Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimmie-Gimmie sydrome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phission's stipulations help witht he lurker thing.
    That must get old I've been asked but not really asked alot a few times.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    phission's stipulations help witht he lurker thing.
    Pyro has been doing the stipulations "thing" for a long while that I can recall... but he doesn't do it on everything... Some of the stuff he just needs to get rid of, or doesn't feel it warrants the stipulations.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pyro is a super nice guy... I guess he's pretty smart too.... except for that talking to himself thing

I thank him for being around and doing what he does
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee Andy, thanks for making me look like (more of) an egg-headed dork than I already do LOL

Just to clear things up a bit...

I was not posting this simply because it was happening to me. As I mentioned in my initial post, if it had been something that was only happening to me I would have just let it roll off my back like I usually do. What motivated me to post was that I was hearing about it from others too. I tend to be more protective of others than I am of myself and I also take my job as a Mod of these forums seriously.

In addition, I am not saying that people are not allowed to "spontaneously" contact someone about the possibility of a trade. One of the best things about this hobby is the trading and the people you meet from it. What I am saying is that there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it and it seems that lately there have been a number of people doing it the wrong way. So this is just a gentle reminder for all of us to remember to think about what we are doing when we PM/email someone and the make sure we are respecting the person we are contacting.

As far as "lurkers" snagging things on the trading posts are concerned... That is not as directly involved in what I was talking about because they are at least acting under the umbrella of what is posted in the trade post. And yes, stipulations can help in this regard. Hence the reason that I have put in all my past giveaway threads the "once they are gone they are really all gone" closer. Prior to that I was getting people asking even after I had closed things out. And even after I started adding it I have gotten one message asking if I was "really" out or were there still some I had kept behind...

Which brings me to another point about respecting people. If someone does put a stipulation or a disclaimer or a specific request on a topic, they put it there for a reason and as such that stipulation/disclaimer/request should be respected.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 05-22-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro i know you gave me 2 cephalotus awhile ago and i did thank you, but i would like to thank you further. If there is anything i could do to show my appreciation pleasse let me kow in the future and i will be MORE than happy to comply.
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Which brings me to another point about respecting people. If someone does put a stipulation or a disclaimer or a specific request on a topic, they put it there for a reason and as such that stipulation/disclaimer/request should be respected.
    Another good example of this is if someone posts photos of plants that are rare or beautiful hybrids they have created that no one else has and they post a request to "please do not ask or pm for these plants". That request should be honored no matter how badly you desire a division. Has this happened to me? YES. On EVERY post that has ever shown pics of my plants, regardless of the request to DO NOT ASK! And people wonder why I rarely show pics of my collection. It's a known fact I do not have capability of posting photos on my own...but I do have friends that do it for me. Will I continue to post pics? Yes, of course. But I can rest assured the requests will come in, albeit not as plentiful.

Also, I find it personally irritating when someone posts a photo of a beautiful specimen for the specific purpose of sharing its beauty with the community and said photo is followed by comments such as.."WOW, that's incredible! Please put me down for a cutting or a division when it's ready". I don't recall seeing a disclaimer that stated cuttings were going to be offered. I know this is sometimes said in jest...but to me..it comes across as showing a lack of constraint and just grubbing for a piece of that plant.

Over the past year I became aquainted with a forum member who is somewhat active here..but more active elsewhere. He/she sent me pm's that were very flattering. Said person wanted to converse with me more often because he/she felt I had a great deal of experience/expertise and one of the most beautiful collections they had seen. Every pm was closed with the following sentence.."please feel free to send me cuttings or divisions of any plants that you have that I would like to grow". And I do mean EVERY pm. If a trade offer was made, by they not me, I would turn them down only to read that same sentence..only phrased differently..."I'm sorry I don't have anything you like. Please feel free to send me cuttings/divisions of your plants and maybe we can work something out later when I do have something you want". Talk about having a huge set of you-know-what!

Needless to say this individual was not interested in being my friend and just talking cps. He/she was ONLY interested in what they could squelch out of me. They have been added to my 'BLACK LIST'..which I have been keeping track of for many years now. I keep track of how these folks conduct themselves not only in my threads..but in others as well. I hate to be a hard **** about it but it's not like I don't trade or gift plants to people. My generosity is renowned beyond compare. 99.99% of the time I request nothing in return. The people who don't grub are the benefactors.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice hack to the board would be an ignore list for PMs only. Right now if you add someone to your ignore list it blacks out their postings in the board reader too. You can set your PMs to only accept messages from your buddy list but once in a great while you get an interesting PM from someone not on your buddy list.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Pyro & Philcula have covered most of the issues, I'll add one small permutation.

When I post trades / giveaways, I've always added a line stating something about "No sales". Regardless of this, I have gotten requests to purchase these items from someone every time I have posted. As Phil stated earlier, if someone puts a request in a post, it's wise to honor it. While my blacklist is probably not as extensive as Phil's, these people typically go to the end of the line in upcoming giveaways / trades.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast