User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was admitted to the Honors program in college. Anyone with experience?

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had a nice dose of AP and Honors classes in High School, look at it as a continuation of a fast paced, rigorous curriculum. The classes are more demanding and they expect simple errors to be non existent (i.e. punctuation or citing in papers). That being said, it is also very rewarding, and you'll set yourself apart if you are able to finish.

At Baylor many started in the honors program, but many also dropped out. They didn't drop out because it was too hard, but dropped out because they didn't feel it was worth it. I think I remember reading that you are going for med school. In your case, it is in your best interests to participate and do very well.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Congratulations are in order!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got the right attitude, and that's the main thing. It's okay to be nervous. It's natural. One general suggestion for studying is to create as many ways as you can to go over subject material. For example, read the material to be covered in class on the day before the class. Take notes during class, and re-write the notes (don't just read the notes) later that day or the next day. Study with friends. Also, get organized, and make specific plans for when you are going to do what. Don't forget to have some fun too. I'm sure you'll do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was not trying to come off as a prick or anything. It's cool you doing good for yourself and you also are pretty cool. Good job.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. thanks but I never said anything lol.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome! Congratulations. I have no doubt you will do very well. You shouldn't be so worried. Yeah, you'll have to work hard but...the rewards will be worth it.

But part of your study time will have to be studying the forums. hehe

Really...that's great.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the hardest part for you will be wearing the honors college uniform's plaid sport jacket.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I think the hardest part for you will be wearing the honors college uniform's plaid sport jacket.
    LOL this is great. I had the mental image and everything.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    LMAO. Congrats, Clint. I know where you are coming from, about studying. A bachelors degree and a masters degree later I still don't know how to study. Heck, I didn't even buy the text books for most of my classes my last year in my masters program. The important thing about college is learning what works for you. Swords did offer some good tips on studying, but it may not work for you. You just have to dive into the new environment and respond.

As for the honor's program, I don't think it's really a big deal (at least from schools I've attended or worked at). You may read more or do more homework, but I feel that, at least in Freshman honors courses, it's more about the workload and the title.

My other recommendation is to not overload yourself with advanced or difficult classes your first semester. For example, if you've completed CALC 2 in highschool, I would suggest taking it again in college. I've seen and known tons of students who are big bad dudes in high school and jump into advanced classes in college because they completed the prereqs in high school and they end up bombing or dropping the course because, as I've said, college is a whole other ballgame. It's a lifestyle change. Many people are ready to take all the advanced classes and would do quite well in them under standard circumstances, but coupled with moving to a new place, going to classes at different times of the day, meeting new people, and developmentally growing, it can be a lot to handle.

If a student bombs their first semester, it's infinately more difficult to raise a GPA than to lower it later on.

I know that's rambling, but it's what I always tell everyone I meet in high school when they ask about tips for adjusting to college life. In high school, you're a big fish in a small pond. In college, your a small fish in a huge pond!

I know you're bright and intelligent, Clint; so, I hope you don't take anything I've said as condescending or not believing in you. Just general tips for any high school student that may be reading this. Again, as I've said, it all comes down to responding to yourself and your needs. Take it slow, learn about yourself as an individual, and then take off!

Oh, and join a club!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast