What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cheapest place to get square pots?

I have limited room on a rectangular shelf, so I want to convert to square pots. Where can I get some of the bigger ones (4"-10") for cheapest?

Maybe you can finally buy something from Andy... :-D

He only has 3.5", and I need bigger than that. Mostly 4.5 and 5.5". I found 5.5" pots for 58 cents a piece...I think that's the best I'll get.

I can get the 4.5"s... Any idea on how many you would be looking for?
Andrew

Ummm 20-30. Any chance you can beat 28 cents a pot (that's the cheapest I've found them so far)? :D

There's a nursery around here that usually just gives me square pots for free, but I feel bad going in there and grabbing like 30 at a time without buying anything, so I'm trying to explore my other options.

28 cents a pot shipped? Nope. We'd prolly be looking at $5.49 for $10.00 Plus shipping... looks like 30 would cost $7.40 to ship. So final after shipping cost would be about $.80 a pot. There are cheaper pots out there, that are a flimsy plastic (vacuum formed and such, generally recognized by a small flap over lip at the top). If you're looking for a long term pot, that will stand the test of time, use, and abuse I advise against those.
Andrew

Edit: D_m- Do you have some of those sitting around? Do you have an accurate shipping scale? I'd love to know how much 10 of them weigh (in oz) to help compare the quality.

McConkey's

http://www.mcconkeyco.com/

But they only sell wholesale so you need a resale license and you have to buy in bulk by the case. Depending on what you buy it can work out to about 10 to 20 cents a pot. Of course you have to buy 500 to 1000 at a time.

You can always unload them on eBay for an indecent profit.

Andrew's prices are very good.

yep, they're cheap alright... 1500 of theirs weighs 32lbs. 1500 of the brand I carry weigh 90lbs. That says a little something for the quality of the product. Those work great if you are potting up seasonal flowers or something... but for the way I use pots. I want something that I can use for years, then when it comes time to transplant or whatever, clean the pot and reuse it. I have only lost like 3 pots in the 5 (or so) years I've been using these pots, and that's to stepping on them. and that doesn't count for the hundreds I've steeped on and NOT broke :)

Would you guys really rather cheaper made pots for lower prices? Or better quality pots for a little more? ???

Definetly rather buy from you i meen come on whats a better way to also suppport the froum for all the help they give us by letting uds use their website for getting help? Also quality is much better cause than you dont bneed to buy a whole new batch all the time and you can keep the same ones

-Ryan

Would you guys really rather cheaper made pots for lower prices? Or better quality pots for a little more?
A happy medium :D (I'm a penny pincher).

Here's the place I'm looking at: http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/square.asp
They have two different 4/5" pots. I'm guessing the 36 cent ones are heavier. I like my pots slightly flimsy because it's easier to transplant things. You can just shake the plant out without destroying its roots in the process.

Those two look to be of similar material... I would say the price difference is because of the depth difference (one is 3.5 the other is 5) the 5" deep on would end up at $.67 ea. Really not that much cheaper than mine.. for the quality. Not only do mine flex enough to release a plant, they actually boast having a smooth interior so the plant slides out... It makes them easy to clean as well. I think you can see the difference in the photos :)

P1010372e.jpg

Andrew

Just make sure you are also getting a good material though cause you dont wanna have to buy the same pots again next year cause most of em broke or somehting

I use the same square pants...I mean pots, that Andrew is showing up there and they work great. Totally flexible for removing plants. They are the best one I have found so far.

Andrew, the quality of the JMC and Dillen pots are comparable. Side by side there is little difference. The plastic is just as thick and flexible.

For round pots again the Dillen or JMC are very popular.

I'd say 90% of the CP nurseries on the West Coast use the JMC pots like the JMCS4125, JMCS412535U, JMCS200, JMCS275.

If you've bought plants from Booman Florals, Gubler's Orchid, or Nurseryman's Exchange they're in JMC or Dillen pots.

McConkey's has the advantage of being local to me so if I ever need a lot of pots I can just drive down there and pick up a few cases and save on shipping.

I don't use either of those. Like I said above, the weight difference between those and mine looks substantial. I would think that would have to mean something... ??? I really can't say more than that unless I had one of each in my hand :)
Andrew

I'm not a square-pot fan.

I prefer the round-pots; dunno why...........

(the square-pots are actually an octagon aren't they? I just noticed that...)

I'm not a square-pot fan.

I prefer the round-pots; dunno why...........
For space, square pots are the pretty obvious winner. Periodically I may need to place a plant in a 'hospital zone'. A quick, easy way to do this is place a clear plastic cup (or frosted - depending on circumstances) over the pot. If the pots are round - this works really well.

However, when things get cramped and I haven't needed to take any plants to the emergency room - I find myself wishing for square pots ... (but I bought a case of 2.5" round a few years ago...).

The one type of 'pot' that I would not recommend are used yogurt containers. While they work for a while, they are not treated to handle UV exposure. A few months go by, you pick up a pot and it crumbles in your hand ... :censor:

I go between square and round pots depending on what application I want to use them for. For the plants I keep in my personal collection, I use round plastic pots that I pick up from Wal-Mart or Home Depot. They're a terracotta color, and they're a little expensive, but I really like the look of them.

For any plants that I make divisions of, or seedlings that I don't plan on keeping, I use square pots. They typically hold more soil than a round pot and I can fit a lot more square pots than round pots in the same amount of space (which is at a premium for me in regard outdoor growing).

I've been getting my square pots (3.5" and 4.5") from a particular nursery on the west coast. Service is top notch and I'm a repeat customer of this place but the pots are shipped priority mail which makes the overall cost a little higher. Still, I love both the design and materials the pots of made out of, so it's been worth it (in addition to supporting a privately owned business as opposed to a major chain).

I'm always on the look out for square pots, but I *HATE* those little flimsy thinwall pots like are used for annuals. I haven't tried any of Andy's pots, but they look like they would do nicely for me.

I'd really like to see a good source for larger square pots <hint>.

I'm like PK... I'd like to see a good meeting of quality and price (don't we all?), but I would definitely pay a premium price for pots (in a variety of sizes) that were designed well, made from decent material, resuable, and preferably manufactured "greenly."

Will

I know WHY people like the square pots; they fit together better and thus save growing space. What I don't like is that they DO fit together too well and I find them difficult to shuffle around as you cannot get your fingers in between them easily.

I understand that the small square-pots are perfect for mass propagation; seedlings & cuttings & such... (saving a lot of greenhouse space) (that's probably what Andrew does...)

I just prefer round-pots, though they may take up a little more space. The reason of aesthetics alone, is enough for me. ;)

Back