What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is up with CPUK?

• Thread starter Ispahan
  • Start date
different forums offer different experiences.......there are thousands of hunting and/or shooting forums out there but i only visit one 99% of the time cause i like how the owner and one other moderator run it, if can you believe that, a forum with, that as i make this post has 411 registered members and 289 "guests" online, and thats low numbers cause it isnt a peak time and there are only two moderators.........actually a really good site, where for the most part the general membership polices its ranks........this is the only CP forum i frequent, check in on the CPUK form bout once every other month, dont think ive been to any of the others for much the same reason as i like the hunting forum.....i like how this one is run...........

That is great news that CPUK is back online. Thank you to everyone who answered my question. I was afraid it was gone for good.

Although I only very rarely post on CPUK, I find the posts especially informative. My main area of interest is tropical Pinguicula and some truly amazing growers post there on a regular basis or are at least available to answer any cultivation issues that might arise.

Terra Forums and CPUK are two of my most frequently used bookmarks, but I do not think it would be fair to compare the two. Both are filled with tons of fantastic information and both give a slightly different perspective on things.

Yea... I too love to frequent different forums. I started on TF, and I love it, but I tend to learn more on pitcher-plants forum. I don't post as much there though because it is mostly experienced growers and I only share when I have something meaningful to contribute.

yeah, I know there is no "monopoly" on forums..

im just saying..just because you CAN make a forum doesnt mean you SHOULD.. ;)
if the topic is already covered, a new forum is pointless and redundant.

and it dilutes knowledge and sharing of knowledge..
some newby might google "carnivorous plants forums"
and find there are 10 of them..they pick one at random and post a question..
weeks and months go by..no answer!
they think "bummer..I guess no one is interested in CPs on the internet..I dont have time to try out all those other forums, join them, post a question, only to have the same thing happen...one of those 10 forums might actually have some people on it, but which one"?

meanwhile, if 8 of those 10 forums never existed in the first place,
the newby would have immediatly found the two active forums, and would instantly be happily posting away in an active discussion community..

I know..its just a pet-peeve of mine..
you dont have to agree..

if a new forum isnt necessary..dont make it.
just because you can, doesnt mean you should..

Scot

LOL! That was exactly me in November of 2003... and the one I happen to choose out of TF, CPUK, and Garden Web - was G.W., not knowing any differently. Who knew?

I totally agree :D One mega forum instead of 3 forums now CPs in the Tropics is different like it is a international nepenthes forum mostly

I like having different forums because of different crowds. Most people at CPUK grow highlanders, but I don't, so there's not too much a point in my attendance there. PetPitcher is mostly lowland growers, which helps me out a lot. They're also mostly from SE Asia. TF has hands-down the best general discussions part. CPIT on the other hand, is for nep experts. Everyone I want to talk to is there. However, I agree with what some others said...the patrons there aren't too nice to newbs if you wander outside of the "beginner" section, but I think thats justified. After enough "what's happening with my ventrata" posts, especially when they're burying important taxonomic discussions, you start to get a little peeved.
Personally, the only thing I've found the ICPS forum good for is contacting Barry or Bob.

Or asking how to mix media.... :)

Back