Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigh, bumpy road ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be an ominous time in the real estate business, PAK. I have a brother-in-law who's a carpenter and there are no big jobs lined up after the current one, which is a big change from recent years. I wish all of you the best. Alan Greenspan didn't take his foot off the accelerator when he ran the Federal Reserve and a lot of people will suffer for the sins of the past.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, I know how you feel..
    Ive been at EK for 15 years...never felt stable.
    basically ive been continuously waiting to get laid off for 15 years..its all I know.
    its the culture of my entire adult working life...will this be the year I get laid off?
    nope..not yet..but its coming..any day now..

the company has gone from 60,000 Rochester employees to 12,000 in 20 years..
    3 out of 4 employees are gone..my wife is one of them..
    she was laid off 4 times in 10 years.. kept finding a new job with the company each time, only to get the ax again..the last time it happened she said "screw it" and didnt bother to look for another job there..

if I get laid off, we will probably leave NY state for good..
    we are both NY natives, lived here our entire lives, myself from south-central NY and her from Buffalo,
    but the job situation, on top of insane property taxes..well..we dont so much
    anymore..

im 39 and my job is all I know..(im a digital imaging R&D tech..I was a photography major in college) If I do need to make a career change, im considering looking into CAD..
    I could get into that..

Matt,
    you say you are "only in your 30's"..thats YOUNG!
    a freind of mine, mid-30's, just went back to school for a complete career change..
    she went from human resources to being a X-ray technician..she loves her new choice..

the big problem is of course finding the time and money for more schooling once you have a family and a house and a "real life"...but its always possible!

note to you teenagers...go to college right out of highschool!!
    its the best time to go, and its great..you wont regret it.

Scot

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on top of insane property taxes..well..we dont so much
    anymore..
    Haha, I know what you're talking about. Taxes, on top of other problems, are the reason my family and I moved down south from NY and NJ.
    I can't say it was easy leaving the place I lived my whole life, it was actually down right hard, but we're finally starting to settle in.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do CAD it is not hard I've gotten to the level where I could do some architectural work and I'm 15. I know what you mean by horrific economy,my dad's friends in California who own flooring businesses most of them are bankrupt or their businesses are dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the support all. Who's knows what will happen; the unknown in very frightening. Whatever the outcome, hopefully I make better choices this time around. I look back on 13 years of regrets and setbacks due to my career choice, with nothing to show for it to boot. What was once my passion and dream became my misery, which I unfortunately dragged my wife into. This furlough will be devastating, as I will have to start at the bottom of pay again, making less than I made working part time while in college for crying out loud (the pay really is that bad at the bottom) - if I decide to give it another go. But I'm pretty certain I'll say goodbye to the cockpit. Time to cut my losses and move on. If I only knew what direction to go in..

I realize that many folks out there are are facing uncertain futures, and I'm not meaning to have a pity party. I hope things work out well for those of you in similar situations. It's good to hear that some are able to change careers and make it out alright. Hey - at least we have CP's to divert our attention from the stresses of life. Thank God for hobbies. Plus, in my case, I'll be moving back to where my heart is, the Rockies, where I can get back to my favorite past time - hiking and backpacking. There, all my worries melt away. Oh, how I've missed this:

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW.

It must be an ominous time in the real estate business, PAK.
    It is. I'm just hoping my office can tough it out until things start to improve. But I never know when my pink slip is coming. I'm a "luxury"...but I'm also the recruiting bait to get new agents. Times are tough and getting tougher every day.

Quite frankly...I could be tempted to run away into that picture.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear about all of you who are having problems right now. I'm definitely in the same boat. Well, not the same boat, but a similar one.

I graduated with my BA in psychology this past December and moved to San Diego to live with my girlfriend on February 1st. It's now May 12th and I've yet to find full-time employment. I'm seriously considering going back to school in the fall to pursue my Master's, just because the job market is so incredibly sucky right now, not to mention the fact that I've completely changed career directions and am considering a job in writing as opposed to a job in psychology.

Good luck to everyone. Times are definitely tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LG,

I found 2 different articles yesterday that said that our generation has way more training and knowledge than our parent's generation, but crappier pay and lower standards of living.

And they always say we don't know what we're talking about
    It does make me mad though that we're smarter and get much less. I've been shopping for a new country to move to for a few years, but you just can't make money as a doctor like you can in the US. If things get really bad though, I'll just move to Norway or something where the standard of living is astronomically higher than it is here.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast