What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
It's almost here...

The 2008
NASC Annual Benefit Auction!
Saturday, June 7, 2008 through Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hi everybody!

Yep...it's just about that time. Many of you are familiar with the Annual NASC Auction. It is an online auction, hosted by the esteemed Andrew Beauchamp of TerraForums and FlyTrapShop.com, who’s proceeds support the functioning of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy.

What is NASC? NASC is the North American Sarracenia Conservancy who’s mission is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation. With the help of the CP and conservation community, we hope to achieve a diversified Sarracenia "national collection" which will ensure that these beautiful plants will remain in their native environment and public/private collections so future generations may enjoy them as much as we do today.

Visit our website at http://www.nasarracenia.org for more detailed information.

The auction consists of donations of plants and other items that will be auctioned off in the NASC Benefit Auction Forum. Each donated item will consist of a topic with all bids posted in that topic. Shortly, Andrew will be opening up the Auction Forum JUST for viewing of the rules so everyone will have time to ask questions. Although most of the donations are plants, you can donate other items too (books, artwork, gardening items, etc.). The auction opens at noon, Sat. June 7th and closes at 10 p.m. Saturday, June 21st. (Opening and closing times listed are EASTERN Daylight Savings Time so adjust to your time zone accordingly.) Reading of the rules is required for participation; participation in the auction will assume understanding and acceptance of all rules.

In addition, as we have done in the past, NASC will be sharing auction proceeds with another conservation project.

We will be donating 50% (up to $1,500) of our proceeds
to the Splinter Hill Bog land acquisition project
of TNC (The Nature Conservancy)

More information on this can be found in Barry Rice’s post here:
http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=initiatives&action=display&thread=33.
It’s a worthy cause and we hope everyone will donate with enthusiasm so we can assist TNC in getting more bog land protected. The Sarracenia on this land are awesome!

AND...NEW THIS YEAR...we will be running a membership promotion during the Auction period: free NASC memberships for the remainder of the 2008 year to anyone who donates an item to our auction. If you donate and would like to join NASC, all we need is your membership form and you will be a member for the remaining 2008 year!

NASC has had great support in the previous years from TerraForums and others in the CP and conservation community. The proceeds fund NASC operations including the growing program, field surveys, the newsletter, web site, the location database, etc. We appreciate your dedication in funding our conservation efforts.

And...as always, we are looking for volunteers to help with various tasks ranging from field surveys to education to web site work. We have a lot to do and need hands to do it. :)

Please read the Auction rules (once Andrew opens that forum for VIEWING) and feel free to ask questions. The moderators will help with any questions you have.

Thank you to:​
Andrew for his time and effort hosting the auction, to the moderators who will assist, to all our supporters and volunteers and to the fantastic NASC Board of Directors who put in countless hours of their personal time because of their belief and dedication to this conservation cause.

Any questions? Just ask!

Thank you all!

-PAKtioneer

What are the advantages /benefits associated with a NASC membership ?
Don't worry I'll get rid of umm I mean donate some typical binatas,some capensis forms and whatever else is taking over,I mean I'm propogating.

hello- as per the PAKtioneer's request... I have opened the NASC auction forum for viewing... so please check out the rules so you're ready to go when it opens! To get there even faster, just scroll down and click on the NASC auction banner :)
Andrew

lol Easy plants are always a welcome donation for the beginners. And...who doesn't love capensis and binatas??

Well...the biggest advantage is that you are supporting the conservation of Sarracenia. NASC's goal is to have location and/or genetic material from every population of Sarracenia so that it is a permanent record. And there are other goals as well. And we can't do that without some operation funds.

However...we are setting up our Seed Bank and will be offering packets of LOCATION SPECIFIC Sarracenia seed to the membership only. They will be $1 per pack plus $2 shipping. You also will get the NASC newsletter, Drumondii, emailed to you.

But really, as with all non-profit organizations, a membership is designed to benefit the organization's goals moreso than benefit the member. :)

I'll still unload alota newbie CP packages :)

Just a bump. :)

Don't worry I'll get rid of umm I mean donate some typical binatas,some capensis forms and whatever else is taking over,I mean I'm propogating.

That's great! I've seen some questions of "What would be a good donation?"

Since the NASC auction has such a diverse group of folks participating, a little of of everything is great! Whether it be literature, starter packs, a rare plant (carnivorous or not!) we welcome it!

Some of my favorite wins in past auctions have been literature, actually. :)

Remember to read the rules folks, and PM me, Xvart, Pak, or Ozzy if you've got questions/suggestions!

Hey guys. Is there any way to access last years auctions?

Thanks.

I'll be donating moss. No plants; I've given all but a select few away.

Of course everyone knows my moss is the shiznit, so forget buying it on ebay. Buy it from the NASC auction!

Joosa...is there something you need to know about last year's auction? We have it archived but its not publicly available.

Joosa...is there something you need to know about last year's auction? We have it archived but its not publicly available.
That's okay. Don't worry about it. I just wanted to go back again and see the items that were donated.

No worries though. ;)

There was quite a wide range of things donated. All of it was good!

Bump! Sorry...it's my job. :D

To whatever mod gets to this first....

Is there any possibility of ending an auction a few days early? I'm moving the 15-17th of July, and if I donate a plant that is being bid on, there's no guarantee that it will make it all the way to Ft. Worth in the same conditions as when originally posted (or survive at all). Also, the less things I have to move, the better. If not, I'm kind of reluctant to donate plants, because I don't want to disappoint or anything. I'd hate for someone to get worked up about something that just ended up dieing in the move.

While I understand your situation, we can't change the rules for one person...or two...or three. Not only would it not be fair in regards to posted rules and an equal "playing field" for everyone but it would complicate the moderator's and treasurer's job to have to be handling one or more listings differently from the rest. And actually people have up to two weeks to pay for an auction after it ends and items are not shipped until they are paid for...so...potentially an item that ended early still might not be shipped until after your moving date.

We DO allow people to make notes regarding extentuating shipping circumstances such as "I will be on vacation from x to y and this item will not be shipped until after that date." Obviously we'd prefer not to have listings with "special needs" so to speak, but sometimes it can't be helped. As long as terms like that are clearly noted in the item description so people KNOW that when they bid, we will accept that.

We greatly appreciate any donated items but we also want any live items to be in good health at shipping time. If you truly think your plants might die or be failing by the end of the auction, it might be best not to offer them.

Good luck on the move. I hope your plants do make it alright.

Thanks.

I don't anticipate that they will die, but I was saying just in case. I might just limit my offerings then to already established plants that are much more likely to make it in good health. I don't anticipate any losses, but you never know.

ITs always a great birthday present for me!

but i haven't yet participated. :(

Yippppeeeee
only one more day to go til the auction starts.Well it will be when most of you folk read this note.
Lois

50 hrs....and counting.

:rookwoot:

DROOL!

WANT MORE STUFF!

Gotta do it on the down low this year. Don't want to hear the riot act from my wife :crazy:

Back