What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was admitted to the Honors program in college. Anyone with experience?

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey, guys. Much to my surprise, I received a letter saying I was admitted into the Honors program. I didn't even apply. I was in honors classes in HS, but college is different. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm really paranoid about writing a thesis to pass! Like... holy crap I'm scared lol.

Of course I'll do it. I really only want to stay at Berry until Emory or Vanderbilt accept me. Too religious. I HAVE to have that piece of paper with that name. I think this will help my chances of getting in (Counselor got my papers in past the deadline last fall :(, so I hope that's why I was rejected. And I did apply last-minute.) Even if I don't get in (I do have three more shots.. wish me luck) It'll be good for me. I'm feel privileged because only 60 out of all qualifying students are admitted, and class sizes are just around 15, so I think the small class size will be good for me. My major will be Pre-medicine.... or at least that's what it says on my papers. I thought you had to major in something under the science "umbrella" like Biology. There goes my social life but there's plenty of time to party when I'm an old fart who can't enjoy it. Damn lmao. Looks like I'll turn into a bookworm. I guess it's worth the sacrifice to get to where I want to be in the long run. And it's healthier for my liver lmao.

This is the first time I've been nervous about college lol.

Cool congratulations. Sounds like a good opportunity for you.

congrats clint! dont worry, the nervous feeling will be overwhelmed by school work :)

~b

Nice job. I wouldn't worry too much about an honors thesis they don't tend to be too rough for undergraduates.

And don't worry about partying there will be plenty of time for that even in the honors program.

Congrats! Go for it. You'll work your arse off of course, but I'm sure it will help you stand out and gain a better standing later. It's a great opportunity!

Has anyone ever been in an Honors program? I mean.. I'm about to crap my pants lol

I really think I shouldn't do any partying of any kind. It's the antithesis of a party college anyway, and I think I've sort of gotten burnt out on it in high school anyway. Maybe it was just something that needed to get out of my system.

Something else I'm worried about is that I don't really know *how* to study lmao. I always coasted by in high school never applied myself, and somehow always got A's in everything and B's in math. And no, I didn't cheat :p I'm afraid that now that I will have to study a lot and work for it, I won't really know how.

Well aren't you a smart lil guy.

If you had a nice dose of AP and Honors classes in High School, look at it as a continuation of a fast paced, rigorous curriculum. The classes are more demanding and they expect simple errors to be non existent (i.e. punctuation or citing in papers). That being said, it is also very rewarding, and you'll set yourself apart if you are able to finish.

At Baylor many started in the honors program, but many also dropped out. They didn't drop out because it was too hard, but dropped out because they didn't feel it was worth it. I think I remember reading that you are going for med school. In your case, it is in your best interests to participate and do very well.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Congratulations are in order!

You got the right attitude, and that's the main thing. It's okay to be nervous. It's natural. One general suggestion for studying is to create as many ways as you can to go over subject material. For example, read the material to be covered in class on the day before the class. Take notes during class, and re-write the notes (don't just read the notes) later that day or the next day. Study with friends. Also, get organized, and make specific plans for when you are going to do what. Don't forget to have some fun too. I'm sure you'll do well.

Yeah I was not trying to come off as a prick or anything. It's cool you doing good for yourself and you also are pretty cool. Good job.

Well.. thanks but I never said anything lol.

That is awesome! Congratulations. :) I have no doubt you will do very well. You shouldn't be so worried. Yeah, you'll have to work hard but...the rewards will be worth it.

But part of your study time will have to be studying the forums. hehe

Really...that's great.

I think the hardest part for you will be wearing the honors college uniform's plaid sport jacket.

I think the hardest part for you will be wearing the honors college uniform's plaid sport jacket.

LOL this is great. I had the mental image and everything.

LMAO. Congrats, Clint. I know where you are coming from, about studying. A bachelors degree and a masters degree later I still don't know how to study. Heck, I didn't even buy the text books for most of my classes my last year in my masters program. The important thing about college is learning what works for you. Swords did offer some good tips on studying, but it may not work for you. You just have to dive into the new environment and respond.

As for the honor's program, I don't think it's really a big deal (at least from schools I've attended or worked at). You may read more or do more homework, but I feel that, at least in Freshman honors courses, it's more about the workload and the title.

My other recommendation is to not overload yourself with advanced or difficult classes your first semester. For example, if you've completed CALC 2 in highschool, I would suggest taking it again in college. I've seen and known tons of students who are big bad dudes in high school and jump into advanced classes in college because they completed the prereqs in high school and they end up bombing or dropping the course because, as I've said, college is a whole other ballgame. It's a lifestyle change. Many people are ready to take all the advanced classes and would do quite well in them under standard circumstances, but coupled with moving to a new place, going to classes at different times of the day, meeting new people, and developmentally growing, it can be a lot to handle.

If a student bombs their first semester, it's infinately more difficult to raise a GPA than to lower it later on.

I know that's rambling, but it's what I always tell everyone I meet in high school when they ask about tips for adjusting to college life. In high school, you're a big fish in a small pond. In college, your a small fish in a huge pond!

I know you're bright and intelligent, Clint; so, I hope you don't take anything I've said as condescending or not believing in you. Just general tips for any high school student that may be reading this. Again, as I've said, it all comes down to responding to yourself and your needs. Take it slow, learn about yourself as an individual, and then take off!

Oh, and join a club!

xvart.

The letter I got said that there's actually no more work than a normal class, but that it's "more engaging". I was happy to hear that lol.

If I've completed Calculus II in HS? Are you kidding me? Lmao. I got to Trigonometry. I SUCKED big time at Algebra I and II, but Geeometry and Trigonomtry were pretty easy. My luck that I'm good with triangles...damn. The math is why I'm nervous I won't make it as a Dr. The one subject I applied myself in was math, and I still got B's (except Geo and Trig). I didn't plan on taking anything advanced my first year. Home school is SO laid back (no homework ever, three hours of school a day [if I feel like it], waking up at noon, staying up until four...) that I think taking classes I've already had would be really beneficial. I'm the kind of person who can't remember most of what they learned once they do something and stop, anyway.

Congratulations
Usually you have to apply and submit the thesis before getting approved to join. No need to worry. If you were in the honors/distinguished program in HS as I was, you should have no problem at all. The work is slightly more requiring of you, but you also get many privileges that others do not. The honors program gives you discounted to free dorm coverage in exclusive dorms. You also have resources such as study material and help that other students do not. I dont remember everything else I was given but its no big deal and looks good on your resume. You can always pull out of it if you feel its bothersome with no penalty. When choosing your classes, do not be so picky with the times. Whats important is your education, and if you do not have a skilled teacher, then you are wasting your time and money. The last thing you need is a teacher who is too smart to teach (teaches at his own level while students are not there yet). Research your professors at one of the many sites offered on the web, and dont try to get away with taking too many hard courses per semester (upper lvl science and math).
Good Luck and have fun

I know a lot of people say "AP courses prepare you for college", but personally I haven't always found that to be the case... a lot of people I go to college with went to really high-powered high schools and sure, they were well prepared for college classes. My high school was not one of those ;) I took all but 1 or 2 of the APs my school offered (there were... 8? total?) and I did basically nothing in the classes, i got 4's and 5's on everything but calc but then again I'm awful at math. I worked hard because I knew what I wanted, but I can tell you right now that *high school* itself, even the honors classes, didn't do a thing to prepare me for college, other than letting me know I wanted to go there. So basically.... it's really hard to say that high school honors prepare you for anything, because they're so varied.

On the other hand, I did just fine in college for having "slacked off" (with a weighted 4.0) in high school... you just have to realize that it's a new game with higher standards, and adjust accordingly. I did not get into the honors program here, it only takes about 10 kids per class of 1000+ (and you can only enter your freshman year) but our program is honestly useless, I have quite a few friends in it and they all said it wasn't worth the effort. Not being in it apparently didn't hurt my admission to vet school anyway ;) but I guess that varies by college too.

Keep in mind that "more engaging" may in fact be college-speak for "more work" though ;)

Congrats btw!!!!

Back