What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimmie-Gimmie sydrome

^^
did you have them blacklisted? There is a deadbeat traders thread on here

Adding to this thread, at the risk of beating a dead horse... what I used to get, back when I had a plant nursery, was people, kids usually, demanding high priced Nepenthes or Heliamphora, to be sent to places they couldnt possibly grow them. The exchanges usually were phone calls and went as follows...

them: hey, I want an Nep , how much?
me: $
them: Thats a lot of money, can you hold one for me so I can get the money from my parents?
me: sure,
them: Will it grow outside?
me: Where do you live?
them: Miami... why?
me: It wont grow outside in Miami, it is too hot for it. This is a high altitude, cool growing plant. it wouild need an air conditioned greenhouse or something like that... and I would spell out the growing req.s of this Nep.
them: I can stick it in the shade or in the house.
me: do you have any way to keep it colder then 80 by day and down around 50 or less by night?
them: no
me: have you ever grown any Nepenthes before?
them: No
Why do you want this one? Why not an easy warm grower like N. gracilis or khasiana etc... ? This will be dead in weeks...
them: so, Ill just get another one. or... I want the biggest pitchers...

and it would go downhill from there. I always refused to sell by then... wasnt going to kill a rare plant for no reason.

and I too want to thank those who have sent me plants recently. If I have forgotten my manners, I am not only appalled at myself and abjectly sorry, I also wish now to say that aside from a few aphids, from the moss I suspect, the plants are settling in and appear to be beginning to grow. I will get a PM out to you all shortly reporting. And thanks again...
over-stressed, living from one disaster to the next, getting worse all the time... but still trying to grow plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
That cracks me up :-)) Do you have any other stories andrew?

and it would go downhill from there. I always refused to sell by then... wasnt going to kill a rare plant for no reason.

Good on you, andrew! I admire anyone who puts a living thing over a buck. When I worked at a place that sold tropical and saltwater animals I got a lot of the same thing! I never, ever minded educating someone who simply didn't know any better but when I explained why a particular animal just flat out wouldn't live in the conditions they described having yet they still pushed to try to make me sell it really made me see red! Why the :censor: get something that is just going to die?!

over-stressed, living from one disaster to the next, getting worse all the time... but still trying to grow plants.

:-( Hope things smooth out for you!
JennB

Time for a bump I believe.

Wow I just read this thread for the first time and it just seems ridiculous that people can act like that! As one of the few Brits on here I've never been involved with a trade or giveaway but the etiquette seems so obvious I am amazed that anyone isn't overly thankful as they are expected to be. Then again, that may be the Englishman in me talking :-))

It can serve as a reminder for people new and old to follow certain guidelines when posting in trade/giveaway threads.

But then again it is not up to me to enforce it/ remind about it. So ignore it ;)

Last edited:
It can serve as a reminder for people new and old to follow certain guidelines when posting in trade/giveaway threads.
Yup - never hurts to remind folks of the general TF trading guidelines - it's easy for a newbie to miss them and start spamming the trade forum with all kinds of freebie requests.

But then again it is not up to me to enforce it/ remind about it. So ignore it ;)
While it's true that you may not be 'individually' responsible to police actions on TF, we are all collectively accountable & responsible for the type of community we create (or allow to be created) here on Terra. Much better to try & gently push people in the right direction when poor behaviors are first observed than trying to correct a larger problem later ...

Thanks for the reminder Mr. za

not really, no..
there is no need to bump threads unless there is something new to post.
Scot,
Your assumption that there was no reason for the bump might want to be revisited with a simple visit over to the most-obvious forum for a perusal of the recent submissions. Even if this wasn't obvious to those of us with under 2700 posts, this thread is a good reminder in general to help those who have a significant ongoing onslaught of unsolicited freebie requests. It also serves to remind us all what the forum could easily become without community vigilance.

Last edited:
Adding to this thread, at the risk of beating a dead horse... what I used to get, back when I had a plant nursery, was people, kids usually, demanding high priced Nepenthes or Heliamphora, to be sent to places they couldnt possibly grow them. The exchanges usually were phone calls and went as follows...

them: hey, I want an Nep , how much?
me: $
them: Thats a lot of money, can you hold one for me so I can get the money from my parents?
me: sure,
them: Will it grow outside?
me: Where do you live?
them: Miami... why?
me: It wont grow outside in Miami, it is too hot for it. This is a high altitude, cool growing plant. it wouild need an air conditioned greenhouse or something like that... and I would spell out the growing req.s of this Nep.
them: I can stick it in the shade or in the house.
me: do you have any way to keep it colder then 80 by day and down around 50 or less by night?
them: no
me: have you ever grown any Nepenthes before?
them: No
Why do you want this one? Why not an easy warm grower like N. gracilis or khasiana etc... ? This will be dead in weeks...
them: so, Ill just get another one. or... I want the biggest pitchers...

and I too want to thank those who have sent me plants recently. If I have forgotten my manners, I am not only appalled at myself and abjectly sorry, I also wish now to say that aside from a few aphids, from the moss I suspect, the plants are settling in and appear to be beginning to grow. I will get a PM out to you all shortly reporting. And thanks again...

Kudos to you Andrew!!:boogie:

I wholeheartedly agree. Over the last 25 yrs I have breed/imported and sold fresh/saltwater fish, reptiles and amphibians. Part of the reward of dealing with living things and the public, is educating them.

When it comes to husbandry, not knowing something, is exactly that, there is something you do not know. Not knowing something and not caring that you do not know is just plain ignorant and you should not be able to own, possess or keep any living thing. Including children.

My experiences with living things is a passion, always has been and always will be. Ignorant people do not make me want to rip my hair out.....I want to rip their hair out.:censor:

Sorry for the rant, I am just appalled at the "dumbification" of the world and the acceptance of such behaivior.

I like the way you talk...could not have said it better myself, thank you.

Yup - never hurts to remind folks of the general TF trading guidelines - it's easy for a newbie to miss them and start spamming the trade forum with all kinds of freebie requests.

While it's true that you may not be 'individually' responsible to police actions on TF, we are all collectively accountable & responsible for the type of community we create (or allow to be created) here on Terra. Much better to try & gently push people in the right direction when poor behaviors are first observed than trying to correct a larger problem later ...

Thanks for the reminder Mr. za

Scot,
Your assumption that there was no reason for the bump might want to be revisited with a simple visit over to the most-obvious forum for a perusal of the recent submissions. Even if this wasn't obvious to those of us with under 2700 posts, this thread is a good reminder in general to help those who have a significant ongoing onslaught of unsolicited freebie requests. It also serves to remind us all what the forum could easily become without community vigilance.

I totally agree with this, I have never sent a PM for a trade request where I demanded that I get what I want. I have had some people PM me and I have been pleased will the overall respect that I get, but then again there are exceptions.

Thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread, it is a great resource for Trade Etiquette regarding Newbies and Veterans alike.

Just got a PM a week or so ago along the lines of, "I saw you giving someone some plants, can I have some too?"

>.>;

Good way to kill people's generosity. God forbid I give someone something, might end up getting hounded by randoms. o.o;;

It's not too bad if they're willing to trade, however when they are just asking, it can get annoying and downright rude.

Just got a PM a week or so ago along the lines of, "I saw you giving someone some plants, can I have some too?"

>.>;

Good way to kill people's generosity. God forbid I give someone something, might end up getting hounded by randoms. o.o;;

I totally agree. It's sad that rude people demanding something could make someone think twice before posting a trade or giveaway. :-(

It's unfortunate not to be able to give public kudos to the awesome people here who are benevolent enough to give out plants. But that's the reason why. :(

When they heard that I didn't yet have any plants two members of this board generously offered to share their plants with me, I never asked a soul for a plant. I took what they offered gratefully, promptly paid the small shipping fees they asked for, contacted them the minute the plants were safely in my hands so that they wouldn't worry, made sure not to mention their names as the ones who gave me plants without their permission, and have faithfully promised both of them that as soon as the plants they gave me can be reproduced I will pay it forward by giving some away to others. No one told me to do things that way, it just seems to be common sense to me! It's a GIFT and you should act like it!! I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would act any other way but just in case someone does need to be told (and it's obvious from this thread that some DO need to be told) I'm glad this thread is here to do that.

When they heard that I didn't yet have any plants two members of this board generously offered to share their plants with me, I never asked a soul for a plant. I took what they offered gratefully, promptly paid the small shipping fees they asked for, contacted them the minute the plants were safely in my hands so that they wouldn't worry, made sure not to mention their names as the ones who gave me plants without their permission, and have faithfully promised both of them that as soon as the plants they gave me can be reproduced I will pay it forward by giving some away to others. No one told me to do things that way, it just seems to be common sense to me! It's a GIFT and you should act like it!! I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone would act any other way but just in case someone does need to be told (and it's obvious from this thread that some DO need to be told) I'm glad this thread is here to do that.

In the words of KC & The Sunshine Band, "That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh."

I've heard a few dismal stories, from a number of members of this site, where the people requesting freebies not only had the nerve to be "beggars" and "choosers," but actually became irate when things weren't shipped cheap enough. You receive $50 worth of plants and complain because a flat rate box is $4 more than a box you make yourself? It's pretty stupefying.. and for this reason I try not to mention who I trade with when receiving new plants, lest the mass emails start bombarding that person.

Back