What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think about these two commercials?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date
I still say this forum would be SOOOO much nicer if we got rid of the "general discussions" forum alltogether..or at least banned the discussion of religion or politics.

(and no, that wouldnt be censorship..because there are only a billion other forums on the internet where you can talk politics.)

or "off topic" posts within reason..
if your mom is in the hospital or something, talking about that would be fine..
or asking about a new car..or whatever..

just ban the "big three"..sex, politics and religion.
anything else is ok..

the discussions about politics just get ugly and always end up locked anyway..
feelings get hurt, people rant and rave on both sides..its all so ugly and pointless..
so why even bother?

isnt this supposed to be a forum about carnivorous plants??
IMO, this forum should be for discussions about CP's only..
why do we need to discuss all this other BS here?
take it somewhere else..

IMO, these kinds of threads make this forum a whole lot less fun..

Scot

If you don't like it, why read in the first place, and then post about it expressing the fact that you don't like it? I don't understand that. It's like walking into a Denny's just so you can say you don't care for Denny's, then turning around and leaving.

I think these threads make it more lively. If you want CP talk only, there's always the ICPS forum. Far fewer newbs there, too. Also slower :(

No, it doesn't make it more lively, it makes it more agressive. A debate is a fight any way you put it. If you think long threads repeating the same thing over and over agian in more and more agressive manner makes forums a better place you really need to ask NEW members. When a new member sees fights in forums they don't really feel welcome, remember the Ozzy's april fool's day prank when he was banned? Alot of new members (including me) felt uneasy and I stopped posting as much, and alot of members threatened to leave. Fights ake forums so much less fun because everyone takes politics to a presonal level. Any way, why debate something if you aren't gonning to change anyone's views on the subject, then its just a pointless fight.

Have you ever seen a real debate? If you had, you'd know it's very structured. It's by no means a fight. Why don't you try watching the next presidential debate on the news? Maybe then you can see why and how politics are personal to each and every one of us.

Why don't you try participating? What are YOUR opinions and feelings on the subject of global warming and/or the commercials? Broaden yourself and do something other than complain about nothing.

No, and yes, I have been in a debate at school with pretty strict rules (not really all that strict because no one really cares about politics when are only in 3rd grade) but, I haven't seen a debate on the news. I am saying I have seen no structure on any online debate. All I see is usually flaming and the entire point I like suing forums go away. In a forum most people a freindly and act as race, political beliefs, and religous beliefs don't exist and treat each other and make our opions of them bassed on their personality. When politics (and other things) are brought up, to very freindly members are practically at each others neck by the end of it. I just really think debates are only for places with very stirct organization.

One question, I am sure there are alot of people who like politics as well as alot of people that don't like them. Can we make a seperate forum for politics so that those that don't like them won't be bothered by the large threads, and those that like politics can have a place to debate without scaring off new member that don't want to be on an agressive forum? I don't really know the work involved, but, thats really just a suggestion.

Needless to say, you are correct, Ant about fighting; however, it is a little premature to start closing threads based good discussion that has, in the past, been locked or closed. In my opinion, that's the great thing about the General Discussions forum, is that we learn more about each other as people, and not just CP people. I understand your point about new members and their feelings, but I encourage everyone to see, while we don't all get along in some particular topics, we all come together in the end surrounding the topics we all agree on: carnivorous plants. Yes, tempers get flared; and, yes, topics get locked; and, yes, members get warned; but, that is the nature of the beast that is online discussions. Nobody can hash it out in real time, everyone is just responding to words on a screen. We can't read emotion, or when we try, it's misinterpreted. Like I said, it is just the nature of the beast.

Otherwise, just avoid topics you don't want to read about. I know several members who only read one or two forums, and just skip the rest. This is for a number of reasons including they don't care about a specific genus of carnivorous plants, they have no need for reefing topics, or they have feelings similar to those you have expressed.

