User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 188

Thread: California supreme court overturns gay marriage ban

  1. #41
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes_ak View Post
    Well unfortunately outsiders, but it had to be done. Like it or not GAYS are minority's, and they Have social status, its not like they are going to hurt you if they are gay they have rights, and its not hurting any one to marry the same sex. And even if you don't feel this way you come off as if you do.
    Yes because this whole thread here I've been trash talking gays getting married right? Please show me where I stated that I have problems with gays having rights? I've been for gay rights, what I'm not for is the changing the definition of marriage. Gay couples could be called civil unions and still have the same rights as a married couple. The fact is it was never about rights, it's about social receptiveness.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  2. #42
    nepenthes_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spring Feild Ohio
    Posts
    3,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see where your coming from outsiders, But lets say you have some one who is 12, really smart, seems like they have a very good grasp on reality. And understands relationships on the mental level (not physical i mean come on the child is 12). Would it be ok then, should we have some kind of test that finds out if its ok? but thats just a "lets say this could happen" thing. Doesn't mean it really will happen. No, this is why I assume that its set at 18. Their are a majority of teenagers, that can make responsible decisions at this age.

    But on the subject, Here is how I see it, You have your right to your opinion and values, we all know this and we all express it! But, if you are forcing your values or opinions on some one else aren't you taking away their rights? Being gay and being gaily married doesn't hurt any one, maybe on an emotional level with their parents, (usually close minded parents) but this can be overcome unless the parents are really ignorant.

  3. #43
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you say we aren't socially accepted doesn't make it so. Have you seen the media? People LOVE us. And I don't mean just on Bravo and Showtime. Try ABC and Fox. Primetime. Even a lot of people who don't think we should marry LOVE us, and these days most of the stereotypes are positive. We're everywhere in the public sphere and no one has a problem with it. Maybe Phred Phelps.

    Why don't you call your relationships by the original word for marriage if it means so much to you that you want to exclude people.

  4. #44
    Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Zone 8
    Posts
    5,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Even though we're not discussing the marriage of children here xvart
    Well, we are talking about marriage of children because an argument was made on why marrying gay couples is similar to marrying children and dogs, and I was responding to that under the context of the original discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    xvart, I will humor you.
    Okay... I appreciate that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Can you please show me how someone who is 17 that turns 18 magically has some kind of mental capacity that they didn't before?
    Clint is correct. You do have to draw an age somewhere, because if you didn't, a four year old could put an "X" on a piece of paper giving his or her parents retirement fund, house, or anything away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    I know adults who are in their mid 20's/30's who have the mental capacity of someone who you'd think was a teenager. Age doesn't mean anything.
    Additionally, mental capacity is another area that makes contracts null and void under the law. People without the mental capacity to know what they are signing are under the same protection as children are.

    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  5. #45
    nepenthes_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spring Feild Ohio
    Posts
    3,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Interesting. So please do show me how Jews/Christians are forcing people to get married and have marriage rights. Oh that's right, I believe people are taking from Judeo/Christian values and distorting it for their own means.

    Also you're free to believe that you are a descendant of a monkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Yes because this whole thread here I've been trash talking gays getting married right? Please show me where I stated that I have problems with gays having rights? I've been for gay rights, what I'm not for is the changing the definition of marriage. Gay couples could be called civil unions and still have the same rights as a married couple. The fact is it was never about rights, it's about social receptiveness.

    Right, but you dont get it, its some one right to get married male or female, calling it a Civil union is just like making black people free, but instating Jim Crow Laws like what was done in the past, they are free, but we wont let them do certain things

  6. #46
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it is not binding for a minor to sign any legal contract. And marriage is a legal contract!

    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  7. #47
    Cardiac Nurse JB_OrchidGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    3,818
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Also you're free to believe that you are a descendant of a monkey.
    That is because we are. Also because I believe this does not mean I do not believe in god. I think evolution is in his plan for this earth. All he did was get the ball started and then that fearful thing of evolution took over. Just like the remnant of the dinosaurs are the birds we know today. Not all were reptile. Just like when we create a good enough AI it will evolve and this planet may then be inhabited by robotic life forms.

    Now back to the topic at hand. What difference does two guys having the same rights under the law as far as child issues and financial issues have to do with anyone else? The whole bestiality comment and incest have nothing to do with the argument and are not even in the same realm as gay marriage. But if you want to get technical incest is in the bible and not in a bad way. So you could argue it is allowed.

    I can also make a case to legalize marijuana with the bible, but I bet most are still against that too. So I think it is asinine to use the bible as an excuse for one thing, but then not use it for the other.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

  8. #48
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know if I was a God, I'd put things on autopilot, too :P

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •