Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Father/daughter Talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What this country was meant to be was a democracy.

Dictatorships are great if you are perfectly in line with everything they say. Shoot, instead of every opinion falling neatly into the convenient bins of liberal/conservative (not), think of how much more convenient it would be if everyones opinions fell into one monochromatic rainbow?

People are going to have differences in opinion, and a dictatorship that snubs other views that differ are not great for everyone else. But then again their opinions are not worth being listened to, ever, so guess it does not matter, right?

But it does matter.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I think a benevolent dictatorship would be perfect.
    Because so many of them end up that way, oh no wait its extremely rare if not non-existent for a dictator to be benevolent. In fact even with my history background I can not think of a single benevolent dictator. Kings yes, but they have rule through divine right and well you don't think highly of religion so those people individuals don't count. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

As for your "solutions" to the problems in the the third world you obviously don't understand their cultures at all. Period. thats all I have to say, do some cultural research then take a look at your proposed solutions and you will see why they wont work. If they put you in control of an African country I would say it would take about 2 weeks before wide spread riots, civil war, and a whole slew of other problems would arise. Plus you being American would just encourage the feelings of colonialism again and that isn't going to help your case.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another note on the healthcare debate... nobody has said much about how much the pharmeceutical companies play into that. Personally, I find them to be pure evil, and think that reining them in would go a LONG way toward alleviating health care costs. Have a gander at the article below... makes my stomach turn. They hold peoples' lives for ransom and we all pay the price through insurance costs. My favorite quote from the article, about a 14x increase in the price of a drug that's necessary to treat epilepsy:

"Steve Cartt, a Questcor (manufacturer) executive vice president, said the new price was chosen by looking at the prices of other specialty drugs and estimating how much insurers and employers would be willing to bear."
    The Middleman's Markup

Apparently insurers are "willing to bear" $23,000 a dose- it had been $1600. That's highway robbery... pure exploitation. Legal criminality.

I'll spare you my food rant for now which is another HUGE health problem that could be solved fairly easily but the government refuses to do so.

I vote we bring Teddy Roosevelt back to office... our international affairs are already messed up, we just need somebody to bust up interest groups!!!!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they put you in control of an African country I would say it would take about 2 weeks before wide spread riots, civil war, and a whole slew of other problems would arise.
    Doesn't that happen anyways under African rule? Coup d’Útat is unbelievably common. The fault of colonial mapmakers drawing arbitrary boundaries irrespective of what groups they may include together in part but that makes it no less true.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said they actually existed, just that it would be nice (I think). A king is a dictator, and some of them have been pretty good (Karl der Gro▀e).

As for your "solutions" to the problems in the the third world you obviously don't understand their cultures at all. Period.
    And you understand them perfectly? Are you from Ethiopia? No? Then fail.
    I understand that they are the people that first started growing coffee, and they want to stick to tradition blah blah blah. However, tradition isn't going to work, and times change. What's more important, continuing to do the same thing for thousands of years and dying of starvation, or realizing you need to change your ways to survive and acting accordingly? Cultural identity ftw, but in this case, the way they feel is feeding their plight.

I agree that pharmaceutical companies need to be regulated hardcore. Things like Cipro that cost $12 a pill, and require 7 pills (usually) cost them about 20 cents a piece or less to make. They like to say that they need the money because of R&D...but let's get serious. If you spend 10 million on a drug total (and the researchers don't get paid much at all), you can recoup those costs quite quickly. A large hospital probably goes through 1000 Cipro a day...which is $12,000 worth of the drug...in ONE day, at ONE hospital....
    Once they pay off the R&D money, its pure profit from then on out, and Cipro came out sometime before 2000.....
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    What this country was meant to be was a democracy.

ahhhh no...........its set up as a Republic, not a Democracy......there is a very real difference....you can call it a Democratic Republic but it sure is not a Democracy.....dont they teach you kids anything in school?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another note on the healthcare debate... nobody has said much about how much the pharmeceutical companies play into that. Personally, I find them to be pure evil,
    as some one who requires high dollar prescriptions on occasion.....other than the FDA part of the system i think its fine.....if there is no money to be made in drugs we have no pharmaceutical companies and then we really have minimal ppl looking at developing new drugs.......................the almighty dollar rules.............alot of you youngins seem to have alot of ideas but damn you have no clue how the real world works.......without someone willing to pay for a product there is no reason to put blood sweat and tears into something for nothing, or atleast very rarely.....you need alot of schooling to be able to develop these drugs.....alot of schooling means alot of money out of a persons pocket.......that means they want to develop drugs to sell them and make a profit so they can pay off their student loans........

other than the BS where the companies push drugs through the FDA to fast releasing them to the general public without proper study.....that part of the system is wrong......the rest of it works just fine..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Well Rattler, I don't mind them making a profit, but it is about like the oil companies. Do they need to make windfall profits? I am all about them selling for a profit, but they don't need to ravage the american people. They take those same drugs and sell them for reasonable profits to other countries. Why does the US have to fund the brunt of the R&D. Shouldn't the world who uses the drugs pay for it? Not just us? I dunno if it takes you ,hypotheticly speaking, 20 cents to make a pill, then why does it have to be sold for 10-15 bucks a pill?

I agree we need to be able to pay for the R&D of new drugs, but I think they are going above and beyond paying the R&D and making HUGE profits for the shareholders and 100K bonuses for the CEO and things.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast