Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ruins!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until they grow up and conform like 99% of the other "rebels" hehe.

It remind me of the theme song to my FAVORITE show ever, Weeds.

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
    Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
    There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses all went to the university
    Where they were put in boxes and they came out all the same,
    And there's doctors and there's lawyers, and business executives
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course and drink their martinis dry,
    And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
    And the children go to summer camp and then to the university
    Where they are put in boxes and they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
    In boxes made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

In case you're like me and didn't knoww what the hell "ticky tacky" was, I looked it up and it means yourdictionary.com says it means "unimaginative and, often, tasteless or shoddy uniformity"

I think it's also where the phrase "whitebread" comes from. I think it's funny when comedians do white people impressions and make us look all boring and lame :P

As for the Maya being primitive, that's a matter of debate. Scientifically they were advanced. Socially, they were primitive. They performed human sacrifice, and that makes them a primitive society. Sorry if you disagree with these, but I can't see anything but a socially primitive society sacrificing humans OR animals and yes, I'm calling any culture that still practices any animal sacrifice a socially primitive (and more than likely scientifically) society. I hold the same opinion of auto sacrifice.

When people say "indian" it's hard to know what they're talking about :P If you mean Native American's then I believe the concept that they were/are more in tune with the earth is because of the various nature-gods, animism, etc. One I made fun of the concept of a "corn god" in a discussion similar to this and someone got all offended. I don't remember if they believed in a god of corn specifically, or a followed animism or what. I apologized lol.

After re thinking, I think the main reason why some ancient, horrific evil or monstrosity is more likely to come from an ancient temple or pyramid in the movies is because, where else can it come from? The local TGI Fridays or Old Navy? Wait, actually some of the pants from Old Navy are pretty horrific. I retract my statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White culture isn't boring, American culture is boring. German culture is awesome as hell...the best there is IMO. I love learning about other cultures, and think they're interesting, but my own is the best IMO. We thrive on beer and sausage...can't really get much more awesome than that.

Plus, we invented beer and the French (sorry about that one), the English language is a derivative of ours. Oh I could go on and on.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    While I agree that any culture that is not your own is often more interesting, why do we have to look at them with so many misconceptions. For instance someone seedjar mentioned how we perceive "Indians" to be closer to nature and being "primitive," though if you examine the group currently discussed the Maya you will see that at their height they were way ahead of Europe in math, astronomy, a calender system, etc...
    It's not so much a question of why... that's just how things tend to go down. If you don't live immersed in the culture, or you haven't received an account of it from someone who did, you're bound to have limited information. Very little of our impressions on things are based entirely upon fact or direct observation; we infer the more intricate details from the gross characteristics that we're able to see.
    My no. 1 reason to cite indigenous cultures as being closer to nature; how many aboriginal societies can you think of that have a major portion of their internal economy devoted to pesticides, herbicides, sanitizers and antibacterial products? Modern Western culture isn't simply ignorant of the limits of nature; we're downright contemptuous.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    listened to the audio book on my drive across the state yesterday, the book is really good, will be interested in seeing how hollywood f's it up............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    watched the move last night.......would have prolly liked it more had i not just listened to the audio book 3 days before.........even the audio book which is a condensed version is alot better than the movie.....plan on buying the book to see what they left out on the audiobook.......didnt transfer from book to movie very well cause they had to rush things more to get it done in a decent time period i guess.......it takes place over a couple more days in the book.....hunger, thirst, and alcohol really kick in more.....think the scene where she was cutting out the plant was bad, its nothing compared to what was described in the book........they also screwed up the ending......the books ending is much better.........

my wife didnt like the movie cause the stuff was happening to the wrong ppl.....the greek doesnt die right away in the book, the German isnt the one who falls............ect.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123