What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
1) Magnifying Glass: Maybe they're not that original, but I like to keep a magnifying glass around to look for new growth, aphids, flowers, and sprouting.

2) Paint Brush - Pollinating

3) Spaghetti Collander - rinsing media

4) Duct Tape & Coat Hangers - just because....

5) Coffee Filter - B. liniflora bleaching and rinsing

6) Centrifuge Tubes - sprouting leaves and shipping

7) Used Plastic Gallon Jugs - storing rain or creek water

8) Ziplocks - sprouting seeds

9) Plastic Gumball containers - Shipping and cold stratification of Sarracenia seeds

10) Yogurt Containers - 2" pots

11) Disposable Pipette Dispensers - Shipping, germination

12) Used Garden Trays - cultivating

13) Banding - tags

14) Sporks - removing plants for shipping

What do you use for this hobby?

PipetteDispenserContainer.jpg

Strausplants002.jpg

Strausplants0292.jpg

AR000102.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

7) Used Plastic Gallon Jugs - storing rain or creek water

I once used these in an attempt to grow seed (cut away everything so there was just a little tray).

9) Plastic Gumball containers - Shipping and cold stratification of Sarracenia seeds

What are these?

12) Used Garden Trays - cultivating

I need to get some of these. I'm currently using those coke flats that caterers and gas stations use. They hold six 2-liter bottles. I found them in my car; I think my wife accidentally forgot to return them from her former jobs years ago. I actually use them to raise the level of my grow rack to get small plants closer to the light.

14) Sporks - removing plants for shipping

And eating Taco Bell while cultivating!

4) Duct Tape & Coat Hangers - just because....

Just because in case the world starts falling apart while cultivating!

xvart.

Small manicuring-type scissors for pruning leaves, roots etc.

Hobby tweezers for whatever & everything.

Electric hobby soldering tool/iron for putting more holes in drained plastic pots.

Spray bottles. (naturally...)

Lots of old newspapers for a mat for your work-space.

I use the business end of a pen to poke holes in soil to transplant tiny seedlings into.

Xvart: I don't have a picture but if you look at the vending machines that sell gum, it's those.

I use:

Toothpicks - pollinating and transplanting seedlings

Ziplocks - sandwich and gallon size for shipping plants and small craft size for shipping gemmae and growing some Utricularia.

Tweezers - Transplanting, plucking leaves, and doing anything else that big fingers would otherwise muck up.

2oz deli containers - Sprouting seeds in water and storing gemmae and large seeds

Paintbrush - Placing gemmae in soil, pollinating, feeding fruitflys to my dews

Small styrofoam boxes - shipping small plants and gemmae

Cheap storage containers - sprouting leaf cuttings and water trays

13 gal. trash bag - Mixing peat and perlite and storage of the same

Short straw & coffee filter paper - collecting gemmae

Cheap storage containers - germinating seeds
Chopsticks - transplanting seedlings
Mortar trays / litter boxes- water trays / mixing soil
*BLACK* Sharpie markers - writing on labels 'cause the colored stuff fades WAAAY fast

Xvart: I don't have a picture but if you look at the vending machines that sell gum, it's those.

See" acorn capsules": URL removed per request from someone working for that company.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also some that use the plastic cannisters used for camera film.

hmmmm... what do I use....

Ziplock bags: Storing media, cold stratifying seeds, storing seed, storing cuttings in water.

Boxes: Moving my Cp's around (have to do it a lot!)

Plastic containers: Storing, cold stratifying, media storage, cuttings, germinating seedlings, pots, saucers.

Plastic food Clingwrap: Covering over holes when humidity is needed.

Tinfoil: Reflecting!

Toothpicks: Poking holes in the soil, propping up small plants.

Kebab sticks: Like toothpicks, but bigger! Also for Nepenthes to wind their vines around.

Tweasers: Moving live venus fly trap leaves still attached to the plant without setting off the traps. Prising open Venus fly Trap traps which have shut for no reason and dropping some bugs inside. Dropping bugs in venus fly trap's mouths. Picking off aphids, small dead leaves, leaf cuttings etc. Removing miniscule things from the media.

Bags: Storing anything and everything.

Clear plastic bags: Over the top of large Nepenthes for humidity.

Bottles: Storing water, especially creek water for utrics.

Spray bottle: Spraying Nepenthes etc.

Polystyrene: Cutting up into little bits and sticking on the ends of kebab sticks to make 'tools' to clean my hard to get into small U. gibba tank. So far i've made two 'hooks' to hook and remove the U. gibba if I need to, a 'shovel' to scoop out gravel, perhaps if it has algae etc. and a 'rake' to move around the gravel in the tank bottom. I'm actually thinking about trying to use this as a media type! will trial it with d.Capensis, let's see what happens!

Sponge with scourer on the other side: Scrubbing alage off pots and tanks.

Magnifying glass: Checking leaves, checking for aphids, looking at things etc.

Ice cube container: Germinating baby Darlingtonia's.

Mesh curtain: cut up and placed over containers to filter out light, like a 'shade cloth'

Paper: Recording details of plant growth, wrapping up seeds etc.

Envelope: Sending away seeds.

Postage stamp: envelopes don't seem to work without these!

Marker pen: Writing on plant labels.

Hammer: Smashing natural pumice stones to peices for plants.

Nail: Used with hammer to put holes in containers which need holes in them...

Jug: Used to boil hot water to sterilise media, pots, jars etc.

Bleach: Used with lots of water to make a very very mild solution to kill off Botrytis mold.

Old plastic wine glass: Used to put Utric pots into to maintain high water tables.

Scissors: Cutting things. Also used as tweasers if there are no tweasers around.

Cups: Used like old plastic wine glass. Also used to germinate seedlings, storage, and as pots.

Glasses: Like cups.

Sieve: Rinsing and sterilsing media.

Electric Drill: An easier way of drilling holes!

Picture001-16.jpg

Back