What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Pots - How do you keep your mix from falling out the drain holes?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I was wondering what people use to plug the drain holes in their pots; not to keep water from escaping, but just to prevent spilling out the dirt. I'm about to make up several dozen (possibly hundred) of those plain black nursery pots in preparation to divide a number of overgrown colonies of clumping 'dews. Normally, I would lay a little LFS in the bottom of each pot to prevent my media from spilling out over time. However, I sometimes have problems with LFS rotting at the bottom of pots, and that aside plugging that many pots would be time-consuming and expensive with sphagnum. The next alternative I can think of is rough gravel, but I don't have a cheap, clean supply handy. Suggestions?
~Joe

Orchid bark or LFS.

edit: or you could even use rocks if you clean them well.

xvart.

If I'm only filling a few small pots, I'll use coco fiber. For more or for larger pots, I use fallen tree leaves from the previous fall. Crumple them a little and they won't block the holes and, even though most of the leaf will rot, the fibers/veins remain and provide enough structure. Your mileage may vary.

sphagnum moss. Holds moisture in it too!

Fiberglass screen mesh. If you know someone who has recently repaired a window or door screen they probably have some scrap left over.

Oh, fiberglass mesh is one that hadn't occured to me. Nice idea, NaN. Maybe I could use the scraps of bird netting I have lying around to a similar end...
~Joe

I put a bit of dried LFS in the bottom of the pot.

Normally, I would lay a little LFS in the bottom of each pot to prevent my media from spilling out over time. However, I sometimes have problems with LFS rotting at the bottom of pots, and that aside plugging that many pots would be time-consuming and expensive with sphagnum.

See, I'm looking for ways /besides/ using LFS. A handful of LFS x 200 pots / 10 handfuls per two gallon bag of crummy LFS = 20 bags, and 20 bags x $3.79 a bag from the hardware store = way more money than I'm ready to spend on a bunch of D. binata and capensis. ($75.80 to be exact.) The peat and perlite I'll be using for most of my fill in this project cost less than $60, and that left me feeling lucky that I've scavenged/been given the pots for free.
~Joe

Coarse perlite works too, depending on the size of the drainage holes. I forgot how much a 3 cubic foot bag of perlite is, but it's pretty cheap.

I was gonna suggest plastic screen too NAN, thats what I plug my nursery pots with that have 1" holes. A 48" W roll of plastic screen is almost free ($4.95) and lasts practically forever. Works good for building impromptu reptile and insect terrariums too!

I use both LFS and also fiberglass screen mesh. The screen works very well and can be cut into any shape to fit any pot. And like Swords mentioned, its very durable.

I use coarse perlite, they kinda of lock themselves to each other preventing them from falling out.

Coffee filter cut to fit.

some kind of random crap moss, or lava rock, or orchid bark, or mesquite chips.

A paper filter? Really? I guess it'd be worth a try... You don't have problems with them breaking down over time?
I think I'm going to fill my smaller sized pots first - I should be able to use just perlite with those. I wasn't able to find much of a selection though, so I doubt it will be coarse enough for my big nursery pots. I have to make another trip to the hardware store soon so I'll probably just pick up a roll of screen like swords mentioned.
Thanks guys,
~Joe

I've used napkins and paper towels before... However, when I tried to remove them several months later it was a little difficult.

xvart.

I would recommend Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, it has a little bit of bark in it and with this type of growing medium, I've never had a problem.

Interesting! Doesn't it decompose though?
Yes, they decompose over time, but they potting mix has usually settled/compacted enough by then or is so full of roots that it stays in the pot. The biggest problem I have had with using filter paper is it gets plugged if there is a lot of fine particles in the peat. This is fixed by poking holes in the paper through the pots drain holes, but if you make the hole too big, the media gets out through it. ??? Sometimes, ya just can't win.

Back