Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The oil crisis may soon be over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often wondered why companies are taking things the size of the already fuel efficient Hondas and Toyotas etc and making THEM more fuel efficient when the ones that need the new technology are the larger vehicles. I realize that you have to start somewhere, but if you could pull off a hybrd semi or RV...now THAT would impact things a great deal. Imagine how much you could make with a fuel efficient RV.

I entered truckers' log info into a data base at a previous job and the bucks that they spend is incredible. When you stop to think about what that translates into as far as gallons...yipes!

I need the cargo capacity of my Explorer so I'm screwed anyway. I'm really uncomfortable in this Explorer when semis blast past me in rain and snow-you couldn't pay me to get into one of these death-mobiles.

Our Mission: To bring zero pollution motoring at any speed, for any distance, to the largest number of motorists possible and, in doing so, significantly improve the quality of the air we breathe and reduce our collective carbon footprint.

What they don't tell you is that they're reducing the carbon footprint by reducing the population of drivers by killing them off. It doesn't matter how careful you are-things happen beyond your control and this doesn't look like it'll keep you safe in a side impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like it! it just needs a paint and body job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Save the world !!!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
    Um, that doesn't *actually* mean it has zero emissions, any more than an electric car has zero emissions.

Electric, hydrogen, and compressed-air cars all work on the same principle - they take energy on board in a stored form which can power the car without emissions, but that energy must come from somewhere. You need a power plant to generate the electricity, a plant to make the hydrogen, or an air compressor, all of which cost energy to run.

Now, in all fairness, a large plant making hydrogen, compressed air, or power can do so more efficiently and with less pollution per Watt than modern cars, simply because such large installations can make use of large, heavy, non-portable machinery to improve efficiency, while a car engine must obviously remain small enough to fit into a car. But to label them as "zero emissions" is misleading and inaccurate.

What's impressive about the air-car is that it's found a new way to store energy which is probably a lot lighter. Hydrogen stored in tanks in carsis asking for a catastrophic explosion. Alternatively, if stored in metal hydrides, it's heavy as hell. Batteries for electric cars are similarly massive. Presumably an air-car can store the same energy in a lighter way, and the tank could be pre-rigged so that if it does rupture, it'll do so in a harmless way.

Mokele
    I agree with you on the part about not being emission free because currently we do get out hydrogen from fossil fuels. Yet the storing of hydrogen storage in cars I disagree with. BMW has made a hydrogen powered combustion engine. Not a fuel cell, but it actually burns the hydrogen making water. They store liquid hydrogen in a tank behind the seat. They crash tested the tank and it is VERY strong. They dropped a full tank from a ridiculous hight and it didn't rupture. I read it on the BMW site. Also hydrogen has to be in certain proportions with O2 to be combustible, or so I am told. Is that wrong?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it needs oxygen to be combustible, which is why when the tank ruptures an explosion ensues.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time some kind of fuel efficent hoot-nanny appears, the oil companies buy out the plans so they don't loose money. I have a feeling the same thing will happen here. Lets hope not.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If cars were smaller, they'd be much more efficient whether powered by compressed air, hydrogen or gasoline. If smaller cars are dangerous among all the trucks on the road, we should quit subsidizing the trucking industry. That would let economics shift freight to rail and free the roads for smaller vehicles.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    That would let economics shift freight to rail and free the roads for smaller vehicles.
    We would also have to spend less money on road repairs.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast