What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central FL Photos

geckoman

Football = Life
Hey, here is some photos I took about 2 months ago and posted on a different forum....

Just thought I would take some pictures of a wetland area that is a 30 minute walk from my house.
(note I am not a good photoagrapher)

Where I stand you can see the devolpment from which I came in...

(click to see larger pic)
And I turn around and see where I am heading...Where I hope to find S. minor...

And now some photos of the famos D. capillaris 'long leaf', my personal opnion is this is a hybrid with intermedia in it...

With some moss...

I walk a little ways and find this, is it a utric?

Farther on I find the biggest cappy that I have ever seen here...

Just some grass right?

Nope inside there are HUGE colonies of the common one...

The pine flats in which I had hoped to find S.minor but only found more D. capillariss and the charred remains of what I belive was once S. minor..

U. gibba ponds...

Thats it I never found minor but then again the site is huge and I did not have time to search it good.

-Josh

Very nice!!!!

There's D. capillaris in Central Florida? From where you found it, I bet it's like an hour drive from where I live. I already knew S. minor grows in Central Florida (one of my friends who hunts told me that he saw S. minor growing near Cocoa). What other CPs grow around here in Central Florida?

What part of Central FL was that? I live there and I'd love to see some CP's in the wild.

Hey,

Trapper7,
I live in the south Orlando area and this site is about a half hour walk from my house. I suggest you look at our website contact our president about good places to see CPs... and join!

Capensis,
Florida has one of the most diverse areas for CP in the world, you can find a bunch of different Drosera, 3 to 5 different Pings, and lots of Utrics and Sarracenia plus hybrids... If you want names let me know.

Also, D. capillaris can be found in almost any sandy, sunny, and wet area in North/Central FL. Go explore and find some CPs like others have done! Its lots of fun to find a new site!

I highly suggest you guys go to our website and look around.
Happy Growing,

-Josh

Yes, please, I would like to know the CPs here in Central-Florida.

Here are a few, S. minor, S. rubra ssp. gulfensis, S. flava, S. leucophylla, S. psittacina, S. purpurea ssp. venosa, P. ionantha, P. caerulea, P. lutea, P. primuliflora, D. filiformis var. filiformis 'red', D. filiformis var. tracyi, D.capillaris, D. intermedia, U. cornuta, U. gibba, U. inflata, and VFT's have naturalized very well. Most of these are found in the panhandle but a few can be found farther south.

-Josh

Here are a few, S. minor, S. rubra ssp. gulfensis, S. flava, S. leucophylla, S. psittacina, S. purpurea ssp. venosa, P. ionantha, P. caerulea, P. lutea, P. primuliflora, D. filiformis var. filiformis 'red', D. filiformis var. tracyi, D.capillaris, D. intermedia, U. cornuta, U. gibba, U. inflata, and VFT's have naturalized very well. Most of these are found in the panhandle but a few can be found farther south.

-Josh

Awesome! I just hope the fires don't damage any :-( .

Awesome! I just hope the fires don't damage any :-( .

On the contrary, most cp's depend on fire to survive. One of the biggest threats to cp's is that humans have learned to control and prevent fires that the cp's need.

A real irony is that when you suppress fire in an area, the fuel builds up and that's when you get the fires like you have now. These fires spread much faster and burns hotter than if the area was periodically burned. This hotter fire can kill cp's and other animals and plants that depend on fire to survive.

On the contrary, most cp's depend on fire to survive. One of the biggest threats to cp's is that humans have learned to control and prevent fires that the cp's need.

A real irony is that when you suppress fire in an area, the fuel builds up and that's when you get the fires like you have now. These fires spread much faster and burns hotter than if the area was periodically burned. This hotter fire can kill cp's and other animals and plants that depend on fire to survive.

Hmm, forgot about that some need fires. But I actually doubt any were in harm's way, but I'm not sure if there weren't any. Though, I don't exactly remember how fires help.

SO true.:cry: :down:

Back