I can usually find on moonless nights, but on this luck I had no luck with either :( At least the telescope is up to date (it was 10 versions behind, the software must have been 3 or 4 years old haha) so at least I'm set if I decide to travel outside the city any time soon....
Andrew

Im just curious..
why do you all assume lots of people knew this was going on?
like with the park lights?

if it werent for this forum, I wouldnt have even been aware of "Earth Hour"..
I have never heard it mentioned anywhere else..
and I read the newspaper every day, watch the news on TV every night, and also check internet news sites fairly often, CNN etc....I consider myself "above average" when it comes to being informed on current events..and the ONLY place I have ever seen Earth Hour mentioned is this one thread..on an obscure CP forum...
I just mentioned it to my wife..she said "never heard of it"

I would guess that 99% of the population had no idea it was even happening.

Scot

It was all over the news here... Phoenix (a larger city north of us) even did a big "shut off extra lights" ceremony I heard... Where they turned off the extra lights in city use... That's why I thought the park would go by that... But really, shouldn't the big park lights be off when not in use anyway? Not only during this particular hour lol

edit: on a quick search, i found this on the city's web site... http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei...arth+hour+hours&d=YfStAvH_Qh0C&icp=1&.intl=us

Back