1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any more demand stories to tell? They are very entertaining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangely and thankfully, I don't seem to get too many. I think that I've only received one demand. All the others have been polite requests.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of gotten like people can't post about plants or mention some plants without getting jumped on in the chatbox about trades or whatever. People need to review the site rules about the chatbox:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108110
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself had a bad experience in a prior trade... let's just say I won't be dealing with this person anymore. There is much self entitlement on here, but fortunately the vast majority seem to really enjoy plants, and are decent enough to be grateful for what they get. I like to keep the spirit of giving plants since many awesome individuals on here helped jump start my collection.

I am to the point where I like to do all of my transactions via PM just so I can keep them on the down low

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^
    did you have them blacklisted? There is a deadbeat traders thread on here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to this thread, at the risk of beating a dead horse... what I used to get, back when I had a plant nursery, was people, kids usually, demanding high priced Nepenthes or Heliamphora, to be sent to places they couldnt possibly grow them. The exchanges usually were phone calls and went as follows...

them: hey, I want an Nep , how much?
    me: $
    them: Thats a lot of money, can you hold one for me so I can get the money from my parents?
    me: sure,
    them: Will it grow outside?
    me: Where do you live?
    them: Miami... why?
    me: It wont grow outside in Miami, it is too hot for it. This is a high altitude, cool growing plant. it wouild need an air conditioned greenhouse or something like that... and I would spell out the growing req.s of this Nep.
    them: I can stick it in the shade or in the house.
    me: do you have any way to keep it colder then 80 by day and down around 50 or less by night?
    them: no
    me: have you ever grown any Nepenthes before?
    them: No
    Why do you want this one? Why not an easy warm grower like N. gracilis or khasiana etc... ? This will be dead in weeks...
    them: so, Ill just get another one. or... I want the biggest pitchers...

and it would go downhill from there. I always refused to sell by then... wasnt going to kill a rare plant for no reason.

and I too want to thank those who have sent me plants recently. If I have forgotten my manners, I am not only appalled at myself and abjectly sorry, I also wish now to say that aside from a few aphids, from the moss I suspect, the plants are settling in and appear to be beginning to grow. I will get a PM out to you all shortly reporting. And thanks again...
    over-stressed, living from one disaster to the next, getting worse all the time... but still trying to grow plants.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 11-29-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cracks me up Do you have any other stories andrew?

You are getting sleeeepy...very, very sleeeeepy.... JennB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and it would go downhill from there. I always refused to sell by then... wasnt going to kill a rare plant for no reason.
    Good on you, andrew! I admire anyone who puts a living thing over a buck. When I worked at a place that sold tropical and saltwater animals I got a lot of the same thing! I never, ever minded educating someone who simply didn't know any better but when I explained why a particular animal just flat out wouldn't live in the conditions they described having yet they still pushed to try to make me sell it really made me see red! Why the get something that is just going to die?!

over-stressed, living from one disaster to the next, getting worse all the time... but still trying to grow plants.
    Hope things smooth out for you!
    JennB