Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: need help getting an RO unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    325ppm right outta the faucet. I've grown accustomed to the flavor of nickle.............
    1031PPM here. No joke.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Hmmm......
    ***Seeing pictures of other people's RO set-ups would be kinda helpful.
    here is mine...

RO/DI/PP/90% ASO system:
    blue = permeate
    blk = prefiltered water
    yellow = brine
    red = fresh water inlet
    white = bladder tank
    clear = system inlet and outlets

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooooo SWEET!!

Nice set up!!

The diagram DOES help.

Man, it looks pretty big too. Would all that fit under/in your average kitchen sink I wonder??

Thanks Av!!
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fry,

Im not sure how they do it, but a lot of ppl put them under the kitchen siink... either they have really big cabinets or I have really small cabinets LOL

But, normally the DI stages isnt mounted vertically, I do that to prevent channeling of the beads, and the Permeate Pump upgrade takes up more room... etc etc

So yes and no LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av,

What function does the Combination Valve and ASO Valve perform??

AND, where is your spicket in the picture? (how do you fill containers?)

thanks,
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    whoa!!!!
    Let me just pre-empt that right now...........

Av,

Where is THE spicket located on your RO setup??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fryster View Post
    Av,

What function does the Combination Valve and ASO Valve perform??

AND, where is your spicket in the picture? (how do you fill containers?)

thanks,
    Fry,

The combination valve is the manual flush valve and flow restrictor. Water is allowed to "flow" across the surface of the membrane, it is not just forced through it as you normally think. This allows the garbage to be carried away from the surface of the membrane instead of being forced down into the material. This is why a membrane can last for years and the prefilters cant.

A calibrated flow restrictor is required to balance the need for flow across the membrane while at the same time allowing some pressure differential to build up. Most membrane manufacturers require a 3 or 4:1 brine rate or their warranty is void. You will see some systems advertise a 1:1 ratio, well this is fine but it requires additional manual flushing of the membrane, so what is really accomplished? I am happy with the 3:1 or 4:1 brine rates, anything greater than that is a sure indication something is wrong somewhere.

The manual flush valve simply bypasses this restrictor. This allows full flow past the surface of the membrane, washing it clean (in theory)

ASO:

For the membrane to work properly a certain pressure differential must be maintained from the inlet compared to the outlet. When the captive tank is empty the outlet back pressure is basically zero. The inlet pressure is at maximum (for sake of this reply lets assume 50 psig).

So when the unit first starts the difference in pressure is 50psi which is great. Now as the tank fills, the outlet backpressure increases proportionally. As this happens the brine rate increases, the rejection ratio decreases. At some point the pressure differential becomes so little that the brine rate grows to a point where all the water is going out the drain and very little if any is going to the tank.

The typical 60% ASO valve prevents the pressure differential from ever getting closer then 40%(outlet compared to inlet pressure)

But with a permeate pump the tank pressure is isolated from the outlet of the membrane. Outlet pressure on the membrane is maintained at around 5psi regardless of tank pressure. So now we can effectively fill the tank to 90% of the systems inlet pressure with no increase in brine rate and no TDS creep. The pressure differential is now constant... with just a few psi being lost due to system inefficencies (friction losses mainly)

The resulit is a 80% drop in waste water, the tank fills twice as fast, the prefilters last twice as long (or more), TDS creep is eliminated and membrane life is extended.

My spiket is located at the end of the outlet hose... it is hanging somewhere near my grow rack, I dont have it permantly mounted to anything. I use it like a garden hose basically

hmmmmm did that answer your questions?
    Av

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast