What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to Party Like It's 1988!

• Thread starter xvart
  • Start date

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk! This goes out to all those Kansas growers and other Jayhawk fans. It's been a long time coming. I grew up in Lawrence and remember in 1988 being on Jayhawk Boulevard (I was seven) when they won the NCAA championship. I live about 45 minutes from Lawrence now, but the footage on the news looks insane! Massachusetts street packed with people for blocks. What a trip.

xvart.

Kansas growers and other Jayhawk fans

all the above.

A national championship and an orange bowl win, Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!

I cant say im a Kansas fan, but it was a great game! They were down what, like 9 points with 1:45 left? Amazing. Great game, great last second heroics, thew whole 9 yards. It was great! I'll bet you wont see Memphis doing anything for a while too!

Btw likeAstone, your sig., do like Chicago? I love that song!

I cant say im a Kansas fan, but it was a great game!

Yes, it was probably one of the best NCAA championship games I've seen in a while. I didn't get a chance to watch many of the tournament games this year, but from reading the box scores, it seemed like most of the games were blowouts with double digit leads. More than I love my teams winning is just watching a good, intense, back and forth game.

xvart.

Once Duke exited I lost interest!

Btw likeAstone, your sig., do like Chicago?

Oh yeah! I like the old stuff mostly, they were at their best when Terry Kath was still alive.

I would have preferred to see any of the other three final four teams beat Kansas, but I don't mind them winning. I was just happy to see my adopted home state team UConn go down in flames at the beginning of the tournament and for Duke to follow them in the next round. Those games made the season for me.

Was Terry Kath the one who shot himself playing around with a .22? Is that better or worse than a tragic gardening accident which authorities said is better to leave unsolved?

Being in NE and a fellow Big 12 guy, I would have liked to have seen KU win. I saw Memphis lose instead. Honestly, I feel really bad for the Memphis faithful.
Destiny, I guess, as there were so many little things, that is any one of them had gone the other way, Memphis would have won.
Oddly, even down 9 with 2:12 left, I knew(I do not know how) that KU was going to win somehow.
Anyway, good job KU! Way to represent the Big 12!

Cheers,

Joe

Was Terry Kath the one who shot himself playing around with a .22? Is that better or worse than a tragic gardening accident which authorities said is better to leave unsolved?

I'm not sure...

Anyway, good job KU! Way to represent the Big 12!

My bracket (which did horribly - in the bottom two brackets I only had KU left by the end of the second round!) had KU facing off against Texas for the Championship. Wouldn't that have been great for the Big 12?

xvart.

Was Terry Kath the one who shot himself playing around with a .22?

Around 5 p.m. on the evening of January 23, 1978, after a party at roadie Don Johnson's home in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, Kath — being a gun enthusiast — took a .38 revolver and put it to his head, pulling the trigger several times on the empty chambers. Picking up an automatic 9mm pistol, Kath put the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger, infamously saying, "Don't worry, it's not loaded." (After showing the empty magazine to his friend.) However, one bullet remained in the chamber , killing him instantly — a week shy of his 32nd birthday.

Brilliant. A little more than a .22 and I can't believe how long ago that was - I was still in high school. But it doesn't have anything to do with the Jayhawks and I guess it's time to return to the regularly scheduled discussion.

Back