What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The problem of moving...

Some of you may have heard that I'm moving to Michigan. We are hooking up the RV (our trailer thingy) to the back of our truck. I have to put my N. Ventricosa, Venus Fly Trap, and D. Capensis in the trailer. I need a way to keep them safe from harm while in there. I think heat may be a problem, and a bumpy road. We'll be on the road for about a week. My Ventricosa is in a fishtank terrarium. I was thinking I could put some newspapers around the Ventricosa's pot to hold it still, but the VFT and Capensis I'm not sure about. Any ideas?

You could put the N. ventricosa in a hanging pot so that it won't bounce around as much... Maybe? Besides temps, I am confident they will do fine as is.

xvart.

I have to haul my CP collection around every couple of months, moving to and from college (8hr+ drive). I just make sure they're fitted pretty snugly into a box, sometimes with newspaper to stabilize the pots, and they're good to go.... they seem pretty forgiving. Just make sure nothing can fall on them ;) I've also travelled with the plants in a cooler if it's too cold out, there's no light of course but it does keep the temperature stable, though i'm not sure how that would play out over a week. A couple of days (maybe even a week) of poor conditions shouldn't hurt your plants much though- we do baby them, they'd never have it this easy in nature! I have one of each of the plants you list and travelling has not killed them yet :) I think they're tougher than we give them credit for!

Well the Ventricosa will be in the shower under a sunroof so it will get some light. Plus nothing can fall on it, but I'm not sure about the others... I could probably have them in the shower in a small box, and the top of the box could be open to allow some light and air in.

put the pots in a cardboard box, stuff lots of old newspaper in among the pots to keep them from moving around.
put the box in the trailer.

do not even worry about light or temperature while the plants are traveling..
neither is of concern for a few days..(or a week)

it wont get too hot..not traveling from Washington state to Michigan this time of year..
if it was from Arizona to Florida in August I might worry..but with the trip you are making,
your plants will be fine.

the bumpy road will also not be a problem..

will you have access to the plants during the trip?
can you get to them once a day or so?
if so, just leave the pots sitting in the water trays, with a small amount of water,
maybe 1/4 inch deep..if it spashes around it will be simply be absorbed by the newspaper and wont get anything else wet..

if not, if you dont have easy access to the plants, I would wrap them up tight in clear plastic bags..then water cant be lost through evaporation, and they will go for a week easily without drying out.

Scot

good to know because i am going to new york for eight days

We will be stopping every day and I will have access to them. This is kinda off topic but will D. Capensis grow well outside in Michigan?

I too, like Moonflower, and a college student and have to lug 8 pots of CPs back and forth about 6 times a year (5 hour drive) I don't really have any suggestions that haven't been said already, I really just wanted to show Moonflower that he/she wasn't alone in moving CPs back and forth from college. I just use the boxes the CPs came in in the mail, stuff in some rags so they don't slide and around, and shove them in the trunk.

Too bad you can't lave them with friends/neighbors/family, then have them ship them to you when you arrive at your destination.

put the pots in a cardboard box, stuff lots of old newspaper in among the pots to keep them from moving around.
put the box in the trailer.

do not even worry about light or temperature while the plants are traveling..
neither is of concern for a few days..(or a week)

it wont get too hot..not traveling from Washington state to Michigan this time of year..
if it was from Arizona to Florida in August I might worry..but with the trip you are making,
your plants will be fine.

the bumpy road will also not be a problem..

will you have access to the plants during the trip?
can you get to them once a day or so?
if so, just leave the pots sitting in the water trays, with a small amount of water,
maybe 1/4 inch deep..if it spashes around it will be simply be absorbed by the newspaper and wont get anything else wet..

if not, if you dont have easy access to the plants, I would wrap them up tight in clear plastic bags..then water cant be lost through evaporation, and they will go for a week easily without drying out.

Scot

I'm going to be making a 1500+ mile move in about 7 weeks, and this is what I was going to do. I'm going to cram 50ish plants (orchids and CP's) into boxes after first putting them in plastic bags to keep the humidity up. I'll keep the A/C on in the day if needed. All told, I'm expecting them to be out of their comfort zone for about a week. I'm hoping I don't cause them to drop any pitchers in the process.

Don't you dare Scot!!! :D

Capslock

Back