And who knows, maybe this is the time when the thread just dies on it's own volition. Maybe we will get somewhere, and come together at the end. The nature of education is the simple fact that in order to get anywhere, we need to educate each other, through thick and thin. That doesn't mean anyone has the right to get nasty or hurtful; which is why the moderators get paid the big bucks to attempt to keep people in line and keep the discussion lively and friendly.

Every member should keep in mind that they have the ability to report posts and/or ignore members.

Finally, it's important that even though, as I mentioned, the moderators get paid the big bucks, we have jobs and lives to supplement our TF income so there are times when offensive posts may not get removed immediately. And truth be told, nothing brings me more pleasure than getting the final word and locking a thread! :-)) Just kidding. (oh, and for those of you who may be new, I was joking about the pay).

Anyways, back on topic... I agree about the "trendiness" of going green; however, as I've mentioned before, whether or not global warming is caused by humans or not is the least of my concerns. Temperatures rise and temperatures fall. It's nature. But, the byproducts and the outcomes of this trendy idea of "greenness" is certainly beneficial to the environment, our communities, and the earth. I'll let the scientists and politicians debate the crap out of it while I watch the byproduct of a better world come together around them.

How could anyone not think cooperating is bad?

As for the initial discussion of the commercials, I couldn't agree more with Clint.

xvart.

One question, I am sure there are alot of people who like politics as well as alot of people that don't like them. Can we make a seperate forum for politics so that those that don't like them won't be bothered by the large threads, and those that like politics can have a place to debate without scaring off new member that don't want to be on an agressive forum? I don't really know the work involved, but, thats really just a suggestion.
Why do that when you can just join a political forum? It's not as if threads like these are taking over, they're once in a blue moon.
Plus, I find reading arguments like these quite informitive and even entertaining. They give me new ideas to take into consideration on subjects such as this.

Just reading some of these posts, I picked up new arguments that I will probably use the next time I get into a debate.
-Matt

If you don't like it, why read in the first place, and then post about it expressing the fact that you don't like it? I don't understand that. It's like walking into a Denny's just so you can say you don't care for Denny's, then turning around and leaving.

no, its not like that at all..because when I walk into a Dennys, I KNOW im walking into a Dennys.
the subject of this thread is "What do you guys think about these two commercials?"

that it..no further info given..
IT would be like Dennys if Dennys had a sign outside saying "mystery store that might interest you, come on in and see what we have for sale"..then I walk in and find out it a Dennys, and I hate Dennys.. ;)

you analogy would only be valid if the subject line of the this thread was:

Subject:
"WARNING! this thread is about political movies that might annoy you and are likely to cause much pointless discussion and annoyance..only read this thread if you either:
a. like to discuss the politics of global warming and enjoying yelling at and belittling people who you might otherwise consider your friends, or:
b. you just enjoy talking about politics and/or global warming.
otherwise, this is one of those threads that someone will inevitably say "if you dont like it, dont read it" but this time I went to the trouble to make sure the subject line is detailed enough so that you can actually KNOW that you dont like it, before you read it, so you can choose not to read it BEFORE you read it."

but since the subject said no such thing..this isnt Dennys.

Scot

They are fun if you're not intimidated :) How you can be intimidated by essentially a stranger who you'll probably never meet is beyond me :p I couldn't join a forum just about politics. I'd have an aneurysm.

You bring up a great point, James. Whether or not it's man-made, the greeniness is still good.

Scot, I give you mad props. You really made me laugh and you're 100% correct hehe. BUT, to be fair, now everyone who has posted here knows what it's about. If you choose to return, then no one is making you. Al Gore, maybe.

I'm still laughing lmao. You made my night :p

IT would be like Dennys if Dennys had a sign outside saying "mystery store that might interest you, come on in and see what we have for sale"..then I walk in and find out it a Dennys, and I hate Dennys.. ;)

Gold. Pure gold. I'm still laughing, too. :-))

xvart.

What? it isn't helping some plants, warmer weather= more pests that grow quicker and are a bigger problem. I think pines in Alaska are being killed by large swarms of wood digging bettles and the warmer weather is causing the bettles to lay more eggs and grow faster. Also, alot of people are saying they are using global warming as the way to waste money but, if we change from fossil fuels the eviroment will be better off. Mining for it ruins the local enviroment and the chemical wastes are killing alot of amphibians.

(I guess I will join in and see how it goes)

We already use fossil fuels. We're trying to convert to liquor (come on. It's moonshine. ) and hydrogen.

sorry, I meant from.:blush:

Im not really sure what to say about global warming. It could be due to pollution and such, or it could be one of Earth's many climate changes, like the Ice Age.

Anyways, back on topic... I agree about the "trendiness" of going green; however, as I've mentioned before, whether or not global warming is caused by humans or not is the least of my concerns. Temperatures rise and temperatures fall. It's nature. But, the byproducts and the outcomes of this trendy idea of "greenness" is certainly beneficial to the environment, our communities, and the earth. I'll let the scientists and politicians debate the crap out of it while I watch the byproduct of a better world come together around them.

xvart.
Well stated.

Personally, I like to read what everyone's different views are in these types of topics. After all, there is no point in being closed minded.

Personally, I like to read what everyone's different views are in these types of topics. After all, there is no point in being closed minded.

Exactly how I view it I love to read peoples opnions...However you will rarely find me posting mine, I just can't seem to type them good:scratch: .

We already use fossil fuels. We're trying to convert to liquor (come on. It's moonshine. ) and hydrogen.

Turning food into fuel is about the most idiotic idea our country has come up with in a LONG time. :-))

You want to get rid of fossil fuels? Gotta further develop battery/electrical technology and build a lot more nuclear power plants to supply energy to electric only cars. That'll get rid of fossil fuels. If you recycle the nuclear waste and batteries, environmental concerns shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I'm not sure about batteries.

You want to get rid of fossil fuels? Gotta further develop battery/electrical technology and build a lot more nuclear power plants to supply energy to electric only cars. That'll get rid of fossil fuels. If you recycle the nuclear waste and batteries, environmental concerns shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I'm not sure about batteries.

How do you go about recycling nuclear waste? According to my Environmental Health professor, we have a ton of nuclear waste just piling up at our plants. We can't even decide on where to store it let alone dispose of it. Just look at the Yucca Mountain facility... money down the drain. It's actually not that easy to say we should go nuclear.

How do you go about recycling nuclear waste? According to my Environmental Health professor, we have a ton of nuclear waste just piling up at our plants. We can't even decide on where to store it let alone dispose of it. Just look at the Yucca Mountain facility... money down the drain. It's actually not that easy to say we should go nuclear.

Your professor must be ignorant, but then again, many are. I believe most if not all of the other nuke power countries recycle their's. Facilities in the US that were used to recycle it were closed down because of safety issues from what I heard. Breeder reactors are much more efficient with the use of radioactive material as well. And yes it really is that easy. Problem is there are NIMBY (not in my backyard) people and others that have grave misconceptions about nuclear energy thanks to movies like the China Syndrome.

I suggest you take a read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing

In October 1976, fear of nuclear weapons proliferation (especially after India demonstrated nuclear weapons capabilities using reprocessing technology) led President Gerald Ford to issue a Presidential directive to indefinitely suspend the commercial reprocessing and recycling of plutonium in the U.S. This was confirmed by President Jimmy Carter in 1977. After that, only countries that already had large investments in reprocessing infrastructure continued to reprocess spent nuclear fuel. President Reagan lifted the ban in 1981, but did not provide the substantial subsidy that would have been necessary to start up commercial reprocessing.

We need windmills, they are the best option because they have no waste and don't hurt wild life, then we can go eletric cars. Hydrogen is also a good option but again, the first thing we need to do is move to using windmils for enegry because we need to use that power to make pure hydrogen in the first place. I just noticed that everyone here thinks that manmade global warming is fake. Why does every one think it is completely made up? You can't be completely sure that we aren't changing the process of climate change or speed it up because why haven't been here long enough to know the entire cycle of the earths climate change or if it even is a cycle. We don't know either way for certain that we are or aren't changing the effects of global warming.

Back