Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimmie-Gimmie sydrome

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For people to even THINK about if they want to post pictures or not because they don't want that wave of gimme pms is ridiculous. If it has come to this here, then there is a problem. I've looked into a hack to block people from your PM but not the board and there is not one. The consensus is, if you don't want a PM from an individual so bad... you should add them to your ignore list...

BUT! I just added a "report" button to the PMs. So if you receive spam from a spammer, begging from someone (when the post says not to) or whatever else you think needs to be reported... Feel free to use that button and the mods will see the PM and be able to contact the person. This is covered in the rules. For example:
    Also it is quite rude to badger people VIA PM/IM about plants that they have in their grow list that they havent mentioned they would like to trade/give away. Big NO NO!
    Typically if someone has something they want to trade... they will let the community know. Or on their growlist, they add "trades always welcome" etc. Warnings, temp bans, and please don't let it happen, permanent bans will be used if necessary to protect our members from this type of behavior. Follow the authors requests... You don't want them gone do ya? ...I don't.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has only happened to me a couple of times where I've gotten random requests for stuff. I wanted to put a particular plant up for trade, but knew that I'd be bombarded with outstretched hands so I never did. I did find a home for it without bothering with public listings.

And here I felt terrible about requesting stuff last month knowing that I'd probably have to only pay shipping due to the lack of tradeworthy plants. I don't feel quite as bad now. I had no idea that this problem was as widespread as it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to all of the people here who've given me free plants/seeds, I haven't forgotten you guys! As soon as I can acquire some seed or plant to give away, you guys will be the first to know. I've started propogating some stuff, so that shouldn't be too long. I don't generally like to trade suff because often I can't bear to part with a plant after growing it for a year or so, but sooner or later I've got to get over that and start trading stuff. besides, I'm running out of space! Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone thought I was some kind of plant hoarder . I'm guilty of offering to purchase things via PM that were offered up for trade, under the pretense of "if you can't find any good trades, there's always ME!!!!!" Sorry if that was annoying.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some people have extras of things that unless you ask they might not otherwise think about trading, and if they did want to trade and posted a thread then you have competition.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the free Holiday Inn wifi here....

I'm very sorry to here about that. I, too, have gotten requests like that before. People really think they're entitled to some things. The irony is that if the people who ask me for things had not asked for it, I would have given it to them, but they miss out because of their greed. Travis, you're SUPER generous, and the thought of people thinking they're entitled to something like that makes me so sad!

I know Philcula doesn't like posting pictures because people bug him. That's really unfortunate, because his pictures are AMAZING.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad Travis opened up this discussion. Actually I'm quite appalled. It's shocking to hear these things that are going on privately via email or PM. I didn't know so much of that was going on. Talk about a skeleton in the closet!

Geez....where are the MANNERS? Please? Thank you? Not asking but waiting 'til something is offered?

Everyone here needs to remember that if they PM someone with a request (or demand), you may not be the only one. Hence, a member could be getting t lots of these rude requests. Just imagine if that were happing to you. Would you like it?

This is an extraordinarily generous community. I hope people learn something from this thread. Don't kill the goose who lays the golden egg! If these abuses continue, we'll lose all the generous offers and beautiful photographs we get to see.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope this thread doesn't create a shadow of fear about grow lists, photos, blind requests, etc. Of course there's a polite way to do anything and a not so polite way. But I for one, enjoy random communication I get from people, even if the rude one comes every now and then. Which it hasn't, and if it does, it wouldn't bother me, I'd just ignore it like a ComEd bill.

Seeing some of these ebay auctions ending for $600 plus for cuttings really throws some people's collections into the spot light. I don't really understand why I'd ever fear publishing my grow list, or sharing photographs of those plants as a result of it. If you have the honor of growing such a fine specimen / rare plant, you're the CP community equivalent of a movie star. Famous people get badgered for pictures, autographs, mementos all the time as well. To me, I think that's just part of the honor of being someone important, or at least popular.

Maybe some days I'll suffer CP community fame, but until now I'll just keep dreaming of that moment and checking my 0 unread pvt's. ::sigh, dreams::

Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    BUT! I just added a "report" button to the PMs. So if you receive spam from a spammer, begging from someone (when the post says not to) or whatever else you think needs to be reported... Feel free to use that button and the mods will see the PM and be able to contact the person. This is covered in the rules. For example: Typically if someone has something they want to trade... they will let the community know. Or on their growlist, they add "trades always welcome" etc. Warnings, temp bans, and please don't let it happen, permanent bans will be used if necessary to protect our members from this type of behavior. Follow the authors requests... You don't want them gone do ya? ...I don't.
    Cool! But given the number of replies on many of the Grow Lists obviously people aren't reading the Grow List section rules either:
    2. No replies in the grow list forum.. PM the member for comments/discussion/etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast