Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: hedgehogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hows about a flying squirrel? they'll cuddle in your shirt pocket all day, its how you ween them. only set back is that they'll eventually need a pretty large cage.

~b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be careful about using any type of cloth-type material for small animal bedding, especially if it's made from synthetics. Often those threads and things can get wrapped around little toes and cut off the circulation. I've seen it happen to parrots when their toys have cloth, rope, or string in them. It's likely to happen to small animals as well.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had gerbils and a couple of chipmunks when I was little. I loved 'em.

Polywer....I think it's great you have political energy....but if you are going to support the Democrats...you should learn how to spell it. DemOcrat.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family had a dwarf rabbit for a really long time. Seriously, it was probably one of the best cage pets we ever owned. Before the rabbit we kept guinea pigs, which although cute, are about as cuddly as a rock that tries to run away from you. Then we got the dwarf rabbit. Not only was it super cute, it always stayed small, and I was never bitten by it, ever. I used to sit with it on the couch, and it would just sit there and lick the hell out of me. Really easy to care for, except that they poo a whole lot. We never potty trained out rabbit, but I know people who have. Really fond memories of that rabbit. I would certainly recommend that over a nasty rat, yuck. (Sorry guys, but mice/rats only belong in traps or the mouths of snakes, IMHO)

And please don't get hermit crabs if you aren't planning on doing the research thats associated with them. They can live forever if you care for them correctly, but you have to realize that they like to spend a lot of time under the ground, not being disturbed. So unless you enjoy invisible subterranean pets, I would stay away from hermit crabs.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    I had gerbils and a couple of chipmunks when I was little. I loved 'em.
    Ahh gerbils. We bought two female gerbils when I was around ten years old. As it turns out, the two female gerbils were actually one male and one female... Needless to say, we had over 200 babies pass through that cage... We couldn't give them away fast enough. My dad ended up telling us that he took the extra 150 some to the pet store, presumably, as most ten year olds would believe, to let them sell them to other people. Two years ago (which would have been 14 years after the story) I found out that my dad was giving them to the pet store to use as snake food! lol. "I never lied to you, son." Betrayal!!!!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word of caution with the dwarf rabbit if you don't give it enough stuff to chew on (those little sticks they sell at the store etc.) and you don't monitor it when its out of its cage they can be extremely destructive. Our friends had one and got rid of it cause it destroyed part of their couch, it ate a hole in the drywall, a shoe, a cabinet corner, some shoe molding. Now I am not saying yours will be that destructive I am just saying you have to monitor it or things like that might happen. Other than the eating of everything it was a really nice pet that liked everybody so I am not warning agianst one I am just saying you have to keep it under control thats all.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rofl @ xvart. ohmigod. That's terrible! I had a male and female but they never had babies. All of my pets seemed to be sterile. lol My parents lied to me and my brother when we were really little and told us our cat ran away. Fact was, they had found him dead on the side of the road. They didn't have the heart to tell us then but later said it broke their hearts to see us calling for the kitty day after day after day. I couldn't believe they lied to us! lol

A neighbor of mine had a house rabbit. It was litter trained but I did notice her kitchen walls were torn up.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerbils are illegal in California.

I've had plenty of hamsters in my time. I just love 'em. The dwarf hamsters are somewhat social if you introduce the animals together when they are young. I've only had the golden or Syrian hamsters and only one had a nervous disposition that would bite. You can usually get these used to handling by wearing thick gloves while playing with them.

Hamsters have short life-spans of an average of two years. If you keep their cages clean they smell a lot less than rats.

Unlike guinea pigs and rabbits they don't mind being carried in your hands. They are quite active and care must be taken that they don't run out of your hands since they have little sense of heights and a fall is usually fatal. You can let them run from hand to hand in an endless treadmill - they love it.

They are nocturnal so they are active at night. You can wake them up during the day to clean the cage or play with them but they might be a bit grumpy when first awakened. And wait until the pee before playing with them when they first wake up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast