Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: hedgehogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hedgehogs

well y dad din't want me to get a SW tank because of energy but i can keep a hamster or hegehog! Which is harder to keep? more playful? Where do you get a permit for the hegdehogs since they are illegal in CA. I really want a hedgehog but don't know where to get a permit and one. any advice on care ? I know that Clint has one.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hedgehogs are not playful. You will be pricked. A lot. A whole lot. And you may be bitten. Unless you breed them, I don't believe you can own one legally in CA. That's the way it works in GA.

Hedgehogs can be sweet, and sweet is a relative term. Even the sweetest, friendliest hedgehog is hiss and snarl when disturbed and curl up in a ball. Once they see it's you (if they trust you), they usually unfurl and lay their quills down. The friendliest hedgehog will still prick you. It's what they do. They are very shy, skittish animals and the slightest thing, such as someone walking through the room, changing the TV channel, or sudden typing across the room will scare them and they'll hiss, curl up, and erect their quills. Have you ever been around someone suffering from nicotine withdrawal? They are really irritable, edgy, and the slightest thing pisses the hell out of them. Hedgehogs are like that. The slightest thing scares the hell out of them and they quill up and start to hiss and snarl. Sometimes when they're really pissed they make this barking/coughing sound. They are just as easy to care for as a hamster, but you must keep them warm at all times. I use a heating lamp AND heating mat, and in the winter she stays in the living room next to the fireplace. You can't let their environment get below 73 degrees or so. They are about as smart as hamsters, which is to say very dumb. You can cuddle with them, although they aren't cuddly. If you want to let them fall asleep under your neck or something like that, be prepared to be stuck if a sudden noise wakes them up. When you're holding a heavy hedgehog and it's quilled up, it really does hurt. Whenever I take showers, you can see the great multitude quill marks on my fingers. You can't take it personally :P She's a very sweet, affectionate hedgehog. They've only been bred domestically (meaning in the US) for just over a decade. They are bred for color and temperment, but they are still very much wild animals.

Get a hamster. You just made a huge leap from deciding you want to do saltwater, to wanting a hedgehog. It sounds to me like you just want an interesting novelty pet on a whim. That's the way most ten year old are, and at ten I was like that. Very impulsive. Even if they were legal there, I'd still tell you to get a hamster. Keep it alive and happy for a couple of years, then think about getting a hedgehog whenever you figure out if you can get a license or move. Besides, hedgehogs cost about 30 times more than a hamster. And the smell of their poop... oh God it's ridiculous. Other good pets are freshwater fish, hermit crabs, small rodents (gerbil, guinea pig, rat, etc), something like fire bellied toads, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sister had a hedgehog......not really a playful or truely friendly pet........the friendliest hedgies i have seen is more that they tolerate your presence.....dont care for hamsters either....hamsters have caused me to bleed more than any other small furry critter....most ppl dont realize they are naturally a solitary animal.......yeah some are nice but at one point we had a Siberian dwarf that we called the "Attack Hamster" cause every time yah put your hand in the cage it tried to chase it down and bite it........if yah can get past the stigma i HIGHLY recommend a rat for a small furry pet above all others.....they are quite literally like a small dog.....the only thing that sucks about them is their fairly short life span..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really nailed it, Sheridan. The best you can hope for is that they'll tolerate your presence. Sometimes they'll nuzzle up to you, and it's so adorable. They're really just looking for a place to sleep or warmth lol. Their moment's of affection (well, our human interpretation of it is affection. It's really nothing) make up for their bad aspects. And they look ADORABLE!

They can't see well, and if you have anything that smells good to them on you're hands they'll bite. HARD and they don't let go. They really try to eat you. They're practically blind and have no depth perception, so they'll walk off the edge of a table if you aren't watching. Falling even a couple of feet can kill one. They also anoint themselves with things they think smell interesting.

They remind me of Critters from the Critter movies :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'd have to say I enjoyed rats above all other furry little critters. As soon as I came home, mine would poke her head out of it's little nest, run up to the cage, show her belly for me to scratch and wait for me to give her a snack.

If you get rats, you're suppose to have two though since they are a social rodent.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, get a rat. I used to have 17 at one point and they are great and very intelligent. Most parents won't let kids get rats, because well, it's a rat. But the ones you get at pet stores (or breeder) are of course nothing like sewer rats.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had most of the different small furry pets over the years, some multiple times, our house was commonly known as the drop off place for small critters that no one else wanted....bout the only common one i havent had is mice.......out of the ones i have had there are only 2 that i recommend for someone who wants a social pet sorta like a dog or a cat you basically have rats and sugar gliders......they are the only two i have come across that are truly social most of the time.....rats are great and i love them, but after about a dozen of them i have developed an allergy to them or i would still have them.......sugar gliders are a whole nother ball of wax, they need a special diet, they need special caging, they REALLY need to be kept in groups and at $100-$200 apiece they are not a cheap animal to keep in groups............

i really do HIGHLY recommend rats.....my first two were great and while they didnt come when called their names a good whistle would bring them running to me when they were exploring the room........most fun i ever had with them though is in the summer when we would get moths in the house, would turn on a lamp by my bed and they would hunt them down and catch them, fun as hell to watch, they would even jump up and catch them out of the air........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about dwarf hamsters? or dwarf rabbits both legal here both cute

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast