User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about these two commercials?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, and yes, I have been in a debate at school with pretty strict rules (not really all that strict because no one really cares about politics when are only in 3rd grade) but, I haven't seen a debate on the news. I am saying I have seen no structure on any online debate. All I see is usually flaming and the entire point I like suing forums go away. In a forum most people a freindly and act as race, political beliefs, and religous beliefs don't exist and treat each other and make our opions of them bassed on their personality. When politics (and other things) are brought up, to very freindly members are practically at each others neck by the end of it. I just really think debates are only for places with very stirct organization.

One question, I am sure there are alot of people who like politics as well as alot of people that don't like them. Can we make a seperate forum for politics so that those that don't like them won't be bothered by the large threads, and those that like politics can have a place to debate without scaring off new member that don't want to be on an agressive forum? I don't really know the work involved, but, thats really just a suggestion.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needless to say, you are correct, Ant about fighting; however, it is a little premature to start closing threads based good discussion that has, in the past, been locked or closed. In my opinion, that's the great thing about the General Discussions forum, is that we learn more about each other as people, and not just CP people. I understand your point about new members and their feelings, but I encourage everyone to see, while we don't all get along in some particular topics, we all come together in the end surrounding the topics we all agree on: carnivorous plants. Yes, tempers get flared; and, yes, topics get locked; and, yes, members get warned; but, that is the nature of the beast that is online discussions. Nobody can hash it out in real time, everyone is just responding to words on a screen. We can't read emotion, or when we try, it's misinterpreted. Like I said, it is just the nature of the beast.

Otherwise, just avoid topics you don't want to read about. I know several members who only read one or two forums, and just skip the rest. This is for a number of reasons including they don't care about a specific genus of carnivorous plants, they have no need for reefing topics, or they have feelings similar to those you have expressed.

And who knows, maybe this is the time when the thread just dies on it's own volition. Maybe we will get somewhere, and come together at the end. The nature of education is the simple fact that in order to get anywhere, we need to educate each other, through thick and thin. That doesn't mean anyone has the right to get nasty or hurtful; which is why the moderators get paid the big bucks to attempt to keep people in line and keep the discussion lively and friendly.

Every member should keep in mind that they have the ability to report posts and/or ignore members.

Finally, it's important that even though, as I mentioned, the moderators get paid the big bucks, we have jobs and lives to supplement our TF income so there are times when offensive posts may not get removed immediately. And truth be told, nothing brings me more pleasure than getting the final word and locking a thread! Just kidding. (oh, and for those of you who may be new, I was joking about the pay).

Anyways, back on topic... I agree about the "trendiness" of going green; however, as I've mentioned before, whether or not global warming is caused by humans or not is the least of my concerns. Temperatures rise and temperatures fall. It's nature. But, the byproducts and the outcomes of this trendy idea of "greenness" is certainly beneficial to the environment, our communities, and the earth. I'll let the scientists and politicians debate the crap out of it while I watch the byproduct of a better world come together around them.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    How could anyone not think cooperating is bad?
    As for the initial discussion of the commercials, I couldn't agree more with Clint.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One question, I am sure there are alot of people who like politics as well as alot of people that don't like them. Can we make a seperate forum for politics so that those that don't like them won't be bothered by the large threads, and those that like politics can have a place to debate without scaring off new member that don't want to be on an agressive forum? I don't really know the work involved, but, thats really just a suggestion.
    Why do that when you can just join a political forum? It's not as if threads like these are taking over, they're once in a blue moon.
    Plus, I find reading arguments like these quite informitive and even entertaining. They give me new ideas to take into consideration on subjects such as this.

Just reading some of these posts, I picked up new arguments that I will probably use the next time I get into a debate.
    -Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    If you don't like it, why read in the first place, and then post about it expressing the fact that you don't like it? I don't understand that. It's like walking into a Denny's just so you can say you don't care for Denny's, then turning around and leaving.
    no, its not like that at all..because when I walk into a Dennys, I KNOW im walking into a Dennys.
    the subject of this thread is "What do you guys think about these two commercials?"

that it..no further info given..
    IT would be like Dennys if Dennys had a sign outside saying "mystery store that might interest you, come on in and see what we have for sale"..then I walk in and find out it a Dennys, and I hate Dennys..

you analogy would only be valid if the subject line of the this thread was:

Subject:
    "WARNING! this thread is about political movies that might annoy you and are likely to cause much pointless discussion and annoyance..only read this thread if you either:
    a. like to discuss the politics of global warming and enjoying yelling at and belittling people who you might otherwise consider your friends, or:
    b. you just enjoy talking about politics and/or global warming.
    otherwise, this is one of those threads that someone will inevitably say "if you dont like it, dont read it" but this time I went to the trouble to make sure the subject line is detailed enough so that you can actually KNOW that you dont like it, before you read it, so you can choose not to read it BEFORE you read it."

but since the subject said no such thing..this isnt Dennys.

Scot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are fun if you're not intimidated How you can be intimidated by essentially a stranger who you'll probably never meet is beyond me :P I couldn't join a forum just about politics. I'd have an aneurysm.

You bring up a great point, James. Whether or not it's man-made, the greeniness is still good.

Scot, I give you mad props. You really made me laugh and you're 100% correct hehe. BUT, to be fair, now everyone who has posted here knows what it's about. If you choose to return, then no one is making you. Al Gore, maybe.

I'm still laughing lmao. You made my night :P

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    IT would be like Dennys if Dennys had a sign outside saying "mystery store that might interest you, come on in and see what we have for sale"..then I walk in and find out it a Dennys, and I hate Dennys..
    Gold. Pure gold. I'm still laughing, too.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? it isn't helping some plants, warmer weather= more pests that grow quicker and are a bigger problem. I think pines in Alaska are being killed by large swarms of wood digging bettles and the warmer weather is causing the bettles to lay more eggs and grow faster. Also, alot of people are saying they are using global warming as the way to waste money but, if we change from fossil fuels the eviroment will be better off. Mining for it ruins the local enviroment and the chemical wastes are killing alot of amphibians.

(I guess I will join in and see how it goes)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We already use fossil fuels. We're trying to convert to liquor (come on. It's moonshine. ) and hydrogen.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast