What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first pie!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I've never made a pie before. Today I made a key lime pie, and I think I did an OK job for my first time. I hope the filling thickens up because it wasn't very thick when I poured it in, even though I added like a teaspoon of corn starch because I didn't think it was thick enough. I won't know until tomorrow. I think I made the meringue too stiff, because I couldn't make those "cowlicks" on the pie. I think I over cooked it too... but for my FIRST pie I think I did OK. I'm used to cakes. Martha Stewart's "Easy" crust recipe is anything but. I tried SO hard, but in the end it ended up ruined and looked like an undercooked biscuit, so I sold out and used a graham cracker crust. What culinary shame. I'm not sure what's bigger, my pie or my mess. I've got a mountain of tiny key lime peelings, zest, flower everywhere, and a mountain of bowls and pots as you can see in my sink.

DSC03841.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

I also tried to make peanut butter fudge. Twice. They're both crumbly, except one is too moist and the other is too dry and it's grainy. I'm not good with boiling sugar. Paula Dean's version made with velveta was gross.... I don't recommend it.

keep trying....usually takes me bout 3 to 5 times to nail something

Don't give up,practice makes perfect.Plus if you mess up it may still taste good......Mmmmm pie!

I don't make pies or cakes but I do grill and cook on the smoker,cooking is fun!

I loves Key Lime Pie.

cant argue with results!

cooking is the best. Pies are really fun to make too-especially when your really bad at them like me! It's always a suprise, which isnt always a good thing...but hey. It's fun! I looks really good for your first time!

(for those of you who are bug people: doesnt it kinda look like a mantis ootheca? haha it does to me! :D no offense intended!)

one thing i have found is some ppl are good at cooking and some are good at baking but i generally dont find someone really good at both.....my dad and i are very good at cooking meals(except the part on getting everything to get done at the same time) however we arent very good at baking.......my mom on the other hand isnt as good at making meals from scratch but is excellent at baking cakes, pies, rolls, bread ect....i can create a meal from scratch using just an idea in my head(though a specific dish created from scratch takes a few tries to perfect) but i cant make my favorite banana bread even with my moms recipe.....so i just drop my over ripe bananas at her house and pick up a loaf of banana bread the next day :grin:...

keep practicing if yah really want to do it.....you'll get the hang of it, very few are naturals at either cooking or baking and practice is required.....you want a really good pie horror story? my grandmother made the most beautiful apple pie....actually looked good enough to be on the cover of a magazine......only issue, she accidentally grabbed salt instead of sugar.......as good as it looked you couldnt force it down your throat........

Good job!!

Once you start having success with your crusts - you will never want to eat store bought ever again.

I use the recipe for the crust from The Joy Of Cooking. It REALLY helps to refrigerate the dough for a while. Also, I use a very thin piece of cloth, almost like linen, impregnated with flour as a surface to roll out the dough. It works great and you can pick the whole thing up to invert the dogh onto the pan or top half of the pie.

Happy Eating.

WildBill

if you dont want it you can send it my way.

I think I made the meringue too stiff, because I couldn't make those "cowlicks" on the pie.

I keep reading "cowpie," lol. Looks delicious, Clint. Let us know how it tastes.

xvart.

KLP is good stuff.... but not as good as cheesecake! How 'bout making Key Lime cheesecake... natural hybrid!

My sister's first pie looked like some mutant 3 or 4 times later and it looks like a formal pie.

There are all kinds of different homemade crusts you can make. I make my key lime pie crust with soda crackers, slivered almonds, sugar, and butter. Sounds crazy, but is very good.

Get some heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, lime juice, and whip up a topping to replace the merange. Much better! ;) My grandma used to call merange "calf spit".:-D

Good cooking takes practice and a whole lotta trial and error.

KLP is good stuff.... but not as good as cheesecake

cheesecake........................droooooooool..............................

YUMMO! That looks great to me. Did you use real key limes? I love a GOOD key lime pie but they are hard to find.

I'll take a slice of pie...and those jadeite plates and the bowl in the sink. :D

It was practically soup inside.... But I froze it and it made great ice cream. I don't know HOW it could have gone wrong. The filling was 1/2 cup lime juice, 4 eggs, and 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk. It's not rocket science, but somehow It turned out liquid. Like... drink it with a straw liquid.

I did use real key limes, and I'm not sure my mother knows I used her jadeite lmao.

Back