Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: California supreme court overturns gay marriage ban

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Indeed it is not binding for a minor to sign any legal contract. And marriage is a legal contract!

Capslock
    And I think Outsiders' point is that originally it was a "contract" between god and man/woman and not a "legally binding contract." But then, my discussion point about churches, the voice and body of god, marrying gay couples comes back.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    Because I'm waiting for someone to drop the bomb. I'm waiting for someone to suggest why all these things are deemed wrong.

It sounds like morality might be an issue here and I find it quite ironic.
    While that looks like it might be true with incestuous marriage/relationships, its just not the cases for human beings marrying animals.

On marrying a close relative:

To me, incestuous marriages seem to be another victim less crime. Unless, of course, you count the risk of defects in the case of conception. But thats where things start to get complicated. One could argue that if incestuous conception is not to be allowed for the sole purpose of preventing genetic problems in offspring, then in couples where both people carry the same problematic recessive gene should also not be allowed to conceive.

There seems to be no actual good reason to ban incestuous marriages, other than the vast majority frowns upon it but its never a good idea to make laws based on the most widespread opinion.

If you look way back in the history of the royal family, you'd see that incest was quite commonplace. Just food for thought.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could say it's mentally damaging to one or both partners/relatives, and/or that the desire to have an incestuous relationship is a pre-existing mental illness, or brought on by some external stimuli, such as childhood trauma or something of that nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    You could say it's mentally damaging to one or both partners/relatives, and/or that the desire to have an incestuous relationship is a pre-existing mental illness, or brought on by some external stimuli, such as childhood trauma or something of that nature.
    Sure, you could say that, but can it be proven?

When you write "You could say it's mentally damaging to one or both partners/relatives", what do you mean? I'm not understanding that part.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm saying you could make the argument that incest IS a crime with victims, with the damage being done mentally to one or both people.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot damn Jeremy that was a good post!! I would personally not want to do my mother, but incest has happened and is even in the bible. You just opened another can of worms when you talk about two people with the same recessive traits not being allowed to marry.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    That is because we are. Also because I believe this does not mean I do not believe in god. I think evolution is in his plan for this earth. All he did was get the ball started and then that fearful thing of evolution took over. Just like the remnant of the dinosaurs are the birds we know today. Not all were reptile. Just like when we create a good enough AI it will evolve and this planet may then be inhabited by robotic life forms.
    You can choose to believe that JB_OrchidGuy, but that is only ONE possibility which requires faith to accept as truth.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    But if you want to get technical incest is in the bible and not in a bad way. So you could argue it is allowed.

I can also make a case to legalize marijuana with the bible, but I bet most are still against that too. So I think it is asinine to use the bible as an excuse for one thing, but then not use it for the other.
    Do you know the likes of Lot and his daughters? The Bible frowns upon incest, and anything that intoxicates your mind. Regardless we're not using the Bible here to justify incestual/polygamistic/animal marriages. We're using the law and the fact that gays can be married. If everyone truly deserves the same rights and protections under law, lets put our money where our mouth is.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then in couples where both people carry the same problematic recessive gene should also not be allowed to conceive.
    I agree with that though. Just because you CAN reproduce, does not by any means insinuate that you ever should. There are plenty of mentally unstable people (i.e. serial killers and the like), and plenty of people born with severe congenital defects that aspire to nothing but a waste of resources and a burden on the state that could've been prevented. I think people should have to file an application to have a kid. [EDIT]

I don't see what's so wrong with having a more Spartan society, but hey, that's just me.
    Last edited by PlantAKiss; 05-15-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Uncalled for
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast