User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to make the right mouse button of a touchpad open new tab in firefox?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to make the right mouse button of a touchpad open new tab in firefox?

Hiddey hiddey hey peeps. Got my new shiny laptop today. Good news is that it's super fast. Bad news is that using a touchpad takes some getting used to!

Whenever I use a mouse, I press down the scroll wheel above a link and that opens a new tab for me in firefox. With this touchpad, I don't have a scroll wheel and I'm never going to use the left mouse button, so I was wondering if there was a way that I could make it so that a press of the left mouse button over a link will open a new tab in firefox, but not change the page I'm viewing.

And this fingerprint reader is a Godsend! No more typing in a thirteen letter screen name and an eleven letter password (and typing it wrong and having to do it again...)! I feel like James Bond. I love the twenty-first century.

Actually, a new window would be just as nice. That way I could use those neat flip 3d and preview features that Vista sucks up my resources for! Future!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my best advice is get a mousepad that plugs into a USB port.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not what I asked, but thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most touchpads are built by Synaptics. Even though yours 'works,' it's just a dumb downed driver. If you install the companies driver, you get to do other things. This is what I copied from there website.

Programmable Button Assignments
    The Programmable Button Assignment feature allows users to configure the action performed when a button is pressed. For example, users could define the right button to “go to a web page in the default browser.” Each time that button is clicked, the web browser would automatically open and load the specified page. However, the factory defaults for mechanical buttons are generally set to emulate primary and secondary mouse clicks.
    I installed the driver to take a look, but it wanted me to reboot, and I'm feeling lazy. So see if this gets you in the right direction.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, that didn't work unfortunately. I didn't even see an option to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me...

Start Button > Control Panel > Mouse > Device settings (has a red icon) > Settings > Buttons > Left Button Action (I used the right one) > Record and play a sequence of key strokes > Press start button > Press CTRL T > Press stop button. Keep hitting all the okay buttons, and ta-da! My firefox now opens a new tab every time I click the right button.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your new laptop is running vista just go into control panel > mouse click the Buttons tab. On the Right Mouse drop down select "Key Macro". This should pop up a window click start then hit CTRL T the stop then hit all the OK buttons.

This is basically the same thing MrFlyTrap2 said with a few changes for the way my Vista system is set up by default.
    Small Growlist: Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh-Oh. I do not see that option. I see "switch primary and secondary buttons" , double-click speed, and clicklock under the buttons tab.

Something else weird is that while I'm typing, without touching the touchpad, my cursor will go somewhere totally random within the body of text and I have to delete what I typed, go back to where it should be, and type it again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast