Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: California supreme court overturns gay marriage ban

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California supreme court overturns gay marriage ban

It's really a matter of time before the other states come to their senses. Progress is inevitable.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080515/...gay_marriage_4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it ironic that in this pic: http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Same-S...J8abY4OFhH2ocA

The guy is making the "George Bush face":
    http://blog.kir.com/archives/George-Bush%20frowning.jpg
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would states ban this anyway?? I don't see how it's ANY of their business who people marry! It's disgusting that they would discriminate like that and I hope the other states will soon realize that.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, yeah he is, PK!

Anyway, even our Republican governor, "The Governator", has come out in support of the decision and said that he will not support any effort to change the Constitution away from the concept of equal rights and protection under the law. I think this time it's going to stick, and be a model for the rest of the nation.

Anyway, I consider this very, very good news, and an important decision for all of us in that it affirms that we are all equal citizens. Even as a non-gay California resident, this is an important day for us, since if some of us aren't considered equal citizens, NONE of us are safe.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper7 View Post
    Why would states ban this anyway?? I don't see how it's ANY of their business who people marry! It's disgusting that they would discriminate like that and I hope the other states will soon realize that.

Some people think marriage is only between a man and a woman. It's fine if they want to think that, but saying what I can and can't do isn't really their business. Why they're obsessed with what we do behind closed doors is beyond me. Today, marriage is a legal document, not some holy spiritual union to the vast majority of people. There is no "sanctity" in marriage anymore when the divorce rate is 50%, we have drive-through ceremonies, and Britney Spears can get married for 55 hours. People are fighting for tradition out of fear, hate, and ignorance. The only way we can move forward as a country is via social liberalism, because that's moving forward and making progress. Right-wing values can do nothing but keep us where we already are at best, and regress our society by regulating morality at the worst. I guess, to be fair, the conservative could say the same.... but their view is limiting freedom, ours is expanding it.

As for Ahhrnaahhld, he was bound to realize you can't be a popular governator in the gay Mecca and support a ban. Besides, people only voted for him in that circus of an election because he's Ahhrnaahhld. This is supposed to be the land of the free, where we can do whatever we want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I can't see how putting "Marriage" instead of "Civil Union" on a piece of paper will affect your neighbor. The benefits are the same, it's just the word we want. Civil unions, like segregation, are separate but equal for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All your base are belong to us‼
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said everybody! Separation of church and state is a GOOD thing. People need to realize that most of these type of laws regarding personal freedoms are based on religous mores (i.e., Bible dictates that marriage is between a man and a woman).

As long as people are in consentual relationships that are not harming anyone...who cares.

Yay for California for having some common sense.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to get over this stupid gay marriage crap. its not that big a deal that a (wo)man wants to marry another (wo)man. and like was mentioned several times i dont see what right the govt has to regulate and discriminate.
    Last edited by PlantAKiss; 05-15-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Removed word
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast