I've had the opportunity to participate in a few trades here and there and have paused to think back on some experiences.
Most recently, I put out a request for some help. I must have started to type it out on 3 or 4 different occasions, but it felt weird. My collection took a hit from what I'm hoping was just the hard water coming out of the "purified water" machine at the store and I was facing a rather bleak assortment in the backyard.
I finally put the call out after getting a few freelance checks in and figured that I could at least pay the shipping if I had nothing of interest still alive so I didn't feel quite so much like I was begging. A few came forward and helped me get some of the old plants replaced and even some great new additions. Thanks to those that helped out-John, Chris, Crystal-you folks are awesome!
So what have I learned?
1. Most people on here are great. I've run across a horse's behind in a trade, but that's is VERY rare.
2. It will equal out eventually. If the person that you're trading with gets the "better deal", don't fret. You'll probably get swamped more more plants than you have room for from somebody else down the road.
3. Perhaps the most important lesson of them all-think twice before admitting that you're out of D adelae or capensis!!!!! I was down to one young cape and wasn't sure if the adelae runt was going to grow into anything. Now...I'm set. Very set! Thanks guys (meant in an all inclusive, unisex sort of way).
4. "This Side Up" had might as well be written in Latin.
I'm hoping that I have my problems figured out and that these shall thrive to the point where some of the extras can work their way into the auction coming up. I'll keep the adelae and capensis for myself though.