What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Darn Shroomers - get outta my yard!"

I didn't really yell that out the window today but in the last 2 weeks I've watched several lone teenagers in "rave clothes" (baggy clothes and stocking caps) very slowly and methodically patrolling the woodsy trails and park behind my condo. From their pose and quick looks to see if anyone's watching - I know what they're looking for-I think it's funny. Though I don't recall anything other than fairy rings around here, don't think they're generally magical though. Maybe I should call out to the next one and toss him a mushroom field guide from my bookshelf.
I heard in Seattle you can be arrested for having these kids' "hunting pose" ha ha! :-O

No way in hell would I collect any wild mushrooms, recreational or edible. I hope they don't die.

I hope you don't call the cops lol. They aren't hurting anyone and have apparently given you some entertainment :p

No, I'm certainly not calling the pigs-not ME man! Like I said, it's funny to watch 'em-I knew instantly what they were doing when I woke up and saw the kid down in the small park meadow behind the place. If I didn't figure he'd freak out and run off I woulda tossed em a book with "all kinds" of mushrooms so he could try and not eat something dangerous. A little Psiliness never hurt anyone but some of the others defintely could.

hahahah i live in seattle and i know a bunch of kids that pick shrooms....

toss him a mushroom field guide from my bookshelf

Don't you think crushing him is going a little bit too far? :p

Aren't A. Muscaria all over the place in Washington? Those are the big red ones with white spots. Mario mushrooms. They're also legal.

Psiliness. I'll have to remember that :p

yeah but a mario mushroom will make you so sick if you eat it.... we have all types of fungus on our trails including tons of magic mushrooms haha

they will help your garden plants i like eating them too. mushrooms help decompose our & plant/ animal matter

I like eating mushrooms, too, polywer. I like eating mushrooms, too.

Ahh. The joys of naievite.

Isn't it like mushroom hunting season? I had never heard of it, but several people around here do this as a past time. A girl that works for me went out with her parents to find a specific mushroom and then they cooked it up. :crazy:

xvart.

we could hope for the best, and assume they just watched "cash & treasures" on the travel channel and are going morel hunting :)

Xvart: That girl's probly getting Morels, they're a "family secret" type of mushroom, Several of my mom's co-workers used to go hunting for those this time of year. An ugly mushroom the Morel, it looks like a brown sea sponge! Supposedly an unforgettable flavor though.

I have heard that A. muscaria are not always magical, it aparently it depends upon something in their substrate.. I have never seen one other than in books though and we have woods "everywhere" .

All this talk reminds me, I can probly be safe to put my Shiitake and Enoki mushroom substrate blocks out on the patio and maybe get some real mushrooms instead of eating the damn freeze dried stuff from the grocery store! (i'm on the second floor the teens can't get at them - ha!)

You have to heat or dry them in order to convert the toxic ibotenic acid into muscimol. You could be totally right, though, I've just never heard that (aside from hearing fly agaric from X location is better than X location), and I've haven't yet experimented much with them. They say that there's no way to know what you'll experience, that there is no rhyme or reason to the effects. Weird. I've never seen a wild one, either. Even if you're not a psychonaut, everyone should appreciate their beauty and history of use in various cultures, especially interesting is the theory that it may be the Soma of Indian legend. Neato.

SHIITAKE! Oh my god I love them, especially in Cyclone pasta at the Outback. Mmmmm. All this shroom talk is making me smell them lol.

Um, I know I gonna sound somewhat stupid, but why are the mushrooms magical? I mean the chemical, not what happens. Also, are those jacko'lantern mushrooms posinous? They are small and orange. My brother told me they were and thats why they are colored like that.

Did one of them look like Neil Patrick Harris?

supposedly our land is a morel paradise. but ive never seen any. i know what they look like and i know how small they are...but i cant seem to find any. any tips?

Alex

Me and my family go Morel hunting every spring. Maybe we need to take a ride to Louiville, huh Glider!!!! Look around poplar, apple, crabapple and ash trees. They can be black, grey, yellow or white. They sell for $30-40 a lb. if you sell them! We eat them though. It's very fun just walking around in the woods though.

Because they contain two tryptamines called Psilocybin and Psilocin. The former is the prodrug of the latter (meaning that it is metabolized into Psilocin when taken). It's an agonist to a particular 5-HT (Seratonin) receptor (forgot which one) where it mimics 5-HT.

What I find so interesting about drugs, even boring ones like ... osteoporosis medicine or something, is that they don't actually do anything to us. They don't produce any real effects. What they actually do is change the way chemicals and receptors already in our body behave. It's really neat.

Wikipedia says your JOL mushroom is poisonous, but not lethal. It also says they are bioluminescent. Also cool.

other than the odd giant puff ball i dont think we have any edible 'shrooms here.....unsure bout "magic" mushrooms.....

never done the magic type though i have been offered, same with LSD........most drugs its pretty easy to know ahead of time the general range of what your going to experience....with shrooms, LSD and some of the cacti its a roll of the dice of what your going to experience and it can put some individuals through a living hell psychologically.....been told a good trip can be awesome but a bad trip can be very,very bad andcan in some instances screw up your thought processes for life..........

Or give you HPPD, like me :p Sometimes the text, or wall, or carpet will start to move in that characteristic way (if you've ever had hallucinogens, you know exactly what I mean). It's entertaining, and only happens every now and then. It's not like a flashback.

To be honest, I don't think I'd believe in God if it wasn't for some of the things I've experienced. And experience is a good word, because some things you can't touch, taste, smell, see or hear. It just is and can't be put into words.

Back