Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stimulating the No'leans Economy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I like it soo much in Nawlin's that was the theme of our wedding. Instead of numbers, each table at the reception had a name like, "Bourbon Street", "St. Charles Streetcar", "Cafe Dumond", etc.

There's a Cajun-Zydeco festival up here in a few weeks and some big names will be playing there like Michael Doucet & Beausoleil. The music is sooo cool you can't help but dance. I actually bought a Cajun Accordion, but haven't had the time to learn it.

I do make recipes from Paul Prudhomme's books. You just can't get that kinda food up here!

Have fun Xvart!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beausoleil is greeeeat!

Yeah, I think the things I miss the most after I left LA is the music and the food... We should have a CP meeting in New Orleans. ;-)

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only partying I saw while I was there was on and around bourbon st. I had to go just to "see the sites". It was pretty crazy though.
    There are other things to see other than Bourbon st. The battles of New Orleans site was pretty interesting.

There is a little museum that is free and it has the entire history of NO. Then we walked into the back room and there was a woman that was cooking gumbo. She was a local Indian, and she explained their history, way of life, and how it was when she was a child. Her and her daughter showed how they made baskets. They had dolls that were made from Spanish moss. The dolls were black and they said that when the moss died it turned from gray to black.

The gumbo was not the traditional gumbo you'd think of from NO. It was made from file. Pronounced fele.

I also went to Cafe du Monde. It wasn't by choice though. It was on my wife's lists of things to do. She said she had heard that you have to go to Cafe du Monde. I had no idea what she was talking about. So I asked what it was and she said it's like a restaurant. I asked what was so special about it and she said that she wanted to try the cafe au lait and beignets. Of course I said "What the hell is that?"

She said it's like a doughnut. We got there and there was a line all the way around the building.
    I told her there is no way I'm waiting in that line for a ******* doughnut.

I don't even like doughnuts. I told her I'd take her to Dunkin doughnuts when we get back home. She said it's not the same, beignets has powered sugar on it.
    I told her that I'll buy some powered sugar and put it on her dunkin doughnut.
    So I won that argument and we were walking down the street a little while later and I saw a sign that said "Beignets". More important there was no line at all. So being the nice understanding man that I am, I suggested that we go there and she can get the beignets. She told me it wasn't the same because she wanted to get one from Cafe du Monde. Of course I can't see the difference, so I told her that they had the same thing at that place and they didn't have the hour long line. I reminded her that there was no way I was going to wait inline that long for a doughnut.

So about 30 mins later we were back at Cafe du Monde trying to find where the end of the line is. That's when I discovered that the line was for take out and not for a table. I saw an empty table and we sat down. The waitress came over and my wife ordered a cafe au lait and a beignet. I was looking at the menu trying to find something to drink. All they had was different kind of coffee and beignets. I don't really like sweet things nor coffee. So I ordered the only thing on the menu that I did like, milk.

About two minutes later the waitress brought back my wifes cafe au lait, my milk and two plates of these doughy things covered under an ungodly amount of powered sugar.

So then I was stuck with a plateful of beignets. . The sugar melted and it was like a glaze. They weren't like a doughnut at all. I ate them and they weren't bad. I wouldn't want to go back for more, but like I said I don't like sweets, but they were pretty good.

Those swamp pics looks like the rivers here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    The gumbo was not the traditional gumbo you'd think of from NO. It was made from file. Pronounced fele.
    Lots of people pronounce file like "fee-lay." File is actually dried and ground up leaves from the sassafras tree (the roots of the tree are what gives root beer its flavor). File adds a unique flavor to the gumbo while acting as a thickening agent. When I left Louisiana and moved to Arkansas, I couldn't find file anywhere and I ended up buying some when I would go home and visit my folks. I have been able to find it for sale here on occaision now, and I even ate at a cajun restaurant in NW Arkansas (Copeland's - it's a chain based out of New Orleans) and I asked the waiter if they had file... he didn't even know what it was.

I'm slow to eat gumbo outside of Louisiana 'cause it's usually not right. I ordered it one time and it was red. Gumbo by definition is made with a dark roux and contains okra. When I cook gumbo I typically use chicken and andouille (cajun smoked sausage) as the meats and lots of the cajun trinity (bell pepper, onion, celery) and some garlic. YUM! Pour it over some rice and it's good to go! Seafood gumbo is gooooood too!

Will

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So about 30 mins later we were back at Cafe du Monde trying to find where the end of the line is.
    The POWER of WOMEN!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The POWER of WOMEN!
    Women are like real life super heros. Their super power is the power of nagging.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    File is actually dried and ground up leaves from the sassafras tree (the roots of the tree are what gives root beer its flavor).
    Yes she explained that. She said that salt water has killed most of the trees. So it was getting hard to find (at least where she lives.) Yhe gumbo she made was seafood gumbo and it was like really clear. She gave us a recipe.

My wife went to the grocery store to look for file. I told her she was wasting her time. She asked for it and they told her they didn't know what she was talking about.
    Again I told her there was 0 chance of her finding file in the grocery store.
    That's when she found it in the seafood section.

I think she used her superpower on the people that worked there and they printed a label and stuck it on a bottle just to get shut her up.
    lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To experience New Orleans, avoid all bars and restaurants you've ever heard of. The fact that the owner has a self-promotional streak that attracts a TV audience doesn't make a restaurant any better. The wait will be longer, the price will be higher, the service will be rushed and you might as well be in Manhattan.

As for file, I've even found it here in CT. It's been a while, since I'm vegetarian now and don't make gumbo, but it's pretty widely available. Make sure you turn off the heat when you add it because it can't boil.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast