What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picture i took last month

upper

Capensis Killer
my mini-ish pot(now it has a dixie lace in it too.)
the sarracenia is an oreophila, and who here can locate my dana's delight that looks dead?
& btw all my VFT are all healthier now, new ones are growing, almost all of them have the whole inside of the trap pure red.

my attempt to grow live sphagnum using peat,LFS,and very little live sphagnum. and alot of water as you can see under the table.

(you can see the live bit on the lower left corner of the "pot".

oh & btw, up until now, there hasnt been much green in the "attempt to grow live sphagnum" part.

Looking good. That second pot sure looks wet!

you woudnt believe it, but that contains about half a gallon of water. but live sphagnum still isnt growing that fast xD

ps. did you locate my dana's delight?

My sphagnum is starting to look green so hopefully it's comming to life and the dana's delight is in the bottom left corner to the right of the VFT.

Nice pictures of the fly traps are you keeping them outside now?

Mine are finally able to be outside day/night last week and this week though there's two days forcasted as rain/snow on the weekend so I'm hoping that'll be the last of them.. =\

The sphagnum culture looks a bit too wet to me, are there drainage holes in your container? It doesn't need to be waterlogged just keep it moist- as if there were orchids or Nepenthes growing in it. When it's too wet algae and other undesireables will easily start to grow in it.

Also, it looks like you have big pieces of chopped LFS in there, I find it works better if you grind two dry handfuls of it together into a flakey powder this seems to release the moss spores increasing the colonozation times a bit. Wear a mask it's bad dust! There's no need to use a peat underlayer for farming sphagnum, simply putting an inch or so of milled dry LFS in a jiffy seedling tray, if kept moist and illuminated it should grow sphagum in a few months.

Back