What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep.... Another new feature :)

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Okay- So first I added the shout box to help cut back on some of "those" topics ;-) I feel it is working pretty well personally! Plus, it's just fun heh...

In my on going battle to prevent all those repetitive "newbie" questions I have added yet another feature. First off, remember that we are a VERY newbie friendly environment here. But I think we would all be just a tad more happy if there would be some research done before posting a question to the forum.

What the new feature will do is take your new topic title, and automatically use that to search the forum, and return search results that may be related right there! It's very quick, very easy (takes no extra work) and puts the results right in front of you. I think this should help cut back on basic questions quite a bit... we have YEARS of topics on this forum, I refuse to "trim" them from the forum because all that information is so useful (when the search features are used) And now, it will be put to even more use!

The first thing I thought of after installing this and checking it out was that a lot of old topics will be bumped with new questions... So I added another hack that will alert users right above (or below? lol) the add reply button if the topic is old and if so, how old... That way it can be decided by the user if the topic is old enough to be left alone, and a new one started... Or a reply to it should be made.

So, lets try these out :-O Has anyone noticed it already? Once you do see it and check it out... Let me know whatcha think!!

Hope your weekend is going well!
Andrew

Pretty slick! :bigthumpup:

cool!

I took a spin around the new features, and I must say that I think the one that tells you how old a thread is especially great. What are the increments? I saw one year, and six months, but didn't work any harder than that.

xvart.

I currently have it set to 3 weeks... Don't really know what I want it at yet :p from there it will say "X weeks old" up to "X month(s) old up to "X year(s) old" ... so 1month 1 week will show more than a month old... 1 year 1 month will show more than a year old etc.

OOOOKKKKK, so that explains why when I just posted a 'seeds for trade', it had a few threads listed with the same title. SLICK! I only wonder if a newbie will recognise that the threads listed may be helpful? Great idea though. :bigthumpup: :bigthumpup: :bigthumpup:

I think the way it populates when you click down to start writing your topic catches your attention.. And you can't help but read it. From there, it should make sense to click on a topic if it seems relevant :)
Andrew

Thank you.... just... just... thank you.

*tear

Probably the most useful feature on any forum board I have witnessed since the internet. Fantastic Andrew! :D thanks soo much! :D

That IS pretty cool!! You are the best forum manager ever!

They should try that feature over at Groundspeak. They get SO irritated with repeated topics over there.

Thanks for all the work you do here to make this the BESTEST forum. :D

Thanks everyone! I try :)

PAK- It really IS the "bestest" ain't it?? :-O

Sweet. Similar to Yahoo Answers.

Great addition! :-O

EDIT: Hey Andrew, is this new? (See below...)

Last edited:
EDIT: Hey Andrew, is this new? (See below...)

The first thing I thought of after installing this and checking it out was that a lot of old topics will be bumped with new questions... So I added another hack that will alert users right above (or below? lol) the add reply button if the topic is old and if so, how old... That way it can be decided by the user if the topic is old enough to be left alone, and a new one started... Or a reply to it should be made.
Andrew

Yep ;-) I am trying to fix it so it doesn't push the button over though :-\ at the top add reply it looks right, but the bottom is not....
andrew

Oops... I guess I need to read better! :)

This is a cool feature. Since I am a new member I'll chime in here. I did find it for the most part to be very welcoming. I did occasionally have someone jump down my throught for either messing up the taxonomy, but nothing too crazy.

I call this place home now for my carnivorous plant needs :)

Cool you noticed it without reading about it though!! Looks like you were checking out the feature :) hehe

PS- your signature ends with "[/size]" you may have some coding to fix :)

Cool you noticed it without reading about it though!! Looks like you were checking out the feature :) hehe

PS- your signature ends with "[/size]" you may have some coding to fix :)

Yup. I went to do a search after I initially posted here and saw the notification on the old thread. Then I came back and made an edit to my post. So, yeah the "warning" did stand out.

Oh and thanks for telling me about the sig thing. Fixed it... I didn't notice it before. :)

Back