Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Father/daughter Talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I want from the elections and other events is that McCain doesn't win, so many things can go wrong, such as me probably having to move to Canada if he wins...
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Yeah Well Rattler, I don't mind them making a profit, but it is about like the oil companies. Do they need to make windfall profits?
    I agree... I'm all for profit-making... in capitalism, money powers innovation, for better or for worse. However, situations like the one mentioned in the article amount to the company being a monopoly. Taking their customers for all they can get isn't profit-making, it's theft. Worse, peoples' lives are involved here. How do you put any price on that, much less a big fat one like Questcor did? (And they're just one example.)

There's a fine line between profit and greed, and pharmaceutical companies seem to have crossed that one, at our expense. I wonder if placing a limit on their profits- 200% markup from manufacturing costs, to cover R&D?- should be put in place, especially on "orphan drugs" whose makers have no competition. What else is stopping them from ripping us off? Some people need those drugs to survive!!!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    All I want from the elections and other events is that McCain doesn't win, so many things can go wrong, such as me probably having to move to Canada if he wins...
    heheh i agree... i don't care if they put a gorilla in office, as long as it's not registered to the Republican party hopefully the Dems can do a halfway decent job.

(disclaimer: I'm actually a non-party voter, I have zero party affiliation... I lean Democratic at the moment because the GOP has very much let us down, I only hope the Dems can start to clean up this mess)
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never claimed to understand the cultures of Africa. I also didnt claim that I could waltz right in and make everything better. As for Ethiopia, they have one of the highest GDP's of any African nation, though only about 10% of the land is arable. I am not saying everything is great in Ethiopia but there are definitely worse places in Africa to live.

As for the drug companies I agree their profits need to be controlled. If nothing else if they are going to say they need the huge profits for R&D then they should have to show that at least 50% of their profits go back into R&D and not into some CEO or shareholders pocket.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhh no...........its set up as a Republic, not a Democracy......there is a very real difference....you can call it a Democratic Republic but it sure is not a Democracy.....dont they teach you kids anything in school?
    Yes, they also set the representatives to be elected, so what is your point? It is not a direct democracy, true but very few countries are.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my point is when it comes down to it Finch we have 545 ppl making the major decisions for 300 million people....that is a long way from a democracy............

as far as comparing the oil companies to the pharmaceutical companies your basically right and once again i see no issue with it .......christ i listen to the same ppl complain we need to get off of oil and on to alternative energies than you complain when oil hits $3 a gallon......without oil at $3 a gallon we will not have major moves to alternative energies cause what keeps us on oil over anything else is cause its CHEAP.......if you really want hydrogen cars and the like you should be happy oil is at $3+ a gallon............cause high oil prices is the ONLY way we are going to get them.........not government legislated BS....it will be the free market that gets them to us the fastest.....and BTW i have ZERO issue with any company making huge profits......thats what all businesses try and do.....every single one will do it if given the chance.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how because a company makes profits that it must be capped or it's profits redistributed. That's called communism. If people actually, truly cared about the oil companies profits they would actually do something about it instead of whine that we need to take their money away.

It's quite simple really. You attack one company at a time. For a month everyone refuses to buy X gas. After a month they'll have to drop their prices. Then we buy from X and boycott Y.

Another solution is for everyone to invest in stocks in the new technology that is out there. We need to put more continuing pressure on the American automobile industry. If there was a competing, renewable energy/new technology available at the pump, gasoline would phase out.

Health insurance has many issues. First off they should not be connected to employers. The individual should be able to shop around and make the health insurance companies compete. Right now health insurance is bought in bulk by employers, and you're stuck with whatever your employer supplies. Pharmaceutical companies should not be allowed to advertise their medications. They have essential cut out the middle man (the doctor) from prescribing medication. Instead they advertise to the general public (that lack medical knowledge) then those people go to their doctors asking for X. There's also an inappropriate relationship that pharmaceuticals have with doctors. They shouldn't be supplying them with free samples to give out like candy. Pharmaceuticals should only make profits for drugs that actually work and aren't recalled a year later.

Health care in general needs to evolve here in the States. We're all about quick fixes, miracle pills and band-aids. We treat the symptoms of secondary ailments that don't resolve the primary ailment. We need to shift away from prescribing pills and instead prescribing lifestyle/dietary changes. We treat disease/illness when it's too late. We should be providing preventive health care not end game health care. Obesity and type II diabetes are perfect examples, which cost Americans billions of dollars in health care treatment a year. Those diseases can both be prevented but we don't prevent them. We let them happen. You know why? They're a cash cow.

While our health care/insurance systems are broken, Universal Health Care does nothing to address these issues. It once again gives the individual no choice on their health insurance, and prevents market competition. Not only that but Universal Health Care will probably only cover basic medical care, and you'll have to pay yet again for additional services. I'm all for helping people out who our in legitimate need, but giving an additional handout isn't going to fix anything. We're going to have people on welfare and universal health care sitting around doing nothing. Why should those who work hard pay for those who refuse to do something to add to society? I'm sure there are extreme cases where people legitimately could use this service, but the majority don't and just abuse it like any monetary hand out given to a homeless man (booze).

Also anyone who is counting out McCain because of the last 8 years of Bush...please re-evaluate before you vote. You're doing your country a disservice. If you cannot comprehend the major events that have occurred in the last 8 years, then you won't understand why we are where we are now. The Clintons had a cake walk in the 90's, the only issue facing this country was what? The O.J. Simpson trial and the Oval office extra-curricular activities? I'm not suggesting that Bush didn't mishandle things or made mistakes (he did), but you can't soley blame the Republicans or Bush for what has happened in this country in the last 8 years. Nor would it be fair to suggest that everyone in the Republican party is like Bush (which is far from the truth). Nobody generalized the whole Democratic party as a caricature of Nancy Pelosi or Ted Kennedy.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outsider All I can say to the first part of your post is, Only in a perfect world. I agree with what your saying, but it will never happen that way. You are right. Follow the money for some things, but the other side of it is patient compliance. The docs don't want to have to deal with the diseases like type2 diabetes and obesity, but people do not want to do what it takes and get off their rump. So you have half of it down but the other half is variable and it is based on everyone being just like you and I in the thinking.

The last paragraph cannot be stressed enough! Bush may not have been the best, but I still think McCain is far better than the two bickering snakes the Dems want to elect. If many of you remember I liked Barok in the beginning, but after seeing what he was about and associated with I have changed my mind.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast