Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: polished water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this by typing the question into google a different way
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fish-1472...-polishing.htm
    it sounds okay to me if this is what they did to it but does anyone see a reason not to use it still?
    i also found this just now
    http://www.labwater.com/shopdisplayp...ishing+Systems
    I'm also not sure if they polished it before or after reverse osmosis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the aquarium world, the term "polished water" means water that has been REALLY super-filtered..RO, multiple micron filters, carbon filters, running it through a mile of fine-gained filter floss, etc etc..

its taking tap water and running it through as many filters and RO units as possible, so as to get it super-pure..

I came across the term while raising Discus..Discus keepers go through amazing lengths to get hundreds of gallons, sometimes DAILY, of super-pure water..
    (buying distilled isnt an option..unless you want to spend $200 a day to buy it! )

Thats the only definition of "polished water" I have ever heard...super ultra filtered and purified fresh tap water..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember back in probably the late 80's or early 90's, there were filters being branded as water-polishing filters. If I remember correctly, they were made by Vortex and they used diatomaceous earth to polish the water. They looked similar to a canister filter and filtered out *tiny* particles out of the water, making it super-clear, or polishing it.

The last time I saw something similar being used was on a Marineland filter, like a Magnum 350 and a H.O.T. Magnum (Hang On Tank) canister filter. They had these filter inserts that were made out of cloth or something that were used to polish the water. When the filters got clogged you could soak them in a bleach / water mixture and they would release all the particles they had captured and were ready to be reused.

I say all of that to concur with Scot in that it's a filtering mechanism, though I've always seen it in reference to a stage of mechanical filtration, not chemical or biological filtration. In my personal experience, I've only seen it used to polish water that's in a tank containing fish, it obviously took place after the reverse osmosis process.

Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the ro memberane removes almost everything so I do't think they remove anything more maybe they oxeygenate the water to get rid of the very flat taste taste rain water(tastes great normally) then taste fresh ro (flat and bland)maybe that is considering polished water ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever it is, my Neps did just fine on it for two years, including the finicky highlanders. Just try one plant or have it tested if you are worried about it.

Having your own R/O at home is the ultimate no hassle way to go though - save up it's soooo worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given where you are, it isn't a bad idea to think about an alternative water supply, but don't panic. Assuming you're connected to Wichita's public water supply, here's what your water contains - http://www.wichita.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...yFWAverage.pdf. Most CPs wouldn't want to live on that exclusively and some might be very unhappy getting much of it. But I think lots of people waste their money to obtain water purified far beyond what's required. Neps aren't too picky and they'd probably be ok watered with your tap water at least half of the time, as long as they get flushed well every watering and get "cleaner" water sometimes, whether it's purchased, filtered at home or just falls from the sky.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12