Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The oil crisis may soon be over

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the discovery channel, it showed the tank and it was made from carbon fiber. It is protected by the frame. If it's in a crash and the tank is ruptured it will rapidly decompress without exploding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, that doesn't *actually* mean it has zero emissions, any more than an electric car has zero emissions.

Electric, hydrogen, and compressed-air cars all work on the same principle - they take energy on board in a stored form which can power the car without emissions, but that energy must come from somewhere. You need a power plant to generate the electricity, a plant to make the hydrogen, or an air compressor, all of which cost energy to run.

Now, in all fairness, a large plant making hydrogen, compressed air, or power can do so more efficiently and with less pollution per Watt than modern cars, simply because such large installations can make use of large, heavy, non-portable machinery to improve efficiency, while a car engine must obviously remain small enough to fit into a car. But to label them as "zero emissions" is misleading and inaccurate.

What's impressive about the air-car is that it's found a new way to store energy which is probably a lot lighter. Hydrogen stored in tanks in carsis asking for a catastrophic explosion. Alternatively, if stored in metal hydrides, it's heavy as hell. Batteries for electric cars are similarly massive. Presumably an air-car can store the same energy in a lighter way, and the tank could be pre-rigged so that if it does rupture, it'll do so in a harmless way.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second video down it does say that you still need fossil fuels to produce the air (at the air pump) BUT, they also said later that they have an engine that can produce the electricity from the compressed air. Win win.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could cut the fossil fuels out of the equation if they used wind turbines to produce the electricity to run the air compressor.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called a very efficient battery that won't get damaged from improper charging or all the battery problems. Compressed air is great since it isn't expensive minus the tank. I wish they could make a hovercraft that has a air driven prop Lipos stink since they have weight to them,are expensive,can get damaged easy and will violently explode if damaged(but are great for secondary power storage not a primary storage). I really like this idea better than hydrogen(no platinum,pem membranes,hydrogen worries and hydrogen viability problems) since there are no fuel cells needed or any this or that just compressed air, you could even run a small generator for your this or that, When you brake, it would put power into a small Lipo bank. The possibilities are endless; you could have a battery bank of lipos that are for emergency usage you could "recharge" (via a small compressor) your air tank and keep that going with your braking generator.... Makes me kinda exited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renewable power is worthless without a good battery. Once we get this new battery technology the leap to solar/wind as the primary source of energy for the grid should be easier.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
    Um, that doesn't *actually* mean it has zero emissions, any more than an electric car has zero emissions.
    But the emissions aren't coming out of the car, so the emissions aren't your fault. I love the American Dream.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast