What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think about these two commercials?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date
I love anything with Nancy Pelosi and Al Sharpton! I think these commercials are great. How could anyone not think cooperating is bad?

I think they're crap. Using a farce for more attention. The whole lot of them. I'm sorry, but I don't buy the great swindle called Global Warming or Global Climate Change or whatever they're calling it now. It's getting fairly ridiculous and I think this guy here is right on in his assertions:

Hurricane Expert: School Silencing Me Over Global-Warming Views
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353023,00.html

Gray contends it's all a hoax contrived by scientists hungry for research funding, media professionals thirsting for Pulitzer Prizes and foreign powers seeking to create a single world government.

A whole bunch of people are going to look like a bunch of dolts in a few years when people realize the scam that it is. I wonder how much money will have been wasted. It's not the first time it's happened. :-)) Think of all the starving children in Africa the people just looking for a cause to feel good about could have fed with that money. Not being wasteful and being mindful of things like pollution are not bad ideas, at all. The idiotic way in which methods to try and reduce pollution and waste are being forced upon us is bad though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand Al Sharpton. He doesn't do anything but cry and moan. Honestly...he doesn't even have a real job! I wish people would pay me to be a crybaby.

I don't subscribe to global warming either, but I'm also not a fan of feeding starving children in Africa, as harsh as that sounds. I think what would be better, is to start an organization that pays women in overpopulated 3rd world countries to get their tubes tied. Feeding their insane amount of kids that they can't support is just going to make them assume they can have more, since the current ones are being taken care of, thus furthering their selfish, irresponsible burden on the world. Sure, feeding them all sounds good in theory (if you're a liberal), but the solution to that problem is less kids, not more food. Not only is it irresponsible, but it's not, nor will it ever be, fiscally feasible.

STOP! :censor: I aready see some huge annoying debate on global warming with this thread. I always see it happen no matter where someone posts their views, also, global warming exists, even if you don't think its manmade, you all think there is a climate change happening, right?

I despise Al Sharpton, Killary Clinton AKA The Devil, Jessie Jackson and the heifer Pelosi. Oh not to mention the worlds biggest moron ever Al Gore. Everyone complains about how Bush is not to bright, but Dang. Gore has Bush beat hands down.

Will someone please explain the rationale behind buying carbon offsets? I mean really. You pay someone so you can continue to produce the same amount of carbon as you normally did. How does that lower the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere?

Also how is it Global warming when the area of MN I plan on moving to is 15-20 degrees lower right now than average? I mean really. It is a ******* cycle and we have not been studying it long enough to know what the long term variability is. If I am not mistaken the Hottest part of our recorded history was in the 1800's? I am really confused. If we are cooler now (granted maybe on a slight upward turn) than the 1800's how can we have global warming? I am going to be laughing my arse off when we do get into that cooling off phase when everyone is freezing their butts off!

One more gripe about that Hypocrite Al Gore. Her flies in private jets that are some of the most inefficient instead of flying an already flying commercial jet. His mansion uses more energy than 4 or 5 average single family homes. He did not add the solar panels until AFTER AFTER!!!!! he was called out for it on the news. He wants you and I to ride bicycles to work, yet he wants to be able to fly around in a chartered jet that puts more carbon into the atmosphere in one flight than you or I would put into it in over a year. He wants to live in this HUGE house instead of just living in a modest house. I am not saying live in a small house but his house is HUGE!!!

I am all for alternative fuels and cleaner forms of energy, but that is because I am tired of making the Arabs rich because I HAVE to drive to work. We are past the point of no return and in todays world you must have a car. I don;t consider that a luxury anymore the luxury comes when you have a nice car. Sure i could live close to work and walk, but not everyone can do that so I consider it a must. I blame the big 4 motor companies and the government for the alternative energy not being where it should be. Those commercials almost make me sick. Most of those people in those commercials want you and I to reduce yet they themselves along with all of congress will not walk the walk, but want to tell us what to do. It is politically cool to do what they are doing ATM. If they really wanted to get me excited they would start putting solar panels on congress and reducing its need for grid power. It would start spending some money to reduce the governments use of fossil fuels. Spend the money needed so that they can get the alternative fuels first and the civilian world will follow. Drill in ANWAR and shut off the need for opec and cut off their funding. Mandate the car companies to get away from fossil fuels so they get off those patents they have bought up and are sitting on and put them to use. Fund their R&D to make it worth their wild to change their production lines to produce an alt fuel vehicle. There are plenty of things the government can do. the government knows what needs to be done. Do it. Why do we always have to bit ch about it to get the government to do the right thing. those folks making the commercials are in congress or were and know what is going on. Why aren't they fighting for what needs to be done?

It is a lot of political HYPE if you ask me. They don't give a rats butt. We need to get all those old farts out of office and get a younger crowd in there. This is why I stress for term limits in congress so we can get new blood in there. We do not need 90 year old farts in office. We all know old farts do not like learning new tricks and are set in their ways. How many of those old farts are not even in the computer age yet?

Ant I do think the globe in in its natural cycle. I do not think it is just warming. We may be an a warming phase but I do believe the cooling phase is coming too. Are you going to be hollering when we have global cooling? What about when we go into a phase where the seas start freezing again? You will hear it when the sees starts to drop and the million dollar homes are now a block away from the beach instead ot beach front.

JB please, stop! :-( I really don't care what is causing it, all I know is that something caused the old Ice Age, why doesn't anyone think it won't happen agian with or without polution.

I can't stand Al Sharpton. He doesn't do anything but ***** and moan. Honestly...he doesn't even have a real job! I wish people would pay me to be a crybaby.

I don't subscribe to global warming either, but I'm also not a fan of feeding starving children in Africa, as harsh as that sounds. I think what would be better, is to start an organization that pays women in overpopulated 3rd world countries to get their tubes tied. Feeding their insane amount of kids that they can't support is just going to make them assume they can have more, since the current ones are being taken care of, thus furthering their selfish, irresponsible burden on the world. Sure, feeding them all sounds good in theory (if you're a liberal), but the solution to that problem is less kids, not more food. Not only is it irresponsible, but it's not, nor will it ever be, fiscally feasible.

..... Shhhh. Don't look now but I think one of our members is really Eric Cartman.

Ant, if you don't like what's in this thread, then don't read it. We're following the rules and staying on topic, so I can't see what your problem is.

Al Gore does suck for using a private jet, but if he offsets his carbon footprint by making up for his carbon expenditures in other ways, then he stays carbon neutral or negative.

Is your global warming propaganda going to stop the ice age from happening again ant?

So Yeah if you don't like the thread don't read it.

Whenever an organization uses a term like "climate crisis" it's gonna be used against citizens to regulate and limit their freedoms thru governmental induced meddling.

I instinctively grab my back pocket to protect my wallet too... and that's sound advice for all of us. :bigthumpup:

Whenever an organization uses a term like "climate crisis" it's gonna be used against citizens to regulate and limit their freedoms thru governmental induced meddling.

I instinctively grab my back pocket to protect my wallet too... and that's sound advice for all of us. :bigthumpup:

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

STOP! :censor: I aready see some huge annoying debate on global warming with this thread. I always see it happen no matter where someone posts their views, also, global warming exists, even if you don't think its manmade, you all think there is a climate change happening, right?

Anybody that outright denies that the global climate does not change naturally is simply ignorant and needs to go back to grade school. The debate, as you mentioned, is regarding man made "climate change."

And why on earth would you not want us to talk about or debate global warming in a thread about commercials regarding it? It's rather on topic in my opinion.

Here's an interesting list of problems caused by Global Warming that's been compiled:
http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

... but I'm also not a fan of feeding starving children in Africa, as harsh as that sounds. I think what would be better, is to start an organization that pays women in overpopulated 3rd world countries to get their tubes tied. Feeding their insane amount of kids that they can't support is just going to make them assume they can have more, since the current ones are being taken care of, thus furthering their selfish, irresponsible burden on the world. Sure, feeding them all sounds good in theory (if you're a liberal), but the solution to that problem is less kids, not more food. Not only is it irresponsible, but it's not, nor will it ever be, fiscally feasible.

I have always felt this way. It's asinine to send food to them, all it does is perpetuate the problem and lead to more suffering down the road. I've been called all sorts of things for thinking this, but so be it. Feeding them is just a temporary band-aid, not a long term solution.

As to these commercials, I think they are ridiculous. Both of them feature two of the worst idiots from both side of the political spectrum. Crazy lunatic on the left with crazy lunatic from the right blah blah blah'ing = me quickly turning the channel. And another thing, I'm sick of this green living ideology being shoved down my throat. Here's the thing, I prize nature, and consider myself an environmentalist at heart; my number one passion in life is wilderness and mountians, forests, and wildlife. But - this is becoming a political ideology that's becoming ridiculous (ie, carbon credits - give me a break!!!). Ugh, I'll stop now I guess.

I know many forums that have banned certian topics like this because they only end up in flames. I always hated online threads about things like this because they always do nothing. I am sure this would go on and on because both groups won't change their mind and so the entire debate was usless. When some people see those huge debates with flames and alot of people including myself think twice about joining. (I neversaid my opion on the subject)

I have always felt this way. It's asinine to send food to them, all it does is perpetuate the problem and lead to more suffering down the road. I've been called all sorts of things for thinking this, but so be it. Feeding them is just a temporary band-aid, not a long term solution.

As to these commercials, I think they are ridiculous. Both of them feature two of the worst idiots from both side of the political spectrum. Crazy lunatic on the left with crazy lunatic from the right blah blah blah'ing = me quickly turning the channel. And another thing, I'm sick of this green living ideology being shoved down my throat. Here's the thing, I prize nature, and consider myself an environmentalist at heart; my number one passion in life is wilderness and mountians, forests, and wildlife. But - this is becoming a political ideology that's becoming ridiculous (ie, carbon credits - give me a break!!!). Ugh, I'll stop now I guess.

Agreed on both counts. Africa has had a loooooooong time to get their priorities in order. I was just using it as an example of something they could actually make a difference with if they wanted to. They can put food in children's bellies. They CAN'T change Nature's will, for cooler or warmer temperatures.

But Ant it is NOT banned here so stop trying to be a mod. When it turns to flames then people will get sanctioned. Until then let the games continue!

I just had to step in here real quick and say that there is a lot of ignorance about the status of Africa being thrown around. I agree that food aid might essentially prolong suffering, but to point a finger and call them selfish or a burden on the world because of their inclination to procreate is just plain wrong. The reason many African countries are in a state of decline is because of outside interference. Whether it's mining for diamonds, various metals, Uranium, or overhunting, outside pressures have caused a great disturbance in the ability of the natives to care for themselves. Let's also not forget the ripples of disturbance created by slavery. People often forget that third world countries are usually perpetuated by world superpowers. If I saw someone starving on the street, my first thought would not be to let him starve to death because feeding him would only prolong his nuisance... my first thought would be: if I feed him now, he will at least be able to live and enjoy life a little longer.

This forum has never been the kind with real flames. The worst that has ever happened is someone calling someone else ignorant, stupid, a fanatic, etc. That's really as bad as it gets. If you do not like this thread, then don't look at it. You act as if someone is forcing you to read this. Go play somewhere else if you don't the fact that we are talking about something with substance.

Now then. They used the epitomes of liberal and conservative to show that we really can work together. If they used a moderate democrat and a moderate republican, then the commercial would have no real impact.

As for the children in Africa, you can't stop sending food. If you did that, you would not be punishing adults for not using birth control. You'd be punishing innocent children. Free condoms for everyone. The Pill and surgery isn't good enough, because while that would prevent unwanted pregnancies, it would do nothing to help the rampant AIDS epidemic in Africa. If the states really wanted to help, we would not charge condom companies who give a certain percentage of their product to Africa any taxes. If we did that, the 43% (CNN statistics) of Catholics who still don't believe in birth control would start complaining, and if there's anything worse than a pissed off Catholic League, I don't know what it is.

You dont need to pay these women just provide them with birth control options. The majority of people in third world countries do not want huge families. If they had effective ways of preventing children they would. They want to send their children to school, they want to be able to feed all of their kids and if this means only having 2 or 3 then they would choose that option. The reason the US does not contribute to these types of programs is because the conservative right will not agree to this so US foreign policy actually stipulates that any funds given to any other country for health care can not be used for planned parenthood type of organizations. In fact it even prevents US funds from supporting programs that give out condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS because it interferes with "Gods" plan. Sadly for the people of Africa these programs have been shown to be some of the most effective ways of preventing the spread of AIDS.

As for global warming it may or may not a be a problem but the overpopulation of the world is going to catch up with humanity long before our use of fossil fuels does. Not to mention we will run out of oil soon and honestly I think the cause of the downfall of Western society will be that it simply runs out of gas. No disease, no famine, no war, no natural disaster, it will just stop when we don't have gas anymore. Also those commercials are a waste of time and only contribute to the problem of global warming as we need electricity to see them which is in most cases produced by burning fossil fuels. Decreasing global population however will help to decrease the amount of fossil fuels used each year helping to minimize what impact man may have on the global climate.

So very hypocritical, the right. Why are we giving them mosquito nets? Malaria is one of God's precious creatures, just like a fetus. All or nothing, fundamentals.

I have to disagree with you on the pregnancy issue. If someone really didn't want any kids, they wouldn't have sex. At least not in a manner that's likely to get you pregnant (that's all I need to say on this forum). It's not like they don't know where babies come from.

Why is Diesel like $4.20 a gallon and Premium is like $3.80? Isn't Diesel less refined?

So very hypocritical, the right. Why are we giving them mosquito nets? Malaria is one of God's precious creatures, just like a fetus. All or nothing, fundamentals.

I have to disagree with you on the pregnancy issue. If someone really didn't want any kids, they wouldn't have sex. At least not in a manner that's likely to get you pregnant (that's all I need to say on this forum). It's not like they don't know where babies come from.

Why is Diesel like $4.20 a gallon and Premium is like $3.80? Isn't Diesel less refined?

Your right, I think we need to spread Malaria, bring back smallpox too while we are at it. LOL.

As for the pregnancy issue it is hard to have complete abstenance not to mention that culturally there are issues of expectations and other things. Though when offered contraceptives they are used readily.

I have no idea why diesel is more expensive, less of it is refined maybe? though that is a complete guess.

Back