0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, at least it was salvagable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same exact thing happened to me once, years ago. It was dirt! I contacted the company, explained that I was growing CPs, and they refunded my money.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use it even after rinsing to remove the other stuff. There's no guarantee that it's free of fertilizer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take it back for a refund also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    So I've been buying shultz perlite from walmart and it's been perfectly fine. Today though I noticed they had a different bag. It said the exact same things on it so I figured they'd just redesigned. Much to my surpise when I opened the bag there was dirt (not a ton but definetly noticable)mixed with the perlite. The bag says "ingredient: perlite" so I don't know why they'd put dirt in it. The only thing I can think of is that they're recyling perlite out of pots of dirt or adding dirt because it's cheaper than perlite. I guess I'll have to get the miracle grow stuff and wash it because i can't use this brand anymore and miracle grows the only other stuff I can find. This is probably just another case of a company trying to decrease production costs without considering the consumer.
    You don't have any nurseries around you? Home Depot? Lowes? If none of those are around, you can probably mail order it cheap since it's extremely lightweight, like from the forum owner's shop as previously mentioned.

Personally I don't like the looks of perlite. I think I may switch to some sort of sand like some people use next year for drainage and aeration. It should be more aesthetically pleasing. I still have a bunch left in the first bag I bought though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12