Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: need help getting an RO unit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh,

Bladder tanks, permeate pumps and ASO valves are typically not used with holding tanks. You will simply use some type of float valve to stop inlet flow to the RO unit when the holding tank is full.

Now as far as the effects of a softener on membrane life... I just dont know mate. Im no chemist but as far as I know the softener is replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. So if this is a one to one replacement (assuming all else being equal) will the membrane live longer?... I dont know but on the surface I wouldnt think so. However, I have no experience in this application. But the advantage to the sodium ions is they dont precipitate out and cause scale build up in pipes or react with soaps to form scum.

so the inlet TDS may be equal, but just a different ion...

good question, maybe a RKI can chime in, I have no idea of how the molecular mass compares... or even if that would be a factor

now my brain hurts LOL

Av

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read on a R/O website that sodium was easer to filter out than the minerals and extending the life of the membranes. I was just wondering if you had experience with that. Just making sure the site was accurate.

Also could a bladder tank, premate pump and ASO valve be used with holding tanks to make sure there is always water on demand if my holding tanks are full of fertilizer or empty? I only have 2-15 gallon containers ATM. I have to try to get a couple more then maybe I will not need the bladder tank and such. Thanks for the info Butch.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    josh,

I dont see why you coulnt tee the output and run it to both holding tank and bladder/permeate/ASO

of course when the holding tank is filling the flow will naturally be diverted from the bladder tank (path of least resistance), you could use ball valves to prevent this but other then that I see no caveats

oh and of course the float valve would have to be used on the outlet, downstream of the tee... which might be better anyways

would love pics and operational feedback when you get it all up and running k

HTH's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen this contraption? http://www.zerowater.com/technology_business.php

I saw a demo in Home Depot last year and couldn't remember what it was called until just seeing a commerical on TV. They're claiming 0 ppm and " the water in terms of having little else in it but hydrogen and oxygen"

It's supposedly about $100 at HD. I'm going to look a bit further into this, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences on it or not?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ilbasso,

It is a nice idea, IIRC what makes it zero waste is the fact they pump the brine into your homes hot water system instead of down the drain. A simpler way would be to capture the brine in a big plastic garbage can and water your non Cp plants with it. Another option would be to run the brine outlet directly to a soaker hose for your outside plants

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about that Zero Water gizmo? ( http://www.zerowater.com/technology_business.php )

I was looking at it at HD this afternoon and it is nice an compact, affordable, and seemingly effective.

Let's say I were to try it out-what would be the most effective way to thoroughly test the water for CP friendliness? I wouldn't just take the meter that is enclosed as the gospel truth so is the PetSmart fish desk's test enough or would I be better off taking it elsewhere?

I remember in the demo in the store last year, the woman had some water with a little bit of bleach in it, dumped it into the system and drank the results. Come to think of it, I never did see her again after that....

I can't find reviews on it yet so I may just have to try one and see. But not just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just go to the store and check the TDS & PH of the water it produces

~b

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast