Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stimulating the No'leans Economy

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 2 - Swamp Tour and Misc.

So my wife and I took a swamp tour today. It was simply beautiful, serene, peaceful, and amazing. Here are a few of the tons of pictures I took. The water level was a foot and a half about flood stages because of all the rain recently, so we were able to go places that are normally unavailable this time of year.

Then we encountered our first wildlife: the Great Blue Heron, which eats 60 - 70% of the baby alligator population during their first year of live after hatching.

Then we saw a couple of gators. This particular one was about five and half feet long, so just fresh from coming out to play with the "big boys" in the main stream flow.

Continued...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the areas that would be unaccessible if the flood level was lower.

The water was so clear, but so dark from all the tannins. Next we saw a couple more birds. I was only able to get some terrible pictures of the barred owl. I've zoomed up some to help point them out but it was starting to get cloudy, and with the tree cover it was getting dark and my camera wasn't responding well.

The barred owl:

He's on the left middle.

I can't find him now, but I know he's in that picture. I have it zoomed a little later on, so I'll remember where he is in a few minutes, lol.

And flying:

Continued...

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of the largest Cyprus trees still left in this area that wasn't stripped for lumber. Cyprus is a very hard, stable wood that termites don't eat, so it was very popular as a lumber for construction (albeit very expensive). This tree stands because it's dead. It doesn't look dead, but it certainly is dying. Apparently it was struck by lighting between 1790-something and 1802, and then developed a disease that attacks from the inside-out, bottom to top. The branches at the top look perfect, but the bottom looks terrible.

And now for some of the homes on the bayou.

The water level came up to a foot above the American flag during Katrina in the next picture.

This "X" was a symbol used during search and rescue after Katrina came through. The 2 means it was the second day, the zero means no dead bodies were found, above the 0 should have been the number of dead animals found in that building, and the right side should have had whatever unit or jurisdiction searched the building.

And a poor tree that is growing around some rope...

Continued...

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of videos of the gator near our boat that I will upload later, it's taking too long to upload over this wireless in the bar of my hotel (can't get wireless in the room).

A couple closeups of some of the other shots I've posted.

And the owl picture I couldn't find him in:

And the previously mentioned Cafe du Monde.

I can't even remember what we're doing tomorrow. I know it will be awesome.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    It' always about partying.
    PAK - We haven't partied at all (except for the wine and drinks we've had, lol); but, we walked down Bourbon Street at night tonight and just took it in. It's not crazy, packed, or out of control. There is so much to do around the entire city, not just in the French Quarter.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, NOLA's not all about the partying... it's got a bad reputation... but there is a lot of that going on down there. Bourbon is PACKED on the weekeds usually. It's crazy. I tend to stay away from Bourbon when I go 'cause it's so nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my wife and I actually watched the last half of transformers in a bar tonight. Talk about wild! lol. It really is all about the culture and the people.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice swamp pictures I remember when I was 10 my dad, brother and me went to conoe in Jean Lafitte Swamp or maybe it was another one I think it might had Bayou in it's name it's been so long well anyways I had alot of fun there we went to an area where no one else was it was sorta scary, but neat I saw alligators, herons, turtles, and various plants and birds my older brother was really scared because of the aligators, but we survived and ate some sandwhiches and Zapp's chips afterwords.

I'm glad you and your wife having fun thanks for the pictures I haven't seen a great blue heron in a long time and that Cyprus tree looks nice I miss seeing those big trees my neighbor had a nice big one in his yard it stood up to the hurricane pretty well.

I hope next year me and my family can visit Louisiana again to take plantation tours maybe stay in the Myrtles plantation also I'd like to go to Natchez in Mississippi too that place has some nice plantations last time I went alot of cats there.

Kinda sad in that picture of the blue heron there's trash soda bottles and cans makes me mad kinda reminds me of my pond when I moved to our new house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast