Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is up with CPUK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JLAP... different forums have different flavors... ones lighter hearted, one's scientific, one is built on experience, and so on. Sometimes I direct one question to a specific group, other times I direct it to all of them.

I can see how the segmentation of forums is rough at times for the second example. Yet I know not all of those groups may appreciate youtube robot videos, or the finer art of what a lolcat may be. In that case I appreciate the different groups... but like all pros, there's always the con of things like massive newbie posts, misleading answers, smiley faces, etc. But that's just how it goes I suppose.

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I tend to agree that several people do not research enough before posting, I think a lot of cases involve reassurance. No matter the amount of reading done, being reassured about whatever one is doing with a new plant (for example) leaves a more positive feeling and makes one feel less blind to the topic, especially if you are new to something. I know I felt this way when I was starting out. For me I did the reading, but I still had to ask the questions just because I felt my case could have been a bit different from what I had read. I also wanted the reinforcement from those that are experienced.

Iíve see this phenomenon happen on multiple forums... it never stops.

Just my 2 cents...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the meantime --
    CPUK is back online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I don't mind helping newbies until my fingers fall off from typing, but at one particular board, I get furious if I see a question from one.
    I don't suppose you'd be talking about any newb in particular pk...that was a long time ago lol.
    I'm not too fond of CPUK...it has some great things about it like the growlist thread and a good trade section, but I think I'd enjoy it WAY more if there was a more active nep section.
    I don't really post much on CPIT anymore because I don't have much to say in terms of heated science-taxonomy related discussions. I still read that forum daily though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    different forums offer different experiences.......there are thousands of hunting and/or shooting forums out there but i only visit one 99% of the time cause i like how the owner and one other moderator run it, if can you believe that, a forum with, that as i make this post has 411 registered members and 289 "guests" online, and thats low numbers cause it isnt a peak time and there are only two moderators.........actually a really good site, where for the most part the general membership polices its ranks........this is the only CP forum i frequent, check in on the CPUK form bout once every other month, dont think ive been to any of the others for much the same reason as i like the hunting forum.....i like how this one is run...........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great news that CPUK is back online. Thank you to everyone who answered my question. I was afraid it was gone for good.

Although I only very rarely post on CPUK, I find the posts especially informative. My main area of interest is tropical Pinguicula and some truly amazing growers post there on a regular basis or are at least available to answer any cultivation issues that might arise.

Terra Forums and CPUK are two of my most frequently used bookmarks, but I do not think it would be fair to compare the two. Both are filled with tons of fantastic information and both give a slightly different perspective on things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea... I too love to frequent different forums. I started on TF, and I love it, but I tend to learn more on pitcher-plants forum. I don't post as much there though because it is mostly experienced growers and I only share when I have something meaningful to contribute.
    - Daniel

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    yeah, I know there is no "monopoly" on forums..

im just saying..just because you CAN make a forum doesnt mean you SHOULD..
    if the topic is already covered, a new forum is pointless and redundant.

and it dilutes knowledge and sharing of knowledge..
    some newby might google "carnivorous plants forums"
    and find there are 10 of them..they pick one at random and post a question..
    weeks and months go by..no answer!
    they think "bummer..I guess no one is interested in CPs on the internet..I dont have time to try out all those other forums, join them, post a question, only to have the same thing happen...one of those 10 forums might actually have some people on it, but which one"?

meanwhile, if 8 of those 10 forums never existed in the first place,
    the newby would have immediatly found the two active forums, and would instantly be happily posting away in an active discussion community..

I know..its just a pet-peeve of mine..
    you dont have to agree..

if a new forum isnt necessary..dont make it.
    just because you can, doesnt mean you should..

Scot
    LOL! That was exactly me in November of 2003... and the one I happen to choose out of TF, CPUK, and Garden Web - was G.W., not knowing any differently. Who knew?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast