What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Tester

Hi Everyone,

Due to the lack of rain, I've hooked up my Reverse Osmosis Unit.

I want to check the quality of water that it is putting out and was going to purchase a water tester that measures ppm.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as what type of water testers are the best?

Thank you in advance for any useful information.

Giovanni

The Hanna meters are very good, though they can be a bit expensive. I got mine on eBay a few years back.

Thank you Fina for the recommendation. I've been looking around and it seems like they all just measure the PPM of the water supply with a rating of 0 to 100 being acceptable for carnivorous plants.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Giovanni

I'm not sure exatcly what you're looking for to test in the water. How about an aquarium test kit? They measure the levels of many different chemicals, etc in water.
-Matt

Yes, 1-100 is fine for CPs.

I'm not sure exatcly what you're looking for to test in the water. How about an aquarium test kit? They measure the levels of many different chemicals, etc in water.
-Matt

What you look for in water is how much solids are in it (salt, minerals).

Av,

Thank you for your great post!

Looks like I'll be going with the TDS-EZ meter to test the type of water my RO unit is putting out. Is this ok or should I get a higher end meterl?

Thank you!

Giovanni

Sweet link AV... thanks for that :). Do you know how reliable the TDS-EZ is by chance AV?

Daniel

italo, Ive been using an economy model for years and have been very well pleased, the cheap units have an accuracy of 3%, so when you are dealing with less then 10ppm, a 3% error is irrelevant, even at 100ppm 3% wouldn't matter to our application.

When mine fails I may get the next model up, but its no biggie... but now these would be nice to have (in addition to the hand held) for monitoring membrane rejection ratio... just mount one side on the membrane inlet and the other on the membrane outlet, then do the math... very cool

plus you can get calibration fluid from the same vendor for 5 or 6 dollars if you really want peace of mind...

Nep, with devices such as these, the chances are that there is only one or two manufactures of the controller IC, so regardless of which brand you buy... if you looked at the guts Id say you would see the same parts

and again, they can be re-calibrated with a screw driver and recalibration fluid...

but they have been around a while... mine is a different brand, but it is an el-cheapo as well

HTH's
Av

The Hanna meters are very good, though they can be a bit expensive. I got mine on eBay a few years back.

I have a Hanna and I got it on ebay, but it wasn't expensive at all. I can't remember what I paid but it was pretty cheap.

Nep, with devices such as these, the chances are that there is only one or two manufactures of the controller IC, so regardless of which brand you buy... if you looked at the guts Id say you would see the same parts

and again, they can be re-calibrated with a screw driver and recalibration fluid...

but they have been around a while... mine is a different brand, but it is an el-cheapo as well

HTH's
Av

Awesome AV... once again you make the technicalities understandable. Thanks again!

Daniel

http://www.amazon.com/IntelliTEC-Digital-Water-Purity-Tester/dp/B000EVU2LC

Got it today!

Thank you Av, now I'll really know when it's time to change the filter on my RO unit.

italo,

with a good pressure gauge you could do the same thing with for your prefilters

check the pressure going into them and the pressure coming out, when the differential is more then 5 or 10 pis its time to change prefilters.

No more guess work, you will get maximum membrane and prefilter life

P.S., its also a good idea to smell your membrane and prefilters when you change them out, if bacteria is detected you need to use them more often, ideally you should be using them daily to prevent stagnation.

YW Daniel.... happy to help if i can
Av

Back