What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ruins!

ruins.jpg

Antagonist: Flesh-eating plants
Protagonists: Four college-bound students.
+ One ancient Mayan Temple

Do the math!

Why is it always Native Americans that have evil locked up in their temples, or their burial grounds. When was the last time you saw a movie about a nice medieval German castle with true evil locked up in it.

LOL

I had to have my little rant it bothers me that its always the new world natives that unleash evil upon the "white man".

I think the answer is that we don't need to look to a fictional, supernatural world to see the evil that white men, such as those Germans, have unleashed. There's no need to respond with examples of evil by brown, black, yellow or green men or women. We know already.

I know that a huge part of it is the fact that human sacrifice fasinates us as humans, though we dont like to look at all the examples from our past so we use the past of people we consider someone else. Also there is a certain amount of mystery around the Maya since there huge cities were lost for so long once the jungle covered them. But still I want to see a movie about an evil that Europeans unleashed, though a movie about smallpox and colonialism doesn't count.

You mean Hitler didn't have a castle or two?

2012! Woo!

Why is it always Native Americans that have evil locked up in their temples, or their burial grounds. When was the last time you saw a movie about a nice medieval German castle with true evil locked up in it.

LOL

I had to have my little rant it bothers me that its always the new world natives that unleash evil upon the "white man".

I watched this yesterday, and it's not that the natives have evil in their temple, they are trying to contain the plants from spreading all over.

Well, the evil flowers gotta come from somewhere, and it's dumb when they come from the wrong places (geographically) if there are any sort of natural counterparts. There's a movie "Shrooms" about evil magic mushroms that grow in Ireland and peple die when they eat em - a more interesting (and convincing) story could be made with the location being in Mexico.

I don't think it's racist to have the weird things like spirits, plant monsters, etc. linked to natives or "non-white" cultures since the western culture has been strip mined of all our own magic and mythology by the church. It's other cultures who are more interesting, unknown and generally stimulating than our own bland homogenous culture.

I read the book a long while back and enjoyed it, but I went to see the movie with my girlfriend and actually walked out because of how gory it was. I think I'm getting squeamish in my old age :-(

I think the preponderance of "indian" cultures in these types of films has more to do with the Western fixation on primitivism and the alien notion of living close to the earth than it does any sort of elitism or racist stereotypes. Westerners today are afraid of going out at night without a flashlight; drop a few into some spooky, abandoned gravesite without any 911 responders or tourist guides handy and you're well on your way to traumatizing some white people.
~Joe

PS - It had always more seemed to me that, particularly with the Native-American-themed plots, that the natives were the ones who were wise enough to subdue these great evils and seal them away in the first place. And often, it turns out that those same natives (or their descendents) know how to put down the bogeyman when it rises again. A staple of the horror genre seems to be the unsuspecting-heroes-vs-nature's-indiscriminate-wrath archetype (usually in the form of some weird monster things.) It's all about our fear of that which is larger/unknown/older/incomprehensible.

Other cultures ARE more interesting. That's why they call us crackers, because we're bland I guess. I'm not going outside at night. There are bears out there.

People dieing after they eat wild mushrooms isn't that unbelievable lol. I just watched the trailer. I wonder how many retards will eat shrooms them watch that movie and have a bad time lmao. I guess like everything else that goes wrong, it seemed like a good idea at the time lmao.

Come on dude, you're 22!

You should watch Devil's Rejects ;)

I know, I know, but for some reason, over the past few years, I've developed the uncanny knack for feeling feint whenever I'm bearing witness to needles, incisions, etc. I can usually read about that stuff, or even play video games that contain it, but real life and movies are just out of the question.

oh my word. He he you would never make it in my line of work. LOL

I think Clint is right. For the most part the "white" culture is balnd and boring. Unless your a young person and not afraid to get out and break the norm.

While I agree that any culture that is not your own is often more interesting, why do we have to look at them with so many misconceptions. For instance someone seedjar mentioned how we perceive "Indians" to be closer to nature and being "primitive," though if you examine the group currently discussed the Maya you will see that at their height they were way ahead of Europe in math, astronomy, a calender system, etc... Though considering them close to nature or the earth would be inherently incorrect, as if you look into the most widely accepted reason for the collapse of the Classic Maya its due to over exploitation of the land failing to allow adequate fallow periods before fields were reused. I am sorry but I still view things like these movies as one more aspect of colonialism where were keep the native primitive and repressed.

Until they grow up and conform like 99% of the other "rebels" hehe.

It remind me of the theme song to my FAVORITE show ever, Weeds.

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses all went to the university
Where they were put in boxes and they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers, and business executives
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course and drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp and then to the university
Where they are put in boxes and they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

In case you're like me and didn't knoww what the hell "ticky tacky" was, I looked it up and it means yourdictionary.com says it means "unimaginative and, often, tasteless or shoddy uniformity"

I think it's also where the phrase "whitebread" comes from. I think it's funny when comedians do white people impressions and make us look all boring and lame :p

As for the Maya being primitive, that's a matter of debate. Scientifically they were advanced. Socially, they were primitive. They performed human sacrifice, and that makes them a primitive society. Sorry if you disagree with these, but I can't see anything but a socially primitive society sacrificing humans OR animals and yes, I'm calling any culture that still practices any animal sacrifice a socially primitive (and more than likely scientifically) society. I hold the same opinion of auto sacrifice.

When people say "indian" it's hard to know what they're talking about :p If you mean Native American's then I believe the concept that they were/are more in tune with the earth is because of the various nature-gods, animism, etc. One I made fun of the concept of a "corn god" in a discussion similar to this and someone got all offended. I don't remember if they believed in a god of corn specifically, or a followed animism or what. I apologized lol.

After re thinking, I think the main reason why some ancient, horrific evil or monstrosity is more likely to come from an ancient temple or pyramid in the movies is because, where else can it come from? The local TGI Fridays or Old Navy? Wait, actually some of the pants from Old Navy are pretty horrific. I retract my statement.

White culture isn't boring, American culture is boring. German culture is awesome as hell...the best there is IMO. I love learning about other cultures, and think they're interesting, but my own is the best IMO. We thrive on beer and sausage...can't really get much more awesome than that.

Plus, we invented beer and the French (sorry about that one), the English language is a derivative of ours. Oh I could go on and on.

While I agree that any culture that is not your own is often more interesting, why do we have to look at them with so many misconceptions. For instance someone seedjar mentioned how we perceive "Indians" to be closer to nature and being "primitive," though if you examine the group currently discussed the Maya you will see that at their height they were way ahead of Europe in math, astronomy, a calender system, etc...

It's not so much a question of why... that's just how things tend to go down. If you don't live immersed in the culture, or you haven't received an account of it from someone who did, you're bound to have limited information. Very little of our impressions on things are based entirely upon fact or direct observation; we infer the more intricate details from the gross characteristics that we're able to see.
My no. 1 reason to cite indigenous cultures as being closer to nature; how many aboriginal societies can you think of that have a major portion of their internal economy devoted to pesticides, herbicides, sanitizers and antibacterial products? Modern Western culture isn't simply ignorant of the limits of nature; we're downright contemptuous.
~Joe

listened to the audio book on my drive across the state yesterday, the book is really good, will be interested in seeing how hollywood f's it up............

Back