Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stimulating the No'leans Economy

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stimulating the No'leans Economy

My wife and I arrived in New Orleans this morning for a quick vacation to celebrate her graduation and her new job and spending our stimulus rebate checks that we haven't received yet. We've spent all day walking around the French Quarter, up and down, and all around. I had the most amazing Shrimp and Grits today... Also some Gumbo/Jambalaya... Fantastic stuff! We went to the aquarium and took a haunted history tour which was actually quite fascinating and engaging. I am in love with this area and want to buy up one of the apartment/condos in this area with a gallery (balcony) hanging over so I can watch everyone below while growing fantastic CPs!

I can't remember everything else we're doing, but I know we're going on a bog tour, going to Emeril's restaurant, and some other stuff. We leave on Saturday.

Here are some pictures I wanted to quickly share (I had some fun messing around with our camera's color settings, which I had never done before. Since we just got a new camera, we are going to try and get some high quality photos to frame):

I know that's quite the variety of images, and not really a good representation of what we actually did today; but I had a lot of other pictures, these just turned out the best.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy !
    Is that DMX in the first pic?
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in NO, this past March. It's an awesome place. Very unique. There is a lot of history there, if you know where to look.

One this you must do before you leave, if you haven't already done it, is to drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. It's the longest bridge in the world at 24 miles. You drive forever and see nothing but water. It's so long that you can't see land at all.

Have a good time and take a lot of pics, especially on Bourbon St. late at night.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago my company sent a bunch of us to N.O. for work at a landfill. We stayed at a hotel called the Ponchertrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwww....xvart, now you've gone and made me homesick! Those are some great shots!

There's a lot of really neat stuff to see down there... and some delicious food. I hope you have a great trip!

There is a colony of feral quaker parrots that live in the French Quarter (I think around Magazine St.). You might be able to see them and will definitely be able to hear them! You should check out Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo if you didn't see it on the Haunted History tour (it's a little creepy, but fun).

Make sure you eat some crawfish while you're down there. They're in season right now, so they should be REALLY good!

Enjoy and laissez le bon temps roulez!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Orleans is a really beautiful place. I wish I could have visited it pre-Katrina. I went down there in 2005 during my spring break, to help out the people down there with my local church.

Make sure to stop at café au lait and get some beignets. I love how everything is open up to the streets, so as you walk by you feel like you're already in there. Beautiful city.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Gretna Louisiana for around 20 years had to move due to Katrina our house was well pretty much undamaged except for fence down a few windows broken and roof leak somewhere luckily I was at a anime convention in Lafayette Louisiana when it happened and stayed at my brothers there too my mom was a nurse so she went to help at her job intill things cleared up.

I had the best 20 years there Mardi Gras, different festivals, the zoo, and the aquarium also going to eat beignets allmost every saturday at the mall was yummy also my grandmother used to lived at Magazine st. and I'd allways hear and see the quaker parrots and they'd sometimes go to here bird feeder and another thing my Grandmother is kinda crazy one time she told my family that she is a reincarnation of a Voodoo queen thing is she is born in Indiana.

I hope you had fun xvart I'll be going there for my brother's wedding in July and another week to go see my old home, my friends, and to go to the aquarium, zoo, and see where Marine Life used to be it's said the whole place was flatten amazingly the dolphins survived and are in Florida still I think I remember playing with the baby dolphins throwing the ball to them if I ever get a decent internet I'll have to post pictures of the dolphins and the sealions.. =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71 View Post
    New Orleans is a really beautiful place. I wish I could have visited it pre-Katrina. I went down there in 2005 during my spring break, to help out the people down there with my local church.

Make sure to stop at café au lait and get some beignets. I love how everything is open up to the streets, so as you walk by you feel like you're already in there. Beautiful city.
    Yes, Outsiders is right about that... Cafe du Monde is the place to go! Nothing like a good cafe au lait and beignets.

I'm heading back down to New Orleans in September and it can't get here fast enough!

If you didn't have the opportunity to visit New Orleans pre-Katrina, most of the major tourist spots like the French Quarter and such look like they were never touched... they look almost exactly like they did before the storm. The last time I was there I stayed at St. Peter's House hotel just a couple of blocks off of Bourbon. It's the rest of the city that's in shambles. Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005 and in 2007 much of the damage was still there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast