User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cheapest place to get square pots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a square-pot fan.

I prefer the round-pots; dunno why...........

(the square-pots are actually an octagon aren't they? I just noticed that...)
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    I'm not a square-pot fan.

I prefer the round-pots; dunno why...........
    For space, square pots are the pretty obvious winner. Periodically I may need to place a plant in a 'hospital zone'. A quick, easy way to do this is place a clear plastic cup (or frosted - depending on circumstances) over the pot. If the pots are round - this works really well.

However, when things get cramped and I haven't needed to take any plants to the emergency room - I find myself wishing for square pots ... (but I bought a case of 2.5" round a few years ago...).

The one type of 'pot' that I would not recommend are used yogurt containers. While they work for a while, they are not treated to handle UV exposure. A few months go by, you pick up a pot and it crumbles in your hand ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go between square and round pots depending on what application I want to use them for. For the plants I keep in my personal collection, I use round plastic pots that I pick up from Wal-Mart or Home Depot. They're a terracotta color, and they're a little expensive, but I really like the look of them.

For any plants that I make divisions of, or seedlings that I don't plan on keeping, I use square pots. They typically hold more soil than a round pot and I can fit a lot more square pots than round pots in the same amount of space (which is at a premium for me in regard outdoor growing).

I've been getting my square pots (3.5" and 4.5") from a particular nursery on the west coast. Service is top notch and I'm a repeat customer of this place but the pots are shipped priority mail which makes the overall cost a little higher. Still, I love both the design and materials the pots of made out of, so it's been worth it (in addition to supporting a privately owned business as opposed to a major chain).

I'm always on the look out for square pots, but I *HATE* those little flimsy thinwall pots like are used for annuals. I haven't tried any of Andy's pots, but they look like they would do nicely for me.

I'd really like to see a good source for larger square pots .

I'm like PK... I'd like to see a good meeting of quality and price (don't we all?), but I would definitely pay a premium price for pots (in a variety of sizes) that were designed well, made from decent material, resuable, and preferably manufactured "greenly."

Will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know WHY people like the square pots; they fit together better and thus save growing space. What I don't like is that they DO fit together too well and I find them difficult to shuffle around as you cannot get your fingers in between them easily.

I understand that the small square-pots are perfect for mass propagation; seedlings & cuttings & such... (saving a lot of greenhouse space) (that's probably what Andrew does...)

I just prefer round-pots, though they may take up a little more space. The reason of aesthetics alone, is enough for me.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't try to force a round plant into a square pot!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    haha caps I have although used a square inside a square. You offset them, (using the not pointy corners) to sit diamond inside the other.. then you can have like LFS on the outside and dryer stuff like some high sand content mix.. Seems to work well
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I ended up getting 20 5.5" and 24 4.5" pots for free from a local nursery. Even if they break, I think I have a never-ending supply of them as long as I live in Lubbock. As my grandpa from the old country used to say, "For free? Take." :P
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    28 cents a pot shipped? Nope. We'd prolly be looking at $5.49 for $10.00 Plus shipping... looks like 30 would cost $7.40 to ship. So final after shipping cost would be about $.80 a pot. There are cheaper pots out there, that are a flimsy plastic (vacuum formed and such, generally recognized by a small flap over lip at the top). If you're looking for a long term pot, that will stand the test of time, use, and abuse I advise against those.
    Andrew

Edit: D_m- Do you have some of those sitting around? Do you have an accurate shipping scale? I'd love to know how much 10 of them weigh (in oz) to help compare the quality.
    no I have not ordered from them but I have some of the pots they sell, not any ones that are not full of soil though, the pots are nice quality and i used there shipping estimate thing.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123