Thread: Any Fossil Experts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
    A swallow carrying a coconut?
    it could grip by the husk.

As for the bone, I agree it does look like a scapula of some kind though it doesn't look like any thing I am familiar with, though I must admit my ignorance when it comes to bird bones.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.... well it has me stumped. here's my thinking:

- it definitely resembles a piece of a scapula, but....
    - according to my anatomy book (which i'll grant is not the best one out there), birds actually have very reduced scapulae that look more like long bones than flat bones
    - it could be a bird sternum, which are wide and flat, but that wouldn't explain the different appearance of the front and back- that indicates that it IS a scapula or some other flat bone, since the sternum is bilaterally symmetrical
    - here's the big kicker- most mammalian scapulae that i know of/can find online have 1 spine (ridge)- this one appears to have two

so.... it's either not a scapula and is some other flat bone, or it's a scapula from a species that i'm not familiar with. i'm not an expert but that's the best i can do based on my current anatomy knowledge - i'll get back to you after Block I of vet school- anatomy til you drop

since you're in california though, these people might be able to help you if you felt like taking a drive: http://www.boneroom.com
    good luck
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, looking through a book I had I think it might be from a marine mammal like a seal or a sea lion which both have that pair of ridges down their scapula. I am no expert so I could be completely wrong, though finding it on the beach would make sense.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe....duh... forgot about those other marine mammals...

it certainly does resemble a piece of one of these:
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre...7/65015476.JPG

and if it was a young seal or sea lion, it could certainly be that small. young animals would also be more vulnerable to predation from sharks, orcas, etc- the california coast has all kinds of cool marine predators the double spine is definitely unique, that to me would indicate a different mode of movement besides walking (since dogs/horses/cats/etc etc have single-spine scapulas and it serves as a point of muscle attachment)... like... swimming!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Someday is not a day of the week. Maxx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah moonflower, that last picture looks highly similar to what I have.
    I regret little to nothing!

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12