What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uhg....stupid prowler around the house

Finally got caught last night...the idiot was on my roof making all sorts of racket and when i heard him, i headed outside with my bat and knife lol. said some pretty cruel words which i wont repeat here, and the man tried to run. well...i actually resorted to calling the cops, 1. because im 16 and im here alone for a few more days while my parents are on vacation.
2. because im reaaally tired of some freaky man walking around my house, or in this case, on it...
so they caught the guy near the resevoir behind the house, about 200 yards away from here. Uhg...so i stayed home from school today because i was all shookin up and barely got any sleep...

You should have got him. I would cut someone doing that.

You did the right thing calling the cops and taking the day off.

Let's hope the cops don't come back later and hassle your parents about leaving you home alone.

Actually he could have ended up arrested for doing so, unless the prowler was attacking him.

Creepy though!
Any idea why he was on the roof? Was he trying to get into the second story?

well, actually by law, you are aloud to shoot or kill anyone who enters your property. especially in this situation, i am supposed to go up to the jail today and identify that it was him, the man didnt give a story other than "i thought the house was empty".

You did the right thing.

You were willing to protect yourself and your property.

You called the authorities and they got the guy. Now you have to ID him; that kinda sucks.

But you're learning valuable life experiences on your way to adulthood.

Think of it all in a positive way. :)

If you just say he attacked you. I'm surprised the cops did not shoot him. We all know how they are.

Your folks will be proud of you for this one !

Don't be so sure about attacking someone on your property just because they are on your property.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/deli-owner-uses-hammer-to-fend-off-attackers/2674920346

Here's a video of 4 teens beating up a deli worker after he confronted them about stealing food. While the clerk was being beaten up, the owner woke up, came out to see his relative being beaten. Grabs a hammer and knocks one of them in the head, to chase them out of the store. The teen is in critical condition. And the only one charged so far is the deli store owner with multiple felony accounts and a $150,000 bond.

just because they're on your property....well he was on my roof. i believe that would call for different measures...this is where an excuse such as "i was just passing by" would not cut it.
especially at 10:45 at night

Just being on your property doesn't really cut it I don't think. However, someone being on your roof for no good reason is reason enough...at least in Texas. However, if you intentionally shoot to kill, you'll go to jail for murder. I've had people knocking around trying to get into my back fence/messing w/ the dumpster on my property. The sound of a shotgun cocking is enough to scare anyone with half a brain away :D

just because they're on your property....well he was on my roof. i believe that would call for different measures...this is where an excuse such as "i was just passing by" would not cut it.
especially at 10:45 at night

By profession, I hand over a lot of security footage to officers. While that sounds like the right idea, I've seen a lot of attacked people in cuffs as well. 8( I'm waiting for an officer to explain the video I posted above next time they stop into my office.

But you did the right thing, you were ready to -protect- yourself, and called the police to let them apprehend him. And thankfully it ended without harm to anyone.

Nate.

Just being on your property doesn't really cut it I don't think. However, someone being on your roof for no good reason is reason enough...at least in Texas. However, if you intentionally shoot to kill, you'll go to jail for murder. I've had people knocking around trying to get into my back fence/messing w/ the dumpster on my property. The sound of a shotgun cocking is enough to scare anyone with half a brain away

lol...well had the bat and knife not been enough, he would have heard a 308 winchester high power lol...bolt action high powers **slur** lol....
that or the fact that im 6'6" now who knows.

That deli owner thing is messed. So you supposed to let them do whatever they want? When you call the cops and they run away what you get in return? Your friend and store are messed up and some punks got away. I guess the system is garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your 1,000th post btw JMurphy! 8)

But yes, I agree with the system flaws, my jaw dropped when I heard he was arrested. Are you suppose to watch your co worker get beat, killed, etc by a 3 on 1 fight? When -can- you defend yourself, or others or that matter.

I could be wrong, but I think some of this stuff is actually state specific. How you can defend yourself might be different from one location to another.

I'll defiantly ask an officer next time they come to my office, they like to ramble on and on anyways.

Nate.

I could be wrong, but I think some of this stuff is actually state specific. How you can defend yourself might be different from one location to another.
Yep. In TX, you are allowed to use "necessary force" (even if it ends up being lethal) to stop ****, mugging, beatings, etc, even of someone you don't know. If someone breaks into your neighbor's house and steals some of their stuff and is running down the street with it, you're allowed to shoot at them....as they're running down the street.

And that is one of the many, many reasons why Texas is the best ;).

EDIT: wow.....it blurred out a crime? I meant to use the word for forcing someone to have sex with you.

You should have called the police right away. Going out with a bat & knife fell way short of being a good idea. I'd chew out my daughter if she did that while home alone.

Someone on the roof is either looking to do something bad or isn't thinking right. That's a job for the police. Obviously the latter should be a job for someone other than the police, but we have to rely on what we have. Which is police.

Don't be so sure about attacking someone on your property just because they are on your property.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/deli-owner-uses-hammer-to-fend-off-attackers/2674920346

Here's a video of 4 teens beating up a deli worker after he confronted them about stealing food. While the clerk was being beaten up, the owner woke up, came out to see his relative being beaten. Grabs a hammer and knocks one of them in the head, to chase them out of the store. The teen is in critical condition. And the only one charged so far is the deli store owner with multiple felony accounts and a $150,000 bond.

Ugh, what a joke. I cannot believe the owner is the one getting charged!

Kristoff - glad you are ok. That must have been very frightening. Maybe you can buy some of those 'beware of dog' signs to stick up while alone. Have your parents invest in some motion lights if they haven't already. So - had he ever made it into your house at all?

we have motion lights, the guy never got inside. im honestly one of the people who dont get scared that easily, so going out to confront someone isnt that big of a deal...im big enough to defend myself, im aware that doesnt matter in the case of him possibly having a gun. but had i not gone out, he would have persisted in doing what he was doing. you yourself would chew out your daughter for doing something like that, and i can understand because of it being a daughter, there are many sexual predators out there. but i think im the last person a sexual predator wants...im a pretty big kid.

Back