Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the geocentric bible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the geocentric bible

Yesterday's junk mail included a brochure from the Geocentric Bible Foundation and, to lighten the load on the current gay marriage discussion, I offer you:

http://www.geocentricity.com

The Day the Earth Stood Still is every day.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (man staring downward at the ground says) "The sky is pink"

(second man says) "take a look at it..you will clearly see its blue"

"no..I dont have to look, because the bible says the sky is pink, and thats good enough for me"

"but its NOT pink! just look up and SEE with your OWN eyes that the sky is blue!"

(still staring down at the ground) "no, you are wrong..you are misled..the bible says the sky is pink, there is NO evidence the sky is blue..you are wrong, the bible is right..the sky is pink.."

(second man walks away shaking his head in amazement..)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He he he he he he he ha ha ha ha ha I believe in God and all, but I am sorry Man still wrote the bible. What about the Gospal of Judah or the Gospal of Mary? They were not good enough for the bible so a preist left them out since he didn't like what they had to say.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the gist of their point of view (lifted from http://www.geocentricity.com/geocent.../whygeo.html):

To hear tell, geocentrism, the ancient doctrine that the earth is fixed motionless at the center of the universe, died over four centuries ago. At that time Nicolaus Copernicus (picture below), a Polish canon who dabbled in astrology, claimed that the sun and not the earth was at the center of the universe. His idea is known as heliocentrism. It took a hundred years for heliocentrism to become the dominant opinion, and it did so with a complete lack of evidence in its favor.

Yet the victory of heliocentrism has been less than total. Over the years geocentrism has had its spokesmen. Among scientists who adhered to the centrality of the earth were three generations of Cassinis: a family of astronomers who dominated French astronomy from the late seventeenth to the early nineteenth centuries. Astronomers, pastors, and educators in the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church maintained the geocentric truths well into the twentieth century. They, with the reformers such as Luther, saw that the embracing of heliocentrism would weaken not only science, but also the authority of the Bible.

The second of these two concerns: how the Bible's authority is weakened by heliocentrism; stems from the firm manner in which the Bible teaches geocentricity. Geocentric verses range from those with only a positional import, such as references to "up" and "down;" through the question of just what the earth was "orbiting" the first three days while it awaited the creation of the sun; to overt references such as Ecclesiastes 1, verse 5:

The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

I thought biblical literalists accept that a lot of the bible is figurative. I haven't read the whole site, but I won't be surprised if they've decided that Hemingway was an avid supporter of their geocentrism. Otherwise, why would he have written The Sun Also Rises? Assuming they've heard of Hemingway.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way! People are NOT still arguing that the earth is the center of the universe - are they?

OMG, next they'll be saying the earth is flat, oh yeah, there's some of those too right here:
    http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to comprehend how someone can seriously believe these things and not require some sort of psychotropic medication.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good one... There's a whole pantheon of geocentrists and a lot of them make their argument without the Bible at all. I'm also a fan of the people that think that pi is a rational number. (It's just three; you don't need all those fancy decimal places - your math teacher was just messing with you.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    He he he he he he he ha ha ha ha ha I believe in God and all, but I am sorry Man still wrote the bible. What about the Gospal of Judah or the Gospal of Mary? They were not good enough for the bible so a preist left them out since he didn't like what they had to say.
    Lot to learn ye have. Man may have written the Bible but it was through the working of God through those men that the Bible was written. You also need to brush up on your Bible history because a single solitary priest did not decide what was the New Testament was to encompass. The most likely reason that the two gospels you mentioned weren't included was probably because they repeat the same information that's in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast