Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Father/daughter Talk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is I do not believe they are only making a 10% profit as you claim they are making. That 5 bucks a fill up is not going to break me, but the additions to the food and other goods I need to buy might. You may have enough money to eat healthy and fill up your car, but not everyone is so lucky. I am paying my bills and cutting where I need to. But not everyone is able to do that because of skyrocketing energy prices due to the greed of these companies.

May i ask. Are you one of those folks driving a hummer at 6 miles per gallon with enough money to not have this affect them like it does the lowly student like myself. The thing is when oil and gas go up then it makes everything go up. I am not just complaining about just companies like Exxon and other oil companies. My frustration is also focused on OPEC and those that use fuel inefficiently. Not everyone NEEDS to drive a 8 MPG truck or a Hummer or other things. I agree to having a nice car, so don't get me wrong, but why drive an Expedition when your the only one riding in it? If the need is there by all means, but I see too many single persons driving a HUGE SUV.

The oil companies are not the only thing to blame. I blame OPEC, Frivolous use of fuel and the lack of companies to develop the alternative fuels that have been around for a while, because the motor companies bought them up to sit on them. There are many factors to this problem and I still do not condone the types of profits the oil companies are making because I seriously think it is more than 10% as being claimed.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So alien, here's the problem - making gas now is the same as it was when gas was $1/gallon. So at that point, the gas companies made $.10 a gallon. So the raw product, the price of crude, has gone up in price four-fold. So now the gas folk make $.40/gallon, doing exactly the same service as when they made $.10/gallon. (And remember, this is PROFIT, after exorbitant salaries and bonuses.) Further, this is just at retail. The oil companies make bank refining oil as well. So the point is that a very few companies control a supply of vital energy to America - a national security issue if there ever was one. They have a responsibility to society to take their role seriously, and not gouge just "because they can."

Nobody is saying they can't make money. And all I'm suggesting is a windfall profits tax - nothing that will cripple them, and a tax that only applies to crazy, over-the-top profits. Believe me, they can take it. As it is, they're just laughing their way to the bank.

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    The thing is I do not believe they are only making a 10% profit as you claim they are making. That 5 bucks a fill up is not going to break me, but the additions to the food and other goods I need to buy might. You may have enough money to eat healthy and fill up your car, but not everyone is so lucky. I am paying my bills and cutting where I need to. But not everyone is able to do that because of skyrocketing energy prices due to the greed of these companies.

May i ask. Are you one of those folks driving a hummer at 6 miles per gallon with enough money to not have this affect them like it does the lowly student like myself. The thing is when oil and gas go up then it makes everything go up. I am not just complaining about just companies like Exxon and other oil companies. My frustration is also focused on OPEC and those that use fuel inefficiently. Not everyone NEEDS to drive a 8 MPG truck or a Hummer or other things. I agree to having a nice car, so don't get me wrong, but why drive an Expedition when your the only one riding in it? If the need is there by all means, but I see too many single persons driving a HUGE SUV.

The oil companies are not the only thing to blame. I blame OPEC, Frivolous use of fuel and the lack of companies to develop the alternative fuels that have been around for a while, because the motor companies bought them up to sit on them. There are many factors to this problem and I still do not condone the types of profits the oil companies are making because I seriously think it is more than 10% as being claimed.
    I make under $30k a year. I drive a 2000 Ford Mustang that gets 17ish MPG in the city and 90% of my driving is in city driving. It sucks paying $45 to fill up every couple of weeks or so, but I don't get mad at the oil companies for their profits. If business wasn't profitable, they wouldn't be in business, and I wouldn't have any fuel then. You need to realize that the only reason that fuel prices are so high is because oil is so high. Oil prices are high because that's the way the market/trading is right now thanks to

A) Demand in China (that wasn't there before)
    B) Demand in India (that wasn't there before)
    C) Collusion of OPEC
    D) Government regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    So alien, here's the problem - making gas now is the same as it was when gas was $1/gallon. So at that point, the gas companies made $.10 a gallon. So the raw product, the price of crude, has gone up in price four-fold. So now the gas folk make $.40/gallon, doing exactly the same service as when they made $.10/gallon. (And remember, this is PROFIT, after exorbitant salaries and bonuses.) Further, this is just at retail. The oil companies make bank refining oil as well. So the point is that a very few companies control a supply of vital energy to America - a national security issue if there ever was one. They have a responsibility to society to take their role seriously, and not gouge just "because they can."

Nobody is saying they can't make money. And all I'm suggesting is a windfall profits tax - nothing that will cripple them, and a tax that only applies to crazy, over-the-top profits. Believe me, they can take it. As it is, they're just laughing their way to the bank.

Max
    A sure fire way to screw something up in a hurry is to come down on it hard by taxing the hell out of it or instituting ridiculous regulations like a cap on profits. I'm sorry but 10% profit even if it is greatly inflated through volume business is not unethical in my book and is MORE than reasonable. I suggest people direct their ire toward more deserving things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you only fill up once every couple of weeks, but I fill up every week roughly. My car gets about 20 MPG. 98 sable. I have to drive about 20-25 min to school and work each day. That is why I like to ride my bike when I can because it gets 50-51 mpg. I am contemplating a Prius to decrease my dependence on oil, but I would love a hydrogen powered car once hydrogen stations become available or I can produce my own for the car.

As I said it is a multi faceted problem, but the oil companies are part of the problem. Again I do not expect them not to make a profit, but I believe what they are making is exorbitant. If 4,000,000,000 is only a 10% above the operating cost then so be it. I just do not believe that is the case.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest profits in the history of corporations is probably a time to take notice, thank you.

Nobody is suggesting they can't make money, nor capping profits. That's not the intent or effect of a windfall profits tax.

By the way, the reason that they don't spend much of this huge profit on research or alternative energy is that doing so will interrupt their gravy train. As soon as something takes the pressure off the demand for oil, the price will plummet. And they have no intention of having that happen. In fact, they will move to block any such research through lobbying, buying of patents, etc. For better or worse, we elected oil men to run the government. That suddenly oil people are making unprecedented profits should come as no surprise. The struggle for control of oil in the middle east is NOT to ensure a low-cost supply - it's to make sure that prices and profits can be maximized. That's how business works, and why it needs to be regulated.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is also forgetting that they keep prices artificially high. Oil companies side with the right, and blame the left for not being able to drill in Alaska, which has one of the largest reserves on the planet. In reality, its the oil companies' lobbyists who are pushing to not drill, not the "crazy environmentalists". Oil companies keep prices artificially high and supply artificially low to make more money. That way, when all the Middle Eastern oil dries up, they'll open up Alaska with an, "oh! look what we found here!" attitude, and the prices will continue to climb, because then they'll say there is no where else to drill.

There are also a ridiculous amount of oil reserves in many S. American countries that are yet untapped. N. and W. Africa also have some of the world's largest reserves, and nothing has been done about it. The oil companies also refuse to build new refineries. PERIOD. You cannot argue with the fact that they are purposely doing as little as they can to make as much as they can, because it's fact. If you don't agree, fine, but that doesn't make you right.

So...having price controls on oil isn't ok to keep it low, but a coalition of Saudi sheiks using price controls to keep price artificially astronomically high IS ok? You've got to be $*)@*$ kidding me. They can raise prices on a whim, because one of them wants to build his 7th billion dollar gold plated palace, at the expense of some people having to start skipping meals because they don't make enough money to pay for rising gas and food (among other things).....and that's alright? You've got to be living on another planet.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you PK that is another factor. OPEC keeps the production low to keep prices high. Well maybe it is not low, but they do not increase output or they are at max production already. Either case the market is creating some of the "shortage" for profit seeking. Before the supply "dries up". So again there are many different factors, but I still hold oil companies partialy to blame.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    I think the biggest profits in the history of corporations is probably a time to take notice, thank you.

Nobody is suggesting they can't make money, nor capping profits. That's not the intent or effect of a windfall profits tax.

By the way, the reason that they don't spend much of this huge profit on research or alternative energy is that doing so will interrupt their gravy train. As soon as something takes the pressure off the demand for oil, the price will plummet. And they have no intention of having that happen. In fact, they will move to block any such research through lobbying, buying of patents, etc. For better or worse, we elected oil men to run the government. That suddenly oil people are making unprecedented profits should come as no surprise. The struggle for control of oil in the middle east is NOT to ensure a low-cost supply - it's to make sure that prices and profits can be maximized. That's how business works, and why it needs to be regulated.

Capslock
    It must be one huge giant... CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not understand this mentality about punishing the oil companies for being successful at their business. They made considerable financial investment/risks to get to where they are today. The only reason they have this nonsense "windfall" profit that keeps being mentioned is because of the current trading price of oil. They get their fair cut (10%) on fuel. What is wrong with them making the largest sum of money in profit compared to other companies right now? Should we always punish those companies that achieve a higher level of success? Maybe they should operate like the airline companies, GM, Ford, etc.

The United States as a nation continues to operate as it did when gas was less than $1.00 a gallon. And again, nothing is stopping anybody from purchasing stock in these companies and reaping the rewards of their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Thank you PK that is another factor. OPEC keeps the production low to keep prices high. Well maybe it is not low, but they do not increase output or they are at max production already. Either case the market is creating some of the "shortage" for profit seeking. Before the supply "dries up". So again there are many different factors, but I still hold oil companies partialy to blame.
    "We" cannot control OPEC.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